PDA

View Full Version : I'm just not sure...

sidebackside
03-10-2010, 12:13
I'm planning on thru-hiking next year. I've gathered information from the ATC and other various places including here on WB about trip planning. I'm just not sure about how detailed my trip should be planned. I've met hikers on here who have their trip planned for everyday from Springer to Harpers Ferry. They know what shelters and what hostels they're gonna stay at. They know exactly how many miles they're gonna hike each day. Honestly, I'm just not there in my planning...and I'm just not sure I wanna be.
Somebody here on WB has a quote that says, "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." I think that's true to some point. My question to you is..."how detailed should I get when planning my hike?"

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 12:15
AS little as possible. I had years to plan and with all that time it was fairly elaborate. I burned it the first night out.

white_russian
03-10-2010, 12:18
Pack 3 days food to get to Neels Gap.

There, I did all your planning for you. That is literally all you need for the trail.

Now as far as working out paying bills and other personal things that is where you need to plan.

Rockhound
03-10-2010, 12:20
Appalachian Pages-"The abundance of data presented in this book can tempt a hiker into over planning. The authorswould prefer to think that the book provides all the information that one needs to act with spontaneity".

sidebackside
03-10-2010, 12:45
Appalachian Pages-"The abundance of data presented in this book can tempt a hiker into over planning. The authorswould prefer to think that the book provides all the information that one needs to act with spontaneity".

I like that!

Lyle
03-10-2010, 12:53
Plan you resupply possibilities for the first week or two, taking into consideration a reasonable number of miles per day. Plan your food for the first 4 days, or until Neel Gap. Then at each re-supply, plan your meals for the next section. Any further planning will be out the window anyways.

JustaTouron
03-10-2010, 12:58
There is something to be said for planning and then being willing to disregard the plan.

At some point you are gonna have to figure out where you are gonna camp, buy food etc. Going thru the process of planning each day will get you familiar with what lies ahead. Just be willing to change those plans as you go.

That is what my wife does before our family (non-hiking) vacations. She will plan out restaurants, places to see, things the kids would like to do, etc. We never stick with those plans, typically if she has 6 restaurants planned we will wind up eating in one of those over the course of the week, the rest will be other places that looks good. But having this default plan avoids us spending 45 mins going around in circles discussing, "so what do you want to do today?" But if the plan calls for going to the zoo and kids want to go to the beach, we go to the beach.

If you have a tentitive plan. Then you will already have a good idea of how much food you need to buy at given storess. Also if you plan out the entire trip and need to end on specific date, you will know if you need to pick up the pace or ought slow down, even if you are not camping at the locations on the plan.

So I would make the plan and then not follow it.

Just my two cents.

d.o.c
03-10-2010, 13:03
i prepared for a week it turnd into six months but its not that hard just evry town or so ressuply when needed there is no way to kno how many miles ur gonna realy do until ur there just go for it if u prepare to much i thnk u set ur self up to fail.

DrRichardCranium
03-10-2010, 14:35
Pack 3 days food to get to Neels Gap.

There, I did all your planning for you. That is literally all you need for the trail.

Now as far as working out paying bills and other personal things that is where you need to plan. my feelings exactly.

10-K
03-10-2010, 14:50
Everybody is different....

I always have a plan. But my plans are like the weather forecast. One or two days out - it's pretty good. Beyond that it's starts to get fuzzy but as best I can tell at any given moment I can tell you what my *plan* is for the next week or so.

The Flatulator
03-10-2010, 15:12
Figure on how many days you think it will take you to get to the next supply point and then add an extra days worth of food. I got sick for three days on my first thru-hike and was laid up and immobile. You just don't know. If you were southbound on the AT in Maine, all the river crossings are fords, so you can get laid up this way as well due to high water conditions. If you plan to do the whole AT, you will need to choose mail drops for map/money/food or other supplies, but other than that, the advise you have read above is all good and sound. Some people plan extensively and never make it more than a few days out. Others come to the Trail totally unprepared, regroup, and then make it all the way. I begin my third thru-hike in a months time. I have planned for 13 mail drops (mostly for supplies I can't get in whichever town), bought my plane ticket to Atlanta, have arranged a shuttle to Amicalola and from there, I will take each day as it comes (with Franklin being my first major re-supply). Just make sure you have the best of gear, because it will get a lifetimes worth of use in just five months. Other than that; just have fun and enjoy everyday.

elray
03-10-2010, 15:16
Section hiking requires day to day planning especially if I'm only allowed a week at a time, it's a real pain. I really look forward to the day when my only concern is when I reach the next supply opportunity. These guys know what they're talking about.

