PDA

View Full Version : Majorly disappointed with alcohol stove

10-K
03-10-2010, 16:22
Last week when I did my hammocking trip on the FT another thing I did was carry my esbit gram cracker stove and caldera cone and a "popular alcohol stove" so I could compare them.

There was no wind but I still used a windscreen and the alcohol stove took 2 oz's of alcohol and around 9 minutes to boil 2 cups of water.

The esbit/caldera combo boiled 2 cups of water in just a little over 4 minutes.

Granted, the caldera cone setup is pretty efficient but as that was my first experience with alcohol it'll probably be my last. Too slow and uses too much fuel.

flemdawg1
03-10-2010, 16:24
Sorry it didn't work out for ya. But glad you figured it out before you were out in the woods for weeks with it being your only way to cook.

RayBan
03-10-2010, 16:29
The Caldera Cone/SP 1.4L fitted combo I had boiled 2 cups in a little over 3 minutes using denatured alcohol. I used about 20ml to start and had some left when I finished.

10-K
03-10-2010, 16:30
The Caldera Cone/SP 1.4L fitted combo I had boiled 2 cups in a little over 3 minutes using denatured alcohol. I used about 20ml to start and had some left when I finished.

We'll see... we'll see.. :)

bigmac_in
03-10-2010, 16:32
Did you ever wonder why "majorly" is more emphatic than "generally"?

Blissful
03-10-2010, 16:34
Pocket rocket rocks! :)

10-K
03-10-2010, 16:34

I could have said, "Alcohol stoves are gay." but I didn't.

Raul Perez
03-10-2010, 16:35
I can usually boil 2 cups of water using my minibull bongo in 3 season conditions in about 5-6 minutes using less than an ounce.

Winter it is about 8 minutes and using about an ounce maybe a bit more.

What alcohol stove did you use?

10-K
03-10-2010, 16:36
I can usually boil 2 cups of water using my minibull bongo in 3 season conditions in about 5-6 minutes using less than an ounce.

Winter it is about 8 minutes and using about an ounce maybe a bit more.

What alcohol stove did you use?

The Bud Light alum-in-em bottle stove. It was ~50* I would guess.

JustaTouron
03-10-2010, 16:48
I could have said, "Alcohol stoves are gay." but I didn't.

As in alcohol stoves are happy or as in alcohol stoves that like similarly built other alcohol stoves?

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 16:51
I don't know what you used, but imagine if your first car was a Toyota and ran you into a wall, would you infer all cars do that?

Just sayin.

10-K
03-10-2010, 16:54
I don't know what you used, but imagine if your first car was a Toyota and ran you into a wall, would you infer all cars do that?

Just sayin.

Say, that's a pretty good point Sarge...

SGT Rock
03-10-2010, 16:55
Esbit is good too, but expensive. There is supposed to be a stove that goes with a Caldera cone which I've watched do a great job. Find out what that one is and try it with your cone.

Colter
03-10-2010, 16:56
A good alcohol stove will be dramatically more efficient than that if used correctly.

Cuffs
03-10-2010, 16:57
Were you also using the alcohol stove that was meant to be used with the caldera or did you replace it with another type?

I find my caldera very efficient, but I am using the stove that came with it, not any other version of an alcohol stove. The Caldera is designed to work specifically (and efficiently) with its own stove.

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 17:06
Esbit is good too, but expensive. There is supposed to be a stove that goes with a Caldera cone which I've watched do a great job. Find out what that one is and try it with your cone.

My Caldera Cone System for Snow Peak Trek 700 came with a 12-10 Alcohol Stove which they say is tuned specifically for use with the Caldera Cone.
Purchased from Anti Gravity Gear.

Slo-go'en
03-10-2010, 17:12
Indeed, the Cladera cone and stove is an intergrated system and using a stove other than the one designed for the cone will not give satisfactury results, as you found out.

IceAge
03-10-2010, 17:12

I use "admirally" myself

JustaTouron
03-10-2010, 17:15

I have wondered that...but "privately".

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 17:18
Indeed, the Cladera cone and stove is an intergrated system and using a stove other than the one designed for the cone will not give satisfactury results, as you found out.

The Caldera Cone system is also tuned to a particular pot as well.
So the Cone, Stove and Pot work in conjunction with each other.

JAK
03-10-2010, 17:18
"privately" can can most emphatic

I think alcohol stoves have their challenges, but also their merits. I think some folks get into trouble trying to achieve both efficiency and performance at the same time. They are not entirely mutually exclusive, but your primary focus should be on one or the other.

