PDA

View Full Version : Where to park?

GooseEgg
03-09-2010, 23:38
I sort of feel like a noob for asking this, but anyways, I'm from north Texas and am thinking about hiking a section of the AT starting in GA. My question is where will I park my truck when i get to the starting point, and how will i get back to it when I'm finished? Will my truck be safe for the 2 weeks or so that I'll be gone? Thanks

Ox97GaMe
03-10-2010, 00:05
you can park at Amicalola State Park. I think it is a $5 charge (park entrance fee). Then hike the approach trail, which starts about 100 yards from the parking lot.

2 weeks hiking should put you somewhere around Franklin NC. You may have to get a combination of shuttles from there. Some may shuttle all the way to Springer, but I think most do a handoff approach from each hostel's 'zone'.

Example.. you may need to have Ron Haven drive you down to where Gary from Blueberry Patch can pick you up and take you to where the Hike Inn or Neels Gap shuttles can then drop you off at your truck.

Or, you might get lucky enough to find someone else that is also doing a similar section or a trail angel the will drive you part/all the way.

GooseEgg
03-10-2010, 00:40
Hey thanks, that helps a lot. I really appreciate it

Trailweaver
03-10-2010, 02:13
Check with the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, GA. They shuttle all of the GA section. It's also a great place to stay before and after your hike. They can advise you about everything re: the AT in GA.

hikerhostel.com