PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Pad

partinj
03-09-2010, 13:02
Just wonder if any of you put your sleeping pad inside your sleeping bag
instead of under the sleeping bag. I figure you can't roll off it that way.
:-?

Manwich
03-09-2010, 13:03
I do when it's warmer out. When its colder out, the extra air inside will get colder and you'll lose insulation / create condensation. I'd blow my big agnes up then slide it inside my Montbell Hugger (which has elastic)

Blissful
03-09-2010, 14:10
Big Agnes bags are built to accept pads like that, they have a sleeve. My BA air core would never fit into my bag.

leaftye
03-09-2010, 14:19
I've put my pad into my bivy, but not into my sleeping bag.

white_russian
03-09-2010, 15:14
You could just get a wider pad. Mine pad is 30 inches wide and I don't have any trouble staying on it.

Roland
03-09-2010, 17:29

A pad does more than provide cushion.

A pad provides a vapor barrier between you and the ground
A pad protects the bottom of your sleeping bag against cuts, abrasions, etc from rubbing against the ground (rocks, roots, sticks, etc.)

If you place your pad inside your sleeping bag, you lose the advantages listed above.

At home, do you put your bottom sheet under your mattress? :D

Kerosene
03-09-2010, 23:20
Also, I'd rather not have my bare skin against the pad (assuming I'm not wearing a lot of clothing).

jrwiesz
03-10-2010, 02:02

Under the sleeping bag, otherwise I can't get my blow-up doll inside the bag.:banana

Nevermind
03-10-2010, 04:53
Under the sleeping bag, otherwise I can't get my blow-up doll inside the bag.:banana
If you fill her up with helium, she won't add to your pack weight. In fact, she'll help carry her share of the load.

Don't use hydrogen. You don't want her to explode. Do you?

Colter
03-10-2010, 10:35

I've done that with a smaller closed-cell foam pad. Seemed to work OK although I no longer do it. Give it a try!

Trooper
03-25-2010, 15:58
At home, do you put your bottom sheet under your mattress? :D

Nail on the head roland, nail on the head.

Arden
03-27-2010, 20:51
You could just get a wider pad. Mine pad is 30 inches wide and I don't have any trouble staying on it.
hey; Thanks for that advice!
I have two of the narrow ones, and have used one under the other to give me extra padding, but I always end up slipping off.
I tried laying one next to the other, but that didn't work at all.
Next time I'm doing a long distance (or any backpacking) hike, I'll buy a wider one.

A

Arden
03-27-2010, 20:53
Actually, for the warmer months, couldn't you send your bag home, and just use the air mattress?
By the time you guys get north to Jersey, I don't think you're going to need the bags at all.

A

white_russian
03-27-2010, 22:15
hey; Thanks for that advice!
I have two of the narrow ones, and have used one under the other to give me extra padding, but I always end up slipping off.
I tried laying one next to the other, but that didn't work at all.
Next time I'm doing a long distance (or any backpacking) hike, I'll buy a wider one.

A
This is who I bought mine from. Plenty of size and thickness options from these folks.

http://www.foambymail.com/Volara.html

white_russian
03-27-2010, 22:17
Actually, for the warmer months, couldn't you send your bag home, and just use the air mattress?
By the time you guys get north to Jersey, I don't think you're going to need the bags at all.

A
maybe on the warmer days, but there are always going to be days that you will need something. a sheet maybe. of course this all depend if you sleep warm or cold. some folks can pull it off but an equal number need a little something to keep them warm