DapperD
03-10-2010, 20:59
I'm planning on thru-hiking next year. I've gathered information from the ATC and other various places including here on WB about trip planning. I'm just not sure about how detailed my trip should be planned. I've met hikers on here who have their trip planned for everyday from Springer to Harpers Ferry. They know what shelters and what hostels they're gonna stay at. They know exactly how many miles they're gonna hike each day. Honestly, I'm just not there in my planning...and I'm just not sure I wanna be.
Somebody here on WB has a quote that says, "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." I think that's true to some point. My question to you is..."how detailed should I get when planning my hike?"I don't believe you need to dissect every single aspect of your planned thru-hike at all. I think part of the adventure of a thru-hike, and yes it is an adventure of sorts, is to not really know exactly where on trail, or in what town, you will wind up each and every day. Your own physical limitations, the weather, and the trail itself will be the deciding factor as far as this is concerned, so there is no need to waste mental time and energy attempting to figure out your days ending points for each and every day. This will be basically fruitless,and will even possibly be setting the stage for unhappiness and even failure. What other's have said, however, as in planning to have your homefront affairs in order before leaving, having secured enough funds to afford yourself a successful and comfortable thru-hike, having researched and chosen decent, safe gear, travel and by which means to safely arrive at the starting off point of your hike, etc...this is where the majority of your planning efforts need to be focused. Once underway, enjoy yourself and allow yourself to end each days hike where you choose to for that particular day and reason.

WILLIAM HAYES
03-10-2010, 21:17
you can almost get obsessive with planning get your equipment fine tuned use the guide or AT Pages be flexible on resupply points and just go do it

singing wind
03-10-2010, 23:39
As previous posters have mentioned, plan to be flexible. I do carry a rough guide for the trail with mileage, etc. and road maps however, part of the beauty of walking the AT is that resupply points and resources are relatively easy to access and are seldom more that 5-7 days apart - usually less than that. I used to plan everything down to the last detail - that was in the days when the trail had significantly less traffic. Now I prefer to get the appropriate gear and food together for the section I'm walking, have a look at the weather (knowing it will change), and then go with the flow. If out for a long distance hike, say more than 2 weeks I might consider a bounce box but again, most essentials and resources can be found close to the trail.

It's your hike and only you know what works best for you.
Good luck with your hike!

Blissful
03-10-2010, 23:53
Day Two, throw out itinerary.
Just hike and enjoy it. The only time I did have to plan some is making rendezous to meet people on certain days

Tinker
03-10-2010, 23:55
I got through Georgia with a 35 lb. pack (winter gear and 6 days worth of food [which I didn't need, since we came off the trail on day 4 for a stopover at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega]) - and that was in a 5-1/2 lb. pack! If I'd intended to continue on into NC, I would've just hitched back into Hiawassee from Dick's Creek Gap, resupplied, and been on my merry way for another week or longer. Unfortunately, I had to come home to work, and, even less fortunately, Tom (Frosty) had already come off the trail due to a sore knee and some kind of viral infection (Webshots, "Tinker and Frosty's Georgia AT hike". I'll post a link.

Tinker
03-10-2010, 23:59
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/548798178sXxbQh

My Georgia hike in 2006. Start with what you'll need for 3-5 days, let go of any urge to control your future, and you're probably good for as long as you decide to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
The most important thing - make sure your footwear is well broken in (or, if trail runners, is familiar to your feet).

Bronk
03-11-2010, 02:47
Have equipment that will make you comfortable and you know how to use. Carry the data book. Leave town with enough food to get you to the next resupply point, with a day or two extra.

Get up every morning and hike. When you get tired, stop and rest. When you find a cool spot, pitch your tent. Stop and smell the roses.