IceAge
03-10-2010, 17:26
I'm not concerned about the amount of time, since there is plenty of time while hiking, but using 2oz of alcohol for every meal would be annoying.

Might just need practice, or a different stove.

10-K
03-10-2010, 17:38
I know the CC is tuned to a specific stove. I was using:

a) Caldera cone with gram cracker esbit stove as sold by AGG

b) Bud light aluminininininum bottle stove by itself with a windscreen in near perfect conditions I would say..... Around 50*, no wind, still had a windscreen.

Montana
03-10-2010, 17:56
It sounds, to me, that your alcohol stove may have been starved of oxygen. I had this same problem, that was fixed by taking a hole punch to the wind screen. I could, of course, be completely wrong here... If you can, post some pictures of the setup that you used, we might be able to better help diagnose the problem.

10-K
03-10-2010, 18:02
It sounds, to me, that your alcohol stove may have been starved of oxygen. I had this same problem, that was fixed by taking a hole punch to the wind screen. I could, of course, be completely wrong here... If you can, post some pictures of the setup that you used, we might be able to better help diagnose the problem.

Uh oh... you mean operator error?? :)

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:02
I just now at 4:55 lit my stove to cook my dinner ( a pasta Fazool bean soup) it takes about 15 min to prepair because the beans and veg. need to hydrate. I have 1 oz of fuel in my penny stove with a caldera style wind screen. I'll report back here when it's done.

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:06
at 5:01 I put on a simmer ring.. that allows the stove to continue to cook but not use so much fuel.

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:08
temp here is pretty warm. about 70 I would guess. I'm in the shade at a trail head on the Fl trail. posting from laptop with aircard. I'm 11 min. into the cook.

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 18:11
Titusville, I used to live there, in 1982, has it changed? :-)

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:13
I just added some ramon noodles ... I always wait to the end to add them because they only need three min to cook. The fazool is a complete dinner but the romon noodles add a little more bulk. I'm 15 min. into the cook..going to check and see if it's about done.

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:18
soup is done at 5:13,,, I just killed the flame with a snuffer I made for the purpose. I'll let it cool... I could have saved fuel if I had use my cosy. but I'm at a base camp of sorts and no need to be so frugal. I'm sitting in my car as I type this. There is some fuel left but probably not much..I get about 18-20 min cook time with 1 oz of fuel.

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:22
LOL..not much... I moved here in 1975 from Tn and NC. Although I've left here a couple of times since then I never sold the house. So I'm back here to stay now. Actually I'm in the Ocala National Forest at the moment. Titusville may never change. One of those places that just stands still. :sun

Roland
03-10-2010, 18:26
I was delivering a boat from Maine to Key Largo and spent a night in Titusville, at the municipal marina. I met Walter Cronkite that evening, in the slip next to mine, and was invited aboard for a drink.

That's my only recollection of Titusville.

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:31
So 10-K the point in all that was to show it can be efficient but it takes practice. And you have to use all the heat from the flame for the cookpot. no waste. like Montana posted ..show some pics of your setup.
There are lots of people here that can help you with cooking on a alcohol stove. I have cooked with it so much I am more comfortable than cooking on a kitchen stove.

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:34
I was delivering a boat from Maine to Key Largo and spent a night in Titusville, at the municipal marina. I met Walter Cronkite that evening, in the slip next to mine, and was invited aboard for a drink.

I lived on a boat in that Marina from 1975-1977. Back in those days we could see people from the news rooms in restaurants all the time.. My wife has several sigs from celebs from those years. Never saw Walter though.

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:35
Actually I lived at Westland marina which is next door to the municipal.

climber2377
03-10-2010, 18:42
depending on my stove, one boils in about 6 min and the other takes about 11. 2 cups of water and 1 oz. of fuel. i like them both. one is a modified penny stove and the other a crumb catcher. never tried the bud bottle one, but i thought about it. never had the scenario you are talking about. wonder what caused the challenge?

moytoy
03-10-2010, 18:57
wonder what caused the challenge?

No real challenge. I was sitting here reading about 10-K's dissatisfaction with the alcohol stove and it was time to fix my dinner. It's been a long time since I actually timed cooking on the penny stove so I just kinda challenged myself and If I can help 10-k .... well so be it. BTW the soup was gooooood!

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 19:18

That's awesome Roland. My time there was fairly un-eventful.
Though I did feel the ground shaking when they launched the Shuttle that year and watched it disappear into the sky, I don't think Cronkite was there at that time. :-)

mister krabs
03-10-2010, 19:48
10k, what kind of bud lite bottle stove? whitebox style? superstove style? pressurized? wick?

