PDA

View Full Version : Mike Hanson- Blind Hiker Update

Fibro
03-11-2010, 13:41
My tr name is Fibro and I live close to Neels Gap, in Ga. 1st let me say if this posting is a duplicate, please forgive me as I wrote one earlier and I can't find it on the forum. I have been reading the forum for a long time, but have never posted.
I read about Mike a couple of months ago and e-mailed him and told him I would help him in any way possible while he hikes through Ga. I picked him up @ the Atlanta Airport last Wed nite and we advised him to wait until Sat to start Springer due to ice/snow. He did start Sat am and the ice/snow was still very bad ,but he was dying to start. I could not make it to Springer in my vehicle as F.S. 42 was covered in ice/snow. Josh @ Hikers Hostel (great guy) finally made it with Mike in his vehicle.
Mike only fell one time coming down Springer on the ice and has not fallen since! And yes, he is totally blind and has been from birth! He can tell if the the sun is shinning and that's it. He is leading the way down the trail just using his poles and it's incredible! I parked @ Hightower Gap Monday am and hiked south to meet up with he and Gary. I then hiked north with them and we spent the night around Hawk Mtn shelter. I picked them up around 3:30pm yesterday (wed) @ Woody Gap and carried them to Hiker's Hostel where they spent the night. They hit the trail again today around 8:30 in the pouring rain for the second day. They plan to make it to Wood's Hole shelter tonight and spend the night @ the Hostel @ Mtn Crossings tomorrow night @ Woody Gap.
I had my gps while hiking with them and he can easily average 1.5 mph. Most people that have met him on the trail DO NOT know he is blind as he just 'lowers his head and walks with his poles. It's the most amazing thing I have ever seen! I have a good friend that is blind so I know what they can do, but this guy has blown me away!
Gary the camera guy is having a little trouble with his ankles, but I think he will be ok.
Just wanted to give you guys an update. We all need to get behind this guy!!
If he can stay healthy I really believe he can make it. Before hiking with him I must say I had all the doubts all you guys have, but no longer.

Happy trails,
Fibro

Blissful
03-11-2010, 13:46
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted.

JAK
03-11-2010, 14:00
Amazing. I wonder if he will do any hiking at night, perhaps not so much because of the camera guy. There was an auto mechanic in town here that was totally blind, had no trouble taking stuff apart and fixing them and putting them back together. Used to work in his garage at night in the dark, but I think it freaked the neighbours out so he got into the habit of putting the light on to let them know he was working.

I hope this fellow rights a book. I look forward to the documentary.

Thanks for the update Fibro. Inspiring.

white_russian
03-11-2010, 14:06
Amazing. I wonder if he will do any hiking at night, perhaps not so much because of the camera guy. There was an auto mechanic in town here that was totally blind, had no trouble taking stuff apart and fixing them and putting them back together. Used to work in his garage at night in the dark, but I think it freaked the neighbours out so he got into the habit of putting the light on to let them know he was working.

I hope this fellow rights a book. I look forward to the documentary.

Thanks for the update Fibro. Inspiring.

Heck half the time I can't see what I am doing working on my car because they put something in the way. Seems like it is a job that would work out well for a blind person.

JAK
03-11-2010, 14:19
I learned to field strip my rifle blindfolded, not that I was any good at it. I hike with just a candle lantern for camp. I've gotten stuck a few times on the trail after sunset, just this past weekend actually. I was surprised how well white blazes can still show up. The footing was pretty sketchy. Pales in comparison to what this fellow is doing. I feel both greatful for my sight, and inspired to do more with it, but at the same time somewhat envious of this fellow for experiencing something I can't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_xesrL8&feature=related