That's really all the planning you need.

nitewalker
03-11-2010, 06:43
i plan my trips all the time but never end up following them to the tee. my hike thru ocala two weeks ago went from a five nighter to a one nighter due to my partner having blisters and too heavy a pack[ long funny story]. all my planing was useless...plan on the run as u walk but carry enough food for the 1st three days maybe 4 days....after that u will form your own itinary but not a fool proof plan..comfort will come over time....i would study the maps to get familiar with what lies ahead..

bigcranky
03-11-2010, 09:07
my hike thru ocala two weeks ago went from a five nighter to a one nighter due to my partner having blisters ..

Same thing happened on my hike in Ocala this week. Ended up being a four-day hike instead of six, and that's only b/c my partner slacked me the final day. What is it about hiking partners getting blisters on the Florida Trail?

Getting back to the original topic of pre-hike planning:

Planning is fun. It's instructional. Planning and thinking about the hike gives you something to do in the long winter months waiting to go to Springer. It helps to give your family a nice spreadsheet showing exactly where you'll be each day for the entire six months. You don't have to tell them it's all a lie.

What helps even more is getting out and doing some hiking. A couple of long weekend hikes, maybe even a week on the trail, will go a long way toward making your hike successful. They'll also help with the planning -- you'll know how much food and fuel (and toilet paper:rolleyes:) you need for the first section. Then show up in Georgia with 3-4 days of food, and one of the trail guides, and start walking north.

JAK
03-11-2010, 09:17
Somebody here on WB has a quote that says, "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." I think that's true to some point. My question to you is..."how detailed should I get when planning my hike?"
I think it is important to be prepared, but that has more to do with your skills and experience and clothing and gear, and your immediate plans for the day and night, than your long term itinerary.

Also, you SHOULD be prepared to fail, or at least to discover that you have, even though it was not your intention. Your mind plays tricks. You will think you are prepared, and are doing the right thing, when you are not. You have to maintain some degree of self-doubt and humility. You have to be prepared to stop and re-assess your situation, and admit that you have messed up, then plan a way forward. You need to have contingency skills, and gear and clothing that is versatile enough that can get you through situations you may not have planned for.

A good plan always has to be flexible.

nitewalker
03-11-2010, 09:22
Same thing happened on my hike in Ocala this week. Ended up being a four-day hike instead of six, and that's only b/c my partner slacked me the final day. What is it about hiking partners getting blisters on the Florida Trail?

too funny. flat ground of fla will lead to blisters if underestimated. its the repetitive step thing... maybe i should load my videos to my youtube account of the 26 hrs we were on the trail... he had a vinyl 8 inch blow up mattress[4x7] with a battery operated pump[4ds]. his tent was a 3 person tent from walmart. i ended up carrying his tent the whole 2nd day...i still had a great trip in all his misery..i tried:D

Smoky in TN
03-18-2010, 15:42
Do not plan every campsite, exact mileage every day, etc.
To me this destroys the freedom of the trail. I met a retired IBM exec. in Va. one year. He carried a printout that showed where he was camping that night, what day he had to be in a certain town, how many miles he had to walk that day. The poor guy never got to enjoy anything because he always had to be somewhere else. Plan only to have enough food from one supply point to the next and keep walking north. Embrace the freedom!

sidebackside
03-18-2010, 16:59
Do not plan every campsite, exact mileage every day, etc.
To me this destroys the freedom of the trail. I met a retired IBM exec. in Va. one year. He carried a printout that showed where he was camping that night, what day he had to be in a certain town, how many miles he had to walk that day. The poor guy never got to enjoy anything because he always had to be somewhere else. Plan only to have enough food from one supply point to the next and keep walking north. Embrace the freedom!

I definitely don't wanna be like that guy. The more I think about it...I'd like for my trip to go just like your last 2 lines.

Jester2000
03-18-2010, 17:38
[QUOTE=JustaTouron;985299]So I would make the plan and then not follow it.
/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I do.

Almost every hiker who plans extensively (to the point that they plan all of their mileages and camping spots) only thinks they know where they're going to be every night. It never actually happens that way.

The only people who ever occasionally manage to stick to their plans are people trying to set speed records.

Being prepared is not the same thing as planning obsessively. Plan if it helps you to be mentally prepared to get on the trail.

stranger
03-18-2010, 21:12
Planning is useful but it depends on the context. If a hiker who has little to no experience is planning out where they are hiking each day, than that's just silly really.