Mrs Baggins
03-10-2010, 20:03
Pocket rocket rocks! :)

I agree! I LOVE my Pocket Rocket! Turn it on, boil water for coffee and oatmeal, turn it off. Turn it back on to reheat my cup of coffee it it's getting cold too fast......so fast and easy. Just a flick of a bic...........

Mrs Baggins
03-10-2010, 20:06

We lived there 1984 - 1985 on Columbia Hwy in Windover Woods Apartments. Saw 3 shuttle launches (had passes to get close to the launches) and one landing. Remember the mall reeking of mold....I'm allergic to mold so that made shopping hard............

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2010, 20:09

Huh? $5 I must be missing something here.

http://www.rei.com/product/653344

10-K did you do any practice at home in the kitchen? and did you use a heat bottle of alcohol? sounds like you got the wrong stuff.

mister krabs
03-10-2010, 20:14

10-K did you do any practice at home in the kitchen? and did you use a heat bottle of alcohol? sounds like you got the wrong stuff.

fiddy cents a use can add up.

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 20:37
We lived there 1984 - 1985 on Columbia Hwy in Windover Woods Apartments. Saw 3 shuttle launches (had passes to get close to the launches) and one landing. Remember the mall reeking of mold....I'm allergic to mold so that made shopping hard............

Only one shuttle went up in the 8 months I lived there as I recall.
I believe the apartment where I lived was in Garden Street Apartments.
Don't remember the mall. I had no money to do much shopping.
Supporting me and my girl on 4.00 per hour plus car payment etc...
We used to go around the corner and collect oranges and grapefruits from a neighbor's front yard, He just let them rot on the ground so we would take the newly fallen ones. Many a night that's all we had to eat.
Worked in a chemical company called Pharmco Labs on S.R. 405 I think.
Ahh, Those were the days, Glad they are gone!!!!!
Did love Playlinda beach and the adjoining preserve.

Lostone
03-10-2010, 20:43
So he doesn't like like the alcohol stove?????? So what. He likes cooking on his esbit, fine.

Geez guys.

10K you just need to do your own thing. Seems you like the esbit, use it enjoy it and have fun.

Everyone here is an expert and their gear is better than yours.

heron2000
03-10-2010, 20:47
i bought a clickstand alcohol stove with the wind screen and pots that come as a kit -- have used it in 25-35 deg weather and am very happy with the results.

Chaco Taco
03-10-2010, 21:00
yea 9 minutes for 2 cups aint right. Do you keep the lid on the pot? I know its too obvious but 9 minutes???

WILLIAM HAYES
03-10-2010, 21:06
you must not be using a good stove or you have the set up wrong I use a caldera system and can boil two cups of water using a little over 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol -
sometimes a little more depending on the ambient temp
Hillbilly

moytoy
03-10-2010, 21:19
Only one shuttle went up in the 8 months I lived there as I recall.
I believe the apartment where I lived was in Garden Street Apartments.
Don't remember the mall. I had no money to do much shopping.
Supporting me and my girl on 4.00 per hour plus car payment etc...
We used to go around the corner and collect oranges and grapefruits from a neighbor's front yard, He just let them rot on the ground so we would take the newly fallen ones. Many a night that's all we had to eat.
Worked in a chemical company called Pharmco Labs on S.R. 405 I think.
Ahh, Those were the days, Glad they are gone!!!!!
Did love Playlinda beach and the adjoining preserve.

I had friends who lived in the Garden St Apt. back in the 70's. The bridge over the intercoastal at the end of Garden st. is being rebuilt as a high overpass now. I had to drive to Oakhill to get into the preserve last weekend to do the Black point 5 mile walk. I also like to do the walk from Playlinda to New Smyrna beach. It's all natural dunes. If you are ever down this way let me know. We can to an afternoon Hike. Sorry bout the off topic here... I regress.

General Fireball
03-10-2010, 21:47
I find stove discussions interesting, and am amazed at the sheer amount of time and brainpower that has gone into this worthwhile subject. I am, however, always slightly mystified at the emphasis on how fast a stove can boil a certain amount of water. I confess that at day's end in camp, hungry though I may be, gazing at the sunset for a few extra minutes while my water boils never seems like a hardship . . .

10-K
03-10-2010, 21:51

No practice - I had the esbit stove that mates with the caldera cone and I bought the alcohol stove from someone else.

