PDA

View Full Version : Pack for weekend to 4 days

snowman1987
03-09-2010, 22:57
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good pack I could use for weekend to 4 day long hikes?

Kerosene
03-09-2010, 23:14
The same pack you'd consider using for a thru-hike, which is basically a series of 3-5 day hikes strung out over 6 months.

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 00:53
Depends on what you want to spend.
The Mystery Ranch Trance XXX is a top quality pack.
4200 C.I. http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.13869/.f?sc=11&category=19
A little heavy by Ultralight standards and about 100 bucks more than comparable packs. But you will probably still be using this when others are buying a replacement for their lesser pack.

JAK
03-10-2010, 08:51
It struck me also as being virtually the same as a thru-hiking pack. Then again, it could be considerably smaller, or considerably larger, depending on the type of trip and time of year. For 2 days in summer I've used a pack as small as my 10oz 1800ci patagonia, but that might be a stretch for 4 days. My Jam2 is only 10oz heavier and is big enough at 3100ci to carry all my daughters stuff as well as mine, in summer, and big enough for me alone in winter, up to 4 days.

Unless you want to do heavy packing, which is a good option for 4 days, a Jam2 would be a good pack. It is more versatile than many full packs in that it is also very handy for day hikes where you end up being the depository for kids clothing when your daughter and her friends start peeling off the extra layers there mom's have them wear. It can be the full 3100ci, but it also rolls down and clips down to something less conspicuous for urban park hiking. lol

JAK
03-10-2010, 08:56
The Jam2 might have gotten heavier since I got mine. I also removed the back pad as I usually have contents that serve the purpose for the weight being carried. I can always stuff something back in I guess. Anyhow, mine is a large but only weighs 20oz empty, unless my scales are off. I should say it is very comfortable for me up to 20 pounds. For 30 pounds, I might have to be a stubborn bastard to argue that it is as comfortable as any other. Let's just say I try and keep it under 25 pounds. ;)

snowman1987
03-10-2010, 17:50
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it!

Wags
03-13-2010, 01:06
http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/ExosSeriesVentilated

http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp

would be the two top choices for me.

JRiker
03-16-2010, 13:35
+1 on the ula packs. i have the conduit (3200 ci) and i love it as my pack. plenty of room for winter time if you are careful about gear selection, and great for summer if you're still carrying too much.

goedde2
03-31-2010, 10:03
I like the Gregory Z 65. It has a zipper feature that opens your pack from the back, and another nice feature that has a mesh arch that keeps the pack away from your back so you can stay cooler, with a pad at the bottom that rests in the small of your back. It only weighs a little over 3 pounds so that helps also.