However if you are planning based on experience, to gauge things like food drops, gear changes, resupply points, that's another thing. Saying that, you don't need to figure out where you are staying every night, no harm in doing that but realise it will not happen!

Someone said take 3 days of food to get to Neels Gap, not too far off. I would say follow that advice and send a maildrop to Fontana Dam with 3-4 days food as well - there, you are covered for the first 450 miles!

Even that however, can be done on the trail, send food to Fontana from Hiawassee or Franklin, no need to "plan" this. You will have plenty of time on the trail to plan, all you pretty much have is time on the trail.

No worries...

sidebackside
03-19-2010, 09:40
That's good stuff guys...real good stuff. Naturally, I'm not one to plan every single step I make when hiking but I guess when you meet some of those people who know how many miles a day they're gonna be hiking, how many calories a day they're gonna be eating and so forth & so on, it makes you wonder, "Should I be planning more?" That being said, you all have really help me regain my confidence in knowing that one can have a successful hike without knowing every single move your gonna make before you take it.

mtnkngxt
03-19-2010, 12:06
All the planning you need.

If you have bills or responsibilities back home plan for them.

Make sure you have appropriate clothing, and adequate food. In other words don't go to springer with shorts and a tshirt and a 50 degree bag on march 1st with 2 liptons sides and a pack of poptarts and expect to be ok 4 days later.

Know how much money you have, and spend accordingly.

Hike your Own hike after this point.

I plan for my thruhike to be a by the seat of my pants event.
I will start with plenty of money, the correct gear and food that I think I need for myself, and nothing at home to tie me to a finish date.

I'll start at Springer and then go as far as I can or feel like going. If I make it to Katahdin in time to summit that will be great. If I end up only making it to VA, but have a lot of great stories and make some good friends even better.

Some things I will not be doing.
1. Pink Blazing. I met a guy in Grayson last year that was determined he was going to meet a wife on the trail during his section hike. Last I heard he was creeping dayhikers out in Shenandoah.

2. Beer-Blazing. While I'm sure hiking from bar to bar for some is a great way to complete the trail It just doesn't fit my hiking style.

3. Shelters. I understand the draw of not having to set up your shelter and being under a solid structure for a night, but mice infestations will keep me camping down trail.

4. Drum Circles.

Hike Your Own Hike. Be prepared for the weather, carry enough food, and remember to enjoy it.

sbhikes
03-19-2010, 19:29
I didn't hike the AT, but my experience hiking the PCT was that it ends up being a lot like regular life. In my regular life, I don't know that in 4 days I'm going to go shopping and buy 3 days of food. I just look in the cupboard and when there's nothing in there, I go shopping. The trail ended up being similar. I knew it would take 4 days to get to the next place so I threw in enough to eat for 4 days. If there was any leftover, I threw in less the next time. Lather rinse repeat.

prain4u
03-20-2010, 00:57
In the Army, we had some training regarding "personality types". They tested each of us and then divided us into groups based upon those personality types. They gave us different tasks to perform. One task was to plan a trip.

It was interesting to see the different ways that people plan a trip--and to learn that those approaches are a deeply embedded part of our personality (almost impossible to change). Some people simply are not comfortable unless they have every single detail planned out. (Then they follow their plan religiously). Other people freak out if there are ANY plans whatsoever.

It is fun to see that same classroom exercise repeated here on WhiteBlaze every time that someone talks about planning out their hike. Some hikers want to plan every last detail of their hike--and others would never dream of doing any advance planning.

David@whiteblaze
03-20-2010, 19:58
This is my plan:

Step 1: Make some money while living with parents and hold a graduation straight from 11th grade...

Step 2(divided into options...):
Option A: Walk 1 mile to train station, travel to Miami/ vicinity and catch shuttle to Key West.
Option B: If repaired, catch lift in my uncle's plane to Key West.
Option C: Have parents drive me to Key West.
Option D: Buy overly junky car, drive to Key West, destroy plate, registration, and abandon car.

Step 3: Use military I.D. to enter Military base/campground, camp. Next morning walk to the actual Southernmost point (on Base) and visit the official bouy just for kicks.

