PDA

View Full Version : Mantracker Science Channel - Take a new look.

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2010, 21:48
This show at first was a bit of a silly joke. Today it's going to remote locations like British Columbia, showing the Google Earth positions, and including interesting strategy for a good game. 36 hours and 39 kilometers or 25 miles in less than two days....

My question to you is would you sign up now the show has grown up?

What do you like or dislike about the show?

Don't care? don't post.

mdgamewarden
03-09-2010, 22:48
I enjoy this show. I would love to play in my playground just outside of DC. I am sure I could outsmart him

Wise Old Owl
03-09-2010, 22:56
I have fallen off my chair cracking up tonight as there was a show "Simone & Mike" and he is running through the woods screaming like a girl wearing red & white in the woods.. didn't have a chance right from the beginning. Might as well have a target on your back.

Wise Old Owl
03-13-2010, 16:32
FYI the best part is seeing almost all the little tells he uses to find people, I once showed up after a long drive and the hiking group started on time and had a 15 minute head start, in NJ sand. there were numerous trails and starting points from the parking lot. Tracks were everywhere as people milled around between the cars and the field. I caught up to the main group after 45 minutes of double time with splits and turns on the trail, I am not good at this.

Wise Old Owl
04-25-2010, 21:28
I take it that most folk here at WB are not watching this show on the Science Channel and that is ok,

From the stratagies I have taken away from the show I saw a fresh set of boot prints today and discovered I was "tracking" someone shorter than me, same size boot and was less than an hour behind him and his large dog. The topper? He was left handed. His dog was larger.

So the show wasn't too stupid....

in fact it might be really cool.

beakerman
04-26-2010, 08:53
my biggest problem with the show is the camera guy. how in the heck do you spontaneously hide in the woods with your buddy when you are being followed by a dude with a camera on his shoulder? It just seems lto me like they re-enact portions of the show...it's funny how the camera guy always sees the tracker before the "contestants"...kind of like WWF in that sense.

I like the show because I enjoy the subject matter I just don't really enjoy the presentation thereof. Like you I have found myself tracking various folks and animals while on the trails and working out things like their size relative to mine, right or left hand and so forth. I even pulled a fast one on my scouts one day the dude onteh trail in front of us had popped in a fresh piece of big red...I got down on all fours and quickly pocketed his dropped wrapper then sniffed his track and announced---he's chewing gum---big red to be exact and we went on up the trail about a 1/4 mile ahead and there he was sitting down on a log just a chewing away...the boys were in shock. They didn't figure that one out until we were coming back and they saw this guy was a litter bug and dropped is wrappers but it gave them something to ponder.

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2010, 09:34
Very cool when you can one up on the boys. I wondered how the camera guy was doing it too and then I thought of the Gps with two way radio that has a display that sends data to show where other hunters are... thats how they make the slides for gps.

jeepcachr
04-26-2010, 09:54
I even pulled a fast one on my scouts one day the dude onteh trail in front of us had popped in a fresh piece of big red...I got down on all fours and quickly pocketed his dropped wrapper then sniffed his track and announced---he's chewing gum---big red to be exact and we went on up the trail about a 1/4 mile ahead and there he was sitting down on a log just a chewing away...the boys were in shock. They didn't figure that one out until we were coming back and they saw this guy was a litter bug and dropped is wrappers but it gave them something to ponder.
I was reading an article the other day about hiking with kids. It was talking about teaching them stuff while on the trail. The guy was telling his kid you could tell what kind of animal by their feces. You could even tell what they ate and other things about them by tasting it. He then showed his kids a fresh pile and tasted some. One kid tasted it and the other refused (that is some trust there). He later showed his kids that it was rasinettes.

beakerman
04-26-2010, 14:34
I was reading an article the other day about hiking with kids. It was talking about teaching them stuff while on the trail. The guy was telling his kid you could tell what kind of animal by their feces. You could even tell what they ate and other things about them by tasting it. He then showed his kids a fresh pile and tasted some. One kid tasted it and the other refused (that is some trust there). He later showed his kids that it was rasinettes.

See the problem with that old joke is it actually takes too much preparation. I've done that one before and seen it many times...until I saw a younger sibling pick up what i knew was not raisonettes...the day kind of went down hill fast at that point.

What made this a thing of beauty was it was a spontaneous thing I just pulled on the fly...we had been following this guy for a few miles and making note of his stride, shoe size, how deep the tracks were in the mud and how he was using his pole. Then I saw the wrapper and decided I'd pull a fast one...almost got away with it too had the dropped wrapper been single event rather than a habit or hole in the guy's pocket. I could have tracked him to the moon and back as long as the big red held out. Like hansel and gretel with bread crumbs.