I decided to take both setups with me on my hike to compare.

Seemed simple enough... I poured an oz of denatured alcohol into the stove, lit it and put my 700ml w/ 2 cups of water (~45*) ti pot on top of it to boil. The water didn't boil, so I put in the 2nd oz of alcohol. The water came to a rolling boil just as the 2nd oz was finishing up - 9 minutes later.

As I said, wind was calm but I used a foil windscreen that was 2" higher than the stove anyway.

Maybe it was the quality of the denatured alcohol but I don't know what I could have did differently that would have made it boil faster.

The caldera cone/esbit combo is darned near as quick as my primus canister stove.

Mountain Wildman
03-10-2010, 22:30
I had friends who lived in the Garden St Apt. back in the 70's. The bridge over the intercoastal at the end of Garden st. is being rebuilt as a high overpass now. I had to drive to Oakhill to get into the preserve last weekend to do the Black point 5 mile walk. I also like to do the walk from Playlinda to New Smyrna beach. It's all natural dunes. If you are ever down this way let me know. We can to an afternoon Hike. Sorry bout the off topic here... I regress.

Might take you up on that. Loved it there.
Except for the Palmetto bugs, I still consider them just huge roaches, some that can fly.

Wise Old Owl
03-10-2010, 22:31
Well you are welcome to try different things, but Starlyte alcohol stoves are very neat and are quick for 2 cups or less. I have even found them helpful as a warmer.

Reid
03-11-2010, 00:08
I can't help but repeat everyone else's comments about the CC and the alchy stove and pot having to be calibrated accuratly. It does make a difference how far the pot is above the stove. I am one of those that carries both wood and alchy stoves but I cook on multiple stoves at one time for multiple people. I don't carry wood stove for the weight benefit either, there's just something earthy about em like there's some story that can be told while your getting it going.

Mountain Wildman
03-11-2010, 00:35
I can't help but repeat everyone else's comments about the CC and the alchy stove and pot having to be calibrated accuratly. It does make a difference how far the pot is above the stove. I am one of those that carries both wood and alchy stoves but I cook on multiple stoves at one time for multiple people. I don't carry wood stove for the weight benefit either, there's just something earthy about em like there's some story that can be told while your getting it going.

I concur.
I also carry multiple stoves.

Tinker
03-11-2010, 00:37
I agree! I LOVE my Pocket Rocket! Turn it on, boil water for coffee and oatmeal, turn it off. Turn it back on to reheat my cup of coffee it it's getting cold too fast......so fast and easy. Just a flick of a bic...........

So.......so........American! :D:)
The hiker has the option to be utilitarian or "cool". :rolleyes:
Here's how I roll:
White gas in a Whisperlite: Winter.
Cannister stove: (not PocketRocket - better!) Spring and fall, especially with another hiker or 2.
Alcohol: (when I'm done playing with new designs and have to use it up) in the summer (though I have used it in spring, fall, and winter - hint: keep your fuel and "seed" water warm for breakfast by sleeping with it).
Esbit: Summer "Stoopitlite" trips (short duration - for masochists only).
They all have their place.

Mountain Wildman
03-11-2010, 01:22
MSR Dragonfly
Caldera Cone System
PackaFeather XL
Littlbug Junior
I like variety, Bring them all and use which ever
one strikes my fancy!! :-)

10-K
03-11-2010, 05:19

Just an FYI, the the pot actually sits on top of the alcohol stove I was using - there is no way to get the height wrong.

Roland
03-11-2010, 05:26
Just an FYI, the the pot actually sits on top of the alcohol stove I was using - there is no way to get the height wrong.

Give it another try, this time allowing more combustion air.

You can do this by removing the windscreen on a windless day, or by propping it up a 1/2" with a pebble or stick.

Did you say what kind of alcohol you used?

moytoy
03-11-2010, 07:57

Someone chided us earlier for continuieng to post help for your alcohol woes. I will assume since you posted the above comment that you have not totally given up on the alcohol. The alcohol will do the job if you have the time to mess with it. If not, another stove might be your best bet for now. I see you are leaving soon for your finish of the AT. Go for the mountain and Good Luck. I hope to accomplish what you have some day.
Now for something that I have conquered, the alky stove. The stove you are using must fit the pot you are using to be efficient. I personally don't like the stoves where the pot sits directly on the stove. Anything that coveres the botton heating area of the pot cuts down on efficiency. Another thing to think about is where the pot is in relation to the flame. The part of a flame that has the most heating potential is near the top of the flame, not at its base. I'm talking here about a pressurized stove not a wick stove. A wick stove has slightly different flame caracteristics.
A wick stove is easy to light but does not mix the air and fuel as efficiently at the pressurized stove. Anyway that gives you some fuel to think about on your hike to Katahdin.