Step 4: Walk to Canada, keeping a sharp eye on my budget and overly documenting everything.

Step 5: Upon arrival, decide whether or not to turn around and hike back based on financial situation.

Please note step 4 as upon further inspection, the details where I don't plan anything except finances and food purchases... that is all I have to say about howIam planning...

Sharkey
03-20-2010, 20:42
Although I haven't thruhiked, I do believe if you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. But that doesn't mean you have to have a detailed scheduled of your daily milage and campsites. Just hike and enjoy yourself. Take enough water till the next resupply and enough food. Whether you are thru-hiking or sectioning, don't get overly concerned with keeping a schedule. Like others have mentioned, you'll be missing out on other interests if you stay too focused on a schedule. Best of luck and enjoy.

stranger
03-25-2010, 01:03
I agree that there is a level of preparation that needs to be done before heading to Springer Mountain, but I don't know if I agree that you actually need to plan the following:
- Average daily mileage
- Shelter or campsite destinations
- Towns you will visit and stay overnight
- Towns you will boomerang
- Towns you will avoid
- Etc....

What I think makes a hell of alotta sense is getting prepared for a long distance hike, things like:
- ensuring your have $2/mile minimum budget, pref more
- making sure you have adequate experience so you have an idea of what you are getting into
- making sure you are trail fit by the time you start the trail
- etc...

Many hikers start out doing 8 mile days with 35-50lb packs, and there is absolutely no reason to go down this road.

Any relatively fit and experienced hiker can easily average 15 miles per day right from Springer and keep their pack weight under 30lbs, including all food and water. This is not hard to do is you are prepared.

But planning out every night? Seems pointless, although in 2008 I was on plan all the way to Neels Gap, nearly 31 miles - think that's a record for me, usually I break the plan on day one!

Jester2000
03-25-2010, 01:37
Many hikers start out doing 8 mile days with 35-50lb packs, and there is absolutely no reason to go down this road.

Plenty of those people complete the AT, and have a great time doing so. Plenty of people with pack weights under 30 lbs. going 15 miles/day quit.

The road that isn't worth going down is the one that has, standing on the side of that road, people suggesting appropriate and inappropriate packweights and daily mileages.

stranger
03-25-2010, 04:34
Perhaps my post should have read...

"there is absolutely no reason to go down this road unless you want to", as that was the point I was trying to make.

jersey joe
03-25-2010, 09:27
The planning process can be a fun part of the trip.
Planning will increase the likelyhood of completing a thru hike, but...plenty of people that do a lot of planning don't complete their thru hike.

Jester2000
03-25-2010, 14:51
Perhaps my post should have read...

"there is absolutely no reason to go down this road unless you want to", as that was the point I was trying to make.

In that case, I agree entirely with your post.

goedde2
03-30-2010, 13:57
Your hike is supposed to be just that, yours, not someone elses. Hike your own hike as has been quoted over and over, but it's true. The idea is to enjoy the experience, meet new folks that share your love of the outdoors, and make it a journey, not a destination. Take some time to look around. You would be surprised how quickly you adapt to the basics, and learn to make do. Good preparation is essential, but not without a little wiggle room for improvising now and again. Listen to your own instincts, and you'll be a lot less stressed ab out the whole thing. Some of the so-called "experienced" hikers are all about themselves and like to let you know that, so be cautious of bad advice and trust no one.

sidebackside
03-30-2010, 14:19
Your hike is supposed to be just that, yours, not someone elses. Hike your own hike as has been quoted over and over, but it's true. The idea is to enjoy the experience, meet new folks that share your love of the outdoors, and make it a journey, not a destination. Take some time to look around. You would be surprised how quickly you adapt to the basics, and learn to make do. Good preparation is essential, but not without a little wiggle room for improvising now and again. Listen to your own instincts, and you'll be a lot less stressed ab out the whole thing. Some of the so-called "experienced" hikers are all about themselves and like to let you know that, so be cautious of bad advice and trust no one.

Good word Goedde.

Jester2000
03-31-2010, 15:01

Trust no one? Sooo . . . in order to take your advice he should, trusting no one, NOT take your advice?

I've got a headache. I think maybe you should have stopped at "listen to your own instincts," which might help one know whom to trust.