PDA

View Full Version : Snow Lion Down Bag

Loneoak
03-08-2010, 22:25
Anyone know much about them. I just purchased a used one (purple in color) that is in excellent condition. Also, your opinion on what to use to wash it. The guy i got it from thought it was about a 20 degree bag.

Elder
03-08-2010, 22:36
Wow, really old school!
If the nylon is good the down will be excellant!
Any good down wash, or take it to the cleaners!
Great find.

Loneoak
03-08-2010, 22:48
Thanks Elder, im hoping some of the old school folks here, remember this bag and know the rating on it. It's in great shape

Snowleopard
03-09-2010, 10:25
Don't dry clean it.
Do wash it. Be very careful lifting it while it's wet; it's easy to rip the interior baffles. Squeeze the water out first. Here's some directions:
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Product%20Tips%20and%20Care Don't "re-treat the outer shell", yours is too old and never had a DWR treatment to renew.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=981840&postcount=8

Once you've washed and dried it and have it nicely fluffed, lay it out and measure the thickness. The thickness through top + bottom is the loft. Compare this loft to other good down sleeping bags specs and that'll give you a rough temp rating.

tammons
03-12-2010, 20:54
They were the bast bags made in the late 70's early 80's.
Top quality stuff.

I have a -40dF snowlion from that era I bought new.
Still have it and its good to go. Weighs 4# even, 10" loft and still today,
the only real improvement to a -40dF expedition bag like this is DWR in the new fabrics. Even the new ones with the SUL fabrics weigh about 4#.

I also still have an early snowlion polarguard 35dF bag. Its still good although a bit deflated. Heavy by today's standards for a 35dF bag.

If I were you I would send it off and have it washed professionally.
Cant remember the name of the best place to have this done, but
I believe skinewmexico knows the name of the company. Its not that expensive either.

If you use the wrong detergent or rip the baffle ends you are screwed.

tammons
03-12-2010, 20:59
Oh, also have a winter Snowlion polarguard parka I bought in 77. I still own/use it today and its very warm and has taken a beating over the years. When it gets really really cold that is the jacket I grab. Of course I have to fight my 85 YO mom for it sometimes.

Its got a few rips tears and holes in it here and there.
The zipper ends are worn out a bit. Its got some patches and repair tape on it here and there but I taped it together and they still work fine.

I would not hesitate to take it on a long winter hike even at 33 years old.