StarLyte
03-11-2010, 08:15
I concur.
I also carry multiple stoves.

I carry the StarLyte and I carry an esbit.

I even take them to hiker events in a neat carrier :D

nitewalker
03-11-2010, 08:29
mtn dew lite super stove + heineken pot + windscreen + fuel = priceless

i still love my pocket rocket stove just as much especially if im looking for quicker boils, mainly colder temps...

Darwin again
03-11-2010, 10:03
I still used it for a coupla hundred miles, then switched to an esbit system. I found the minuses to be that the liquid fuel is spillable and doesn't work so well in the cold. To each his own.
I was only lieutenantly disappointed with my alcohol stove.

leaftye
03-11-2010, 12:27
I assume you have a side burner stove. These are less efficient with skinny pots.

Priming the stove is one area you can work with to save a significant amount of fuel. I'm about to start experimenting with Jason Klass's method of wrapping a kevlar wick around the stove. This may knock off up to 30 seconds from your total time.

Try different fuels. Isopropyl alcohol has the most amount of energy, but unfortunately it creates a lot of soot and a big flame that can be rather inefficient if it shoots up the sides of your pot. The efficiency can be improved somewhat if you dilute it with water, but then it gets harder to light and you're carrying a less potent fuel. You can find isopropyl alcohol in rubbing alcohol and Iso-HEET. Ethanol isn't bad, but it's a little hard to find pure-ish forms of ethanol unless your state allows the sale of the good Everclear. You can also get a methanol/ethanol mix if you buy regular HEET, but methanol has much less energy and is "unhealthy", although I think it may be easier to light in cold temperatures....testing to follow. I forget what mix of alcohol is in denatured alcohol, but I believe it is mostly ethanol denatured with bad stuff like methanol/ketones/benzene.

Monkeyboy
03-11-2010, 17:23
I use the Super Cat. Obtain boil of two cups of water in four minutes.

Can get the alcohol anywhere, where as esbit you may or may not be able to find.

Love my super cat.........

Pony
03-11-2010, 17:31
I have a total of about $1.50 and 2 ounces wrapped up in my stove. Sure it's not the most efficient stove in the world, and it kind of looks like something a hobo would heat up a can of franks and beans on, but it gets the job done.

But, what really chaps my hide, is when I've got something important to do, but I'm late because it took 8 minutes to boil my water.

KnittingMelissa
03-11-2010, 20:40
I still used it for a coupla hundred miles, then switched to an esbit system. I found the minuses to be that the liquid fuel is spillable and doesn't work so well in the cold. To each his own.
I was only lieutenantly disappointed with my alcohol stove.

Hahaha, I giggled at that.

I've had some great success with my stove in the cold (WY winter cold, no wind screen), though I need to build a second one. The first is a bit bruised and battered (it should be of note here: Starbucks Frappachino cans have very thin skins and, while they will work, they dent very easily. I suggest thicker can). I'm thinking Sunkist or Pepsi for my second one, do a few test runs during the snow storm this weekend and then see how it performs. (Side burner model with air intake on the top, actually seems to work pretty well.)

STICK
03-12-2010, 00:13
I have a few Pepsi can stoves that I made and a Supercat. I made some of the Bud Light bottle stoves, and also ordered the White Box Solo. It is incredibly fun to do, and rewarding whenever they work out. I was surprised by the very first Pepsi can stove I made. It will bring 2 cups of water to a boil in 8 1/2 to 9 minutes and will burn for ~ 13 minutes.
I also have an Optimus Crux stove. It is very nice, but I sent it back because the burner wasn't to stable. After reading others reviews of the stove I concluded that mine was not right. I contacted Optimus and they tld me to send it in and they would replace it. Simple as that, no questions. So I sent it last week and awaiting the new ones arrival!
I never thought a kitchen could be so much fun!

chris948
03-12-2010, 08:50
Were you high up? I know my pepsi stoves performed way differently at 6k feet.

10-K
03-12-2010, 09:19
Were you high up? I know my pepsi stoves performed way differently at 6k feet.

No, I was on the Foothills Trail in SC - between 1000-2500' for sure.

Tabasco
03-12-2010, 09:34
.....you will all be eligible for corporal punishment.

