PDA

View Full Version : Pochuck Bridge & boardwalk dedicated in Vernon, NJ

MOWGLI
11-03-2002, 09:04
Although the boardwalk and Pochuck Bridge were open for this season, the project was just dedicated earlier in October. I live about 10 minutes from this part of the trail. During my 2000 thru-hike I had to do the long road walk like those before me. Finally, the longest road walk on the AT is no more. Here's a link to the local trail club's homepage with articles, photos, etc.. There was also an article in the NY Times about the project. That site requires registration however (free) and archived articles cost $$ to
view.

http://www.nynjtc.org/press/2002/pochuck.html

Moose2001
11-03-2002, 11:22
Thank goodness the road walk is finally history. The day we walked this it was 90+ in the hot sunshine, cars screaming past you inches away. I thought we were NEVER going to get off the road. Really look forward to seeing this on my 2003 hike.

Kerosene
11-03-2002, 20:37
Ahh, timing is everything. I have literally section hiked all but 21 miles between Buena Vista, Virginia and Glencliff, New Hampshire over the past 30 years, with 19 of those miles between Unionville, New York and Vernon, New Jersey over Pochuck Mountain. Glad to see that I won't have to go through that road walk now. I'll knock this piece off in the next year or two when I go back east to visit relatives.

Hammock Hanger
11-03-2002, 20:38
I walked the new walk this year, nice NOT to have to walk on the road. HH

Jumpstart
11-05-2002, 08:32
The boardwalk was one of our favorite parts of the trail, it was so nice not to have walk on the road, and as you walk over the boardwalk you can't help but think of all the incredibly hard work it must have taken the trail workers to build it. It's quite the masterpiece, and the bridge at the end is fun...