PDA

View Full Version : Alleghany Trail

Red River Falls
03-10-2010, 21:06
Tried to hike up to Hanging Rock overlook. With two little kids. The result was we could not make the 0.8. Due to drifts. It was kind of fun. It was mild (Sunday afternoon), but the drifts ranged from 2 to 5 feet. I am not a light person, but I was mostly able to walk on top. A few people had been through, one group that day. In the end, we got a stretch of the trail on the north side of the ridgeline, and it was too much and too late in the day to get to the hut.

A few questions about the Alleghany Trail. What is its length? Where does it begin/terminate? It was well-marked on the little bit we explored. Seems like it would be a great and very quiet (i.e. almost no other foot traffic) especially in the spring. Would you recommend it? Why or why not?

Red River Falls
03-10-2010, 21:08
I'm sure a majority of visitors to this forum have never heard of this trail. This trail splits off the AT a bit north of Pearisburg and heads north and perhaps (?) west.

Cookerhiker
03-10-2010, 21:17
That's quite a coincidence - I was researching the Allegheny Trail this afternoon and your posts just popped up. There is an existing thread with a lot of info:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19996

You and other WBers can learn alot from this thread.

Hikerhead
03-10-2010, 22:06
One of my favorite hikes is from the Parking lot on top of the mtn to Pearisburg, about 35 miles or so of ridge walking. The ALT is about 300 miles long.

Red River Falls
03-11-2010, 22:08
Thanks for the response and the link. Will read through it all and maybe do a little research on my own to see if any updated information is readily available.