PDA

View Full Version : Snp 3/14

lunatic
03-10-2010, 17:48
I see the post below about snow in SNP from late Feb, but I'm wondering what it's like now. I'm considering hiking next week from waynesboro to front royal. Was going to wait but something has come up. Any info or suggestions? I don't mind cold weather but I don't want to deal with too much snow...that's already on the ground. I know, that's relative. Maybe I should go further south this early.
Thanks!!
L

Cookerhiker
03-10-2010, 17:57
I see the post below about snow in SNP from late Feb, but I'm wondering what it's like now. I'm considering hiking next week from waynesboro to front royal. Was going to wait but something has come up. Any info or suggestions? I don't mind cold weather but I don't want to deal with too much snow...that's already on the ground. I know, that's relative. Maybe I should go further south this early.
Thanks!!
L

I'm sure someone who lives near, or has recently been to, SNP can tell you what it's like now. But don't assume that "further south" has less snow. "Further south," the elevations are still high which I'd say is more of a determinant of snow levels than latitude. In fact, you may have less snow "further north" in MD and PA.

lunatic
03-10-2010, 18:07
Good point and thanks for the response. I was just going off reports I had heard from early starters this yr about conditions just south of SNP, but now that I look closer (you're so right) there is more snow south in high elevations.
Thanks!

Treefingers
03-10-2010, 18:32
im not far from SNP and most of our snow is melted excluding the piles ploughs made. i would anticipate snow still on the south slopes but probably a good deal of trail is melted. the rest most likely is tramped down and not deep. im sure it is slushy in many places on the trail too. the central portion of the park has been open for over a month now. definitely possible to traverse the AT through the park. theres a pic somewhere in the forums of a snowdrift that was as tall as a blaze on a tree.

good luck and happy trails
treefingers

Lemni Skate
03-11-2010, 08:53
I hiked on the Eastern side of the Central Section of the park Saturday. Trails still had some snow on them inplaces, but not consistently until about 1700 feet. Places in the shadows, obviously still had some. Amazingly, the trail wasn't all that muddy. Since then we've had temps in the 60's three days in a row. I'd anticipate decent hiking.

Blissful
03-11-2010, 16:19
Swift Run Gap area north had a ton of snow on Sat. when I hiked north to South River. I'm sure it is less now but likely still slushy snow around. It has a high water content and is going to take time to melt.

Pictures http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55058&id=1478324508&l=ad0bf6a04f

Going south won't help.

lunatic
03-11-2010, 17:23
Thanks for the information everybody!!

Lemni Skate
03-15-2010, 08:05
Last week was warm and three days of warm rain ought to have really decimated the snow. Now, what will we do about the mud?