PDA

View Full Version : Good hikes

PecosBackpacker
10-03-2004, 15:14
Hello
I am a new member and would like to know a few things;
1) I would like to try to hike some of the AT for a few days this summer. I have been to most of the states it runs through so I would like to hike in some of the New England states. Can someone tell me which are some good 3-4 day treks?
2) I have done only a few miles of the AT in my life (from Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey - Sunfish pond. a whole 12 miles R/T). I have done a little bit of research on it though, but I am just now hearing of "shelters." Are these lean-to's or something like cabins for hikers to spend the night.

I am sorry if these questions sound a bit childish and dumb but I have little AT experience. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PecosBackpacker
10-03-2004, 15:36
It would probably help to mention that I have hiked in the Indian Peaks Wilderness of Colorado and the Pecos Wilderness of New Mexico so I can handle some pretty rough hiking.

Lone Wolf
10-03-2004, 15:48
Most shelters are 3 sided lean-to's, some with overhangs and/or lofts.

Peaks
10-03-2004, 15:57
If you are interested in multiple day hikes along the AT, why not buy Victoria and Frank Logue's book "best overnight hikes on the AT?"

The Eleven
10-04-2004, 12:17
Welcome Aboard! If you really want something challenging, I would recommend the Mahoosac Notch/Arm in New Hampshire. It runs from Grafton Notch State Park area in Maine (just over the border) to Rte 2 in New Hampshire. Pick up the AT guide book/maps for New Hampshire for details! You may want to break it up. Very rugged but rewarding views and wildlife.....remote! Happy Trails! Steve (Little Bear 2) in CT

kentucky
10-04-2004, 12:23
I would say some of mass for 3 or 4 days pretty country!kentucky

chris
10-04-2004, 13:39
CT north of Salisbury and into southern MA is good stuff in lower New England. Bear, Race, and Everett mountains are all fairly easy and provide good rewards once you get up there. The Lehigh Gap area in eastern PA is also quite good, although perhaps this is a matter of perspective.