PDA

View Full Version : What about feet? Need some past Thru Hiker feedback.

MotoGypsy
03-09-2010, 10:36
Hey Guys...

I got a pair of Asolo boots at the REI scratch and dent, they are brand new! I typically wear about 7.5-8, these are a 9; I have been told to expect that my feet will swell/grow as much as two sizes! Is this consistent with those of you that have thru hiked?

I have about 10 miles on them already (real miles-Hiking) and I have had a small hot spot on the heel but no real blisters. I have a pair of Montrail trail runners that I love for my summer shoes, but I figured I better have boots for trudging through the snow and ice... leaving next weekend.

Any feedback is much appreciated!
:jump

SGT Rock
03-09-2010, 10:53
I guess it depends on how much you hike now. If you don't hike a lot before you thru they can grow. Mine didn't.

I'd just hike with what you have and wait and see what happens. If your feet grow and the boots stop fitting you have places along the AT about a week apart for the first few weeks that are pretty much on the trail and can help you get something that will work for you.

Smokestacks
03-09-2010, 11:01
you may be able to use your montrails leaving when you are. my wife and i are starting the first week of april and both using trailrunners. i also managed to do the first 300 miles last year and saw tons of trailrunners. bring some plastic bags for those mushy days.

Smokestacks
03-09-2010, 11:04
oh and we only get them a half size bigger. i hope this could help.

d.o.c
03-09-2010, 11:10
I started my thru with my montrails on march 20th was fine i got mine a half size bigger and was fine got snow in tenn and they got completely soaked had to wear bags on my feet ha

MotoGypsy
03-09-2010, 11:13
Thanks guys, I have been wishy washy about my shoe slecetion for about 3 weeks... now it is time to leave! :-?

I also have 2 screws in my right heel... so I am super foot sensitive (literally).

MotoGypsy
03-09-2010, 11:14
Thanks guys, I have been wishy washy about my shoe slecetion for about 3 weeks... now it is time to leave! :-?

I also have 2 screws in my right heel... so I am super foot sensitive (literally).

I also wish I could type/spell... LOL

burger
03-09-2010, 11:14
My feet grew a half size in the first 400 miles of a long section hike. A couple of years later, I did the entire PCT and my feet didn't grow at all. YMWV.

As for blisters, in my experience, hot spots during training almost always turn into full-fledged blisters once you're on the trail. If you have trail runners you love, I'd go with them. You can always get new shoes along the way.

Spot In The Sky
03-09-2010, 11:15
Ive got the Asolo 520s and they are super comfortable and handle weight really well on hikes.

Many Walks
03-09-2010, 11:16
It will be good to have a little extra space in your boots so your toes don't smash into them going down the GA hills.

skinny minnie
03-09-2010, 11:50
I live in New England and the majority of my winter hikes are in trail runners - the one time I was unhappy was when it was zero degrees and my feet got wet - thankfully that was a dayhike! Although... there was an overnight in the Whites where they got wet in early April and that wasn't so fun either, in retrospect. It all depends on temps, really. Wet feet are tolerable unless it's too cold. Then it's awful. You're still going to get wet cold feet in boots, they'll just be heavier. And boots take forever to dry.

Some people do a sock liner, then a vapor barrier layer (can be as simple as a plastic bread or produce bag or an actual VB or goretex sock - which is much thicker) and then a wool sock with their trail runner. The VBL keeps the insulating sock warm, and liner socks are light enough that you could pack multiple pairs. Of course, shoe size needs to go up to allow for extra layers.

If I were leaving for the trail now instead of April I'd take trail runners still. :) My one precaution would probably be the produce baggie layer and a sock liner. Also at the end of the day - put your shoes in a plastic bag inside your sleeping bag in cold temps - or at least sleep with the liners. Putting on frozen shoes sucks. And if you had a hot spot and stick with the boots... definitely bring some moleskin padding and watch out for that.

skinny minnie
03-09-2010, 11:52
Let me quickly add an edit: the VBL sock keeps the insulating sock dry, not warm. Sorry! And the liner is there for comfort/wicking. Gotta keep the feet as dry as possible :) good luck on your hike! I'll look for you in the shelter registers, since I'll be so far behind we probably won't meet... unless it's at traildays.

MotoGypsy
03-10-2010, 07:06
Thank you guys.... I have decided on the Trail Runners.

I picked up some VLB's yesterday and probably will give them a try today... since it is raining in GA again!!! :mad:

Rambler
03-10-2010, 08:11
Neoprene, waterproof socks will keep your feet warmer, but not dry. They do take the cold sting away that one ususally feels when a foot goes into a puddle. Waterproof socks take a long while to dry and they absorb foot oder,ie. they stink.
One can hike in winter in New England with low cuts, but you are seriuosly risking frostbite. Insulated boots are now comfortable and lightweight and they keep toes warm. Those with removeablefelt liners are best for keeping footwear warm at night and for drying out because the felt bootie can be taken out of the shell.
Some have hiked the AT in sandals, including slogging through snow.
Hike your own hike.
Look into "Possum Down" "natural fiber" socks, cozy in the cold.

Duct tape works well over the heel to prevent blisters, but a breatable bandage like Leukotape works well, too. Hydropel prevents chaffing.

http://www.fixingyourfeet.com/Taping-for-Blisters.html