10-K
03-12-2010, 09:50
.....you will all be eligible for corporal punishment.

I tried to keep it private...

Tabasco
03-12-2010, 10:00
I tried to keep it private...

I suppose there could be a Colonel of truth to that.

Darwin again
03-12-2010, 10:19
I hate to be a major pain, but isn't this thread generally about alcohol stoves?

Cuffs
03-12-2010, 10:22
The caldera cone itself was not really designed to be a windscreen on its own. Its made to support a specific pot at a specific height over the flame. using the stove you did, I think you have almost smothered the flame by using the cone as a wind screen. Try using the pot made for your particular cone with the stove that it goes with, and I think youll have better success.

03-14-2010, 09:21
To me, a stove defines one personnality quickly.
alcohol stove, laid back, calm, everything in due time.
Pocket rocket type, instant gratification type, in a hurry for everything. gotta have it now type.
Gas type, not a risk taker, plans everything, steady, why change someting that works.
So I can walk up to a table in front of a shelter and just look at how you are cooking and know a little about the people there.
ME, I never hike alone always with 3-4. We carry 2 stoves, alcohol and pocket rocket. I never boil water. I heat meals to almost to hot to eat. Cannister is for coffee, hot choc. rice meals. I have never burned a meal with alcohol, cannot say that about gas or cannister stove. If set up proper 1 oz of alcohol should heat a 3/4 liter noodle meal in less that 10 min.(feed 4 hikers) You can light it and walk away and go get water or set up tent or your bag in a shelter. In about 10 min you open up the meal and steam is comming off it, ready to eat, do not need to wait for it to cool down. A rice type meal will require 2 heatings or 2 oz of alcohol. UNLess you hydrated it for about an hour prior to heating. I have never understood the requirement to boil water? No one can eat anything that hot. If you have a need for speed. Do not cook with alcohol, it is that simple. What ever suits you is OK, it really is fine, mine is not better than yours, It is just what I am comfortable with and enjoy.
I remember how many times I burned food in the thin cook pots, it does not clean out well, it adds foul taste to your next meal. One good lesson to know is that cannister stoves can be unstable, on a picnic table that moves every time someone sits down. Nothing like watching you dinner spill. Your stove is fine, what ever you choose, be happy with it.

10-K
03-14-2010, 18:25
The caldera cone itself was not really designed to be a windscreen on its own. Its made to support a specific pot at a specific height over the flame. using the stove you did, I think you have almost smothered the flame by using the cone as a wind screen. Try using the pot made for your particular cone with the stove that it goes with, and I think youll have better success.

I didn't use the cone as a windscreen for the alcohol stove - I used a different screen for the alcohol stove.

I used the cone only with the esbit stove.

zelph
09-30-2013, 09:48
Old thread but interesting. I came across it while googling for packafeather info. After reading through the thread I thought I'd share a message I got in the mail today:

I spent this afternoon comparing your Cobalt Soloist to the Batch Stove 2.0 (BS 2.0) and the White Box Stove (WBS). I tested each stove with 2 cups of water and 20 ml (2/3 oz) of denatured alcohol. I tested three different pots: GSI Soloist; GSI MicroDualist; and GSI Ketalist. What I found out is that your stove boiled two cups of water with 20 ml of alcohol in all three pots with flame out occurring a minute or so after the boil. The WBS and BS 2.0 boiled the two cups with 20 ml of alcohol for the Ketalist and MicroDualist with flame out happening less than 30 seconds after the boil. However, on the Soloist (smaller base pot) neither the WBS or the BS 2.0 reached a boil before flame out. They only made it to around 188 degrees Fahrenheit.

Speed to boil: the WBS was the fastest, BS 2.0 was close behind, and the Cobalt Soloist was quite a bit the slowest; however, had the most burn time after reaching a boil - approximately 60-80 seconds after boil. Still it typically had a boil in around 6 minutes which is very respectable.

My conclusion is that your stove is best all around. Works with 20 ml of fuel to boil two cups of water on all three pots. One thing I really like is that it blooms right away so I don't have to watch for the bloom and then put the pot on. I can put it on right away. I'm guessing that it has something to do with wick material you use between the body of the stove and stainless sleeve.

I'm looking forward to testing it in the field. Thanks again for building a great stove. I'm going to order another one as a back up in case you stop building them.

John

bangorme
09-30-2013, 10:39
What do people think of the Trangia alcohol stove? I used one for years and it's done well. However, now that I've changed to a smaller pot I'm suspecting that it's wasting fuel.