Fibro
03-11-2010, 14:43
They made Gooch Shelter the other night after dark and Mike said what the heck not a problem for me I stay in the dark.
One thing I meant to add to my post was:
Mike is an attorney and has 2 graduate degrees. He passed the Mn Bar on his first attempt. but he is UNEMPLOYED! He has never found a firm that will hire him as they don't think he can do anything due to his blindness! He may not like me telling this , but he has been working in telemarketing!! THAT is what this hike is about! He wants to show just what the blind can accomplish!
People have mentioned why does he need funding. Well, this is why, plus it's going to cost a lot to do the documentary that they will use to prove the point!
Sure, a few others who are blind have done the trail, but this will be the first time it has been documented on film where the multitudes can see it.
My doubts were very strong and I purposely waited until he got this far to post this on the forum. I wanted to see for myself just what he could do and what his chances are before wasting everybody's time with my posting.
He's the real deal!!!!
web site:
hansonatcampaign.com

Fibro

Cabin Fever
03-11-2010, 15:38
Mike is an attorney and has 2 graduate degrees. He passed the Mn Bar on his first attempt. but he is UNEMPLOYED! He has never found a firm that will hire him as they don't think he can do anything due to his blindness!

Talk about your all time irony. Couldn't he just sue them for discrimination? He is an attorney.

JAK
03-11-2010, 16:07
I tracked down this you tube presentation...
http://www.youtube.com/user/HansonATCamp

Seems like a really cool guy.
Don't believe everything he says though. He is a lawyer. ;)

JustaTouron
03-11-2010, 16:13
Talk about your all time irony. Couldn't he just sue them for discrimination? He is an attorney.

Unless the firm was so stupid to say, "we ain't hiring you cause you are blind" it would be a hard case to prove. Lots of people apply for a job and don't get hired because the other guy was "a better match." Any firm that couldn't beat that rap would be pretty stupid.

Sueing for wrongful dismisal is a lot easier than suing for not being hired.

Unless you can show an obvious pattern. Such as the place has 100 employees, half of the applicants have been black, but the firm is still all white. One blind not getting hired is not a pattern.

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2010, 22:16
JAK, I don't think he is completely without vision. It might be comparatively harder for him to hike at night than someone with perfect vision, I dunno. Interesting to consider. I have been checking his journal but he hasn't updated it since the 1st.

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2010, 22:17
Oh, never mind, I see Fibro says he is pretty much completely without vision. I can tell if the sun is up with my eyes closed.

Tin Man
03-11-2010, 23:20
I, for one, am very happy he could get the funding to start his hike. He had some trouble in prior years putting it all together, but he got in with the right people to help him approach his sponsors and now he's actually doing it. Good for him. :cool:

Here are a couple of his websites with additional links to read more...

http://blindhiker.com/
http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/

Chaco Taco
03-11-2010, 23:49
I, for one, am very happy he could get the funding to start his hike. He had some trouble in prior years putting it all together, but he got in with the right people to help him approach his sponsors and now he's actually doing it. Good for him. :cool:

Thanks for posting these. Going to try and catch him when he comes through our neck of tha woods

ChinMusic
03-12-2010, 01:51
The descent off of Blood is sched for tomorrow. If he can manage that unassisted (except GPS) he will have passed a MAJOR test.

Tin Man
03-12-2010, 08:08
The descent off of Blood is sched for tomorrow. If he can manage that unassisted (except GPS) he will have passed a MAJOR test.

is there snow up there?

Chaco Taco
03-12-2010, 08:42

Agreed. hope he does well

Fibro
03-12-2010, 21:16
Just wanted to let everybody know Mike made it down Blood Mtn and arrived @ Mountain Crossings Store around 3pm today in very heavy rainfall to the cheers of many.It was slow for him, but he did not fall a single time although it took him around 4 hrs. He said it's still some ice on one side of Blood. I think they are going to do a zero day tomorrow (Sat.)
Fibro

JustaTouron
03-12-2010, 21:50
If he has absolutely zero vision, in the summer it might make sense for him to hike at night (when it is cool) and sleep during the day.

