PDA

View Full Version : Bread bags as VBLs question.

grayfox
03-09-2010, 13:14
:-?There are several new types of bread and vegetable storage bags on the market that claim to keep food fresher longer and be reusable. I think that the veggie bags absorb the gas that ripens fruit prematurely. They probably wouldn't work any better than regular bags. I do not know how the bread bags work though. I wonder if they have a breathable technology like goretex. Seems to me that if that were so, they would make a great VBL. Fresh feet--what a concept!

And then there are those "steam in the bag" ones. How do they work?

I have never bought any of these because I have not found reliable recycling options for plastic and am trying to not use the stuff.

I wonder if anyone here has tried or considered any of these new products for hiking uses and what they learned. This seems like a real good year to be testing VBLs.

Mags
03-09-2010, 14:19
Breadbags aka BagTex, has long been known as a poor man's VBL. If the bags are breathable, they really aren't VBL anymore and more like (a really inefficient version of) gortex socks.

VBLs work best in cold, dry, winter conditions. Put on a liner sock, add a VBL (or bread bag) and then throw on your thick sock over that as one example. Be sure to change socks and/or air out your feet on a regular basis if you use a form of VBL.

Garlic (here on WB) (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=224909) and Pickle used a version of this method in the Smokies with trail runners when it was snowy.

When other people bailed with their frost bitten feet (with their 'safer' heavier packs and leather boots), Garlic and Pickle enjoyed one of the most crowded national parks all to themselves. :)

Also shows what I've said before...experience is more important than equipment. All the gentle readers out there, remember than when getting ready for your AT hike. :) Get what you think is the best equipment for you, get some weekend backpacking trips (with more hiking than camping) in as much as possible to see if your gear theories are correct and get in good hiking shape. Or maybe you really want to take that side trip out of the Smokies to see Dollywood (http://www.dollywood.com/) instead?

skinewmexico
03-09-2010, 22:08
I wonder if Garlic and Pickle used duct tape on their breadbags?

JAK
03-09-2010, 22:42
The only problem I have with bread bags is I don't eat alot of bread.
My oatmeal comes in long bags though. I keep forgetting to safe the bags.

If your shoes absorb less water, there is less need for a waterproof sock, because you can change your wool socks without the new pair becoming instantly saturated. Also, because the running shoes or trail shoes won't melt snow so quickly if your socks and shoes aren't so saturated with water. They don't have to be waterproof. They just need to be reasonably dry, like polyester fleece. Avoid shoes with padding that holds water.

Egads
03-09-2010, 23:18
one gallon trash bags work too, but last only one day before shredding.

skinewmexico
03-10-2010, 00:05
Put the bag on your foot, and wrap the instep with duct tape. Keeps you from blowing out the toes when your foot slides forward.

garlic08
03-10-2010, 01:18
I wonder if Garlic and Pickle used duct tape on their breadbags?

I didn't think of duct tape--one more trick to put in the bag, so to speak. Thanks.