PDA

View Full Version : Dog Claws and Sleeping Bags

TheKO
03-09-2010, 14:55
I am planning on having Rocco sleep with me in my tent. I am thinking I may have problem with his paws/claws on a down sleeping bag - poking holes in it.

Also - should I be concerned with his claws on the tent flooring?

If so, what do you guys do to protect your gear?

Two Speed
03-09-2010, 16:25
I am planning on having Rocco sleep with me in my tent. I am thinking I may have problem with his paws/claws on a down sleeping bag - poking holes in it.Hasn't been a problem so far. Odor and mud? Problem.
Also - should I be concerned with his claws on the tent flooring?See above. FWIW a dedicated pad for your dog is a good idea, as is a spare bandanna to wipe s/he down if they happen to be wet or muddy.
If so, what do you guys do to protect your gear?Basically, try to keep my dog off of clean clothes. Other than that not much.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 16:48
Two Speed im sure your dog didn't mind your odor:D
just say'n most dogs smelled much better than thier owners, not the other way-round!

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 16:52
I am planning on having Rocco sleep with me in my tent. I am thinking I may have problem with his paws/claws on a down sleeping bag - poking holes in it.

If so, what do you guys do to protect your gear?used 3 different tents over the years,never had a problem with the dogs claws,they are not going to be mad housing around in the tent,after a good day of hiking! most dogs will just want to lay down where you want them to. if you're worried about the claws, have a professional trim them before the hike and the trail(rocks,roads,etc...) will keep them wore down enough!during the journey. A sleeping pad is a MUST IMO! have a great hike...

Two Speed
03-09-2010, 17:12
Two Speed im sure your dog didn't mind your odor:D
just say'n most dogs smelled much better than thier owners, not the other way-round!Dude, I've been down wind of you, and yeah, Bear smelled better. May I suggest a closer relationship with a four letter word: soap.

'Kay, your turn.

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 17:23
i stayed alot cleaner than most of those stanky hikers! out on the trail.

thelowend
03-09-2010, 22:39
crumbsnatcher, you speak of the stanky hikers like they are a bad thing =>

KO, if you are really worried, I would look into some soft booties for your dog to cover his/her paws at night. we have some at the store i work at (i will get the brand and name to you after I work next) that are exactly what you need, fleece booties with a velcro closure. they are light, would fit in the pocket of a pair of your shorts/pants that you are already packing and would definitely cover the claws good enough to insure your tent floor stays intact. i will look into them and will also ask (if you're interested) if they would let me sell them to you over whiteblaze (im sure they would because they sure aren't selling). They are like ten bucks I think? i will look into them for you.

drifters quest
03-09-2010, 22:50
I don't seem to have any problems with the nails, but more the coming in wet! She has her own foam pad and fleece blanket, but I found covering my bag with a space blanket or something helps keep my stuff clean and drier, a piece of tyvek might work just as well I upgraded my tent to a two person tent so we will have a little more space on those rainy days.. looks like we might start out in the rain

CrumbSnatcher
03-09-2010, 23:01

If so, what do you guys do to protect your gear?
i carried two sleeping pads 1 for me(z-rest)and 1 for my dog (thermarest). she walked,sat,slepted on it hundreds of times with no problems! she had of way of using both pads at night though:D

MyName1sMud
03-12-2010, 12:03
^^^ Did Bear thru hike with you?

CrumbSnatcher
03-12-2010, 12:21
bear was my thruhiking partner, i carried an external.(which i always will)on our first trip bear owned a very light weight dog pack, which she wore less than a hundred miles before i threw it in a hiker box, when we used it, we would hike a mile or so, before putting it on her, and the last few miles i would take her pack off, both cases were to let her stretch out first and stretch out before reaching camp. After loosing the pack into a hiker box, i carried all of bears gear for the rest of our partnership. i enjoyed carrying all of our gear/food/water, and i think she liked it too.

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 16:51
I have a mountainsmith dog mat made for hiking, nylon on one side and fleece on the other, idk if claws would make a hole my the tent, but i would rather be safe