Lilred
03-12-2010, 23:47
If he has absolutely zero vision, in the summer it might make sense for him to hike at night (when it is cool) and sleep during the day.

True, but it would make for a very odd documentary.....

Feral Bill
03-13-2010, 14:04
True, but it would make for a very odd documentary.....
Surely there is video equipment mated to night vision devices. Might be a bit green , though.

thelowend
03-13-2010, 14:11
1.5 mph is impressive for a blind dude on foot.. i had my doubts (not quite as vocal as others but they were certainly there) but this at least makes me think he is a contender.. one fall on snowy and icey conditions really isn't bad.. especially at 1.5 mph.. and he lacks one of senses we take for granted every day.

Daydream Believer
03-13-2010, 21:44
Wow...very impressive! I have hiked that section myself and I know it's challenging! I could not imagine doing it at night much less totally blind! My best wishes and Godspeed to him as he starts his hike. I wish I could be out there too.

Symbol
03-13-2010, 21:59
Wow is right.... Go Mike!!!

dilligas
03-14-2010, 00:38
[QUOTE=Fibro;986132]
Mike is an attorney and has 2 graduate degrees. He passed the Mn Bar on his first attempt. but he is UNEMPLOYED! He has never found a firm that will hire him as they don't think he can do anything due to his blindness!

But yet we have politicians who tried several times to pass the bar, or never passed the bar,or caught cheating on the bar exam, or have been disbarred.

Good luck and God speed to ya Mike

Mrs Baggins
03-14-2010, 08:05
I absolutely love this story and want so much for him to make it. I have far too many friends and relatives who always fall back on some ailment or pain as an excuse for not even going out for a long walk. "Oh you know, my leg's are kinda achy" "Well, I get sinus problems" or even just "Oh my no, I'm too old for that" (and they're my age or younger).......you get it. So when I see a person like this going for it I make sure to email them all the story and say how much I admire the effort!

Egads
03-14-2010, 09:02
This thread is an inspiration (especially compared to the "Rescued near Springer" thread). More power to you Mike. Good luck in your endeavor.:D

Feral Bill
03-14-2010, 12:32
I'm still sceptical about Mike's chances, but less so that earlier. I am most certainly rooting for him. The problem is, if he makes it, that leaves about zero excuses (short of major injury) for anyone else if they drop out.

JustaTouron
03-14-2010, 13:09
I'm still sceptical about Mike's chances, but less so that earlier. I am most certainly rooting for him. The problem is, if he makes it, that leaves about zero excuses (short of major injury) for anyone else if they drop out.

HYOH. As several have pointed out in the reasons to drop out thread, "not having fun" is a perfectly valid reason to abandon a thru hike.

Darwin again
03-16-2010, 17:21

An excuse is only an excuse if it works. The Appalachian Trail isn't grade school; nobody needs to make excuses or demand excuses for anything from -- or for -- anyone.

There are a million reasons for leaving the trail, be they physical, emotional, financial, personal, familial, a busted knee, equipment theft, loneliness, raccoon attack or just plain boredom and sick and tiredness of walking. None of these reasons is an attempt to lessen the blame or to seek to justify getting off trail, which is what an excuse would be. Sometimes a series of minor injuries can erode the will.

In any case, nobody signs a contract that says they must perform to any standard, therefore nobody has anything to be ashamed about or to make excuses for if they decide to get off the Trail. Hiking the AT is not a competition and it's not basic training. Other rules apply if any apply at all, which they mostly do not.
Everyone's experience is different out there according to what they bring to the table. After a point, long-distance hiking is mental more than it's physical; you have to keep your head in the game...

Tagless
03-17-2010, 01:37
Originally Posted by Darwin again...

An excuse is only an excuse if it works. The Appalachian Trail isn't grade school; nobody needs to make excuses or demand excuses for anything from -- or for -- anyone.

There are a million reasons for leaving the trail, be they physical, emotional, financial, personal, familial, a busted knee, equipment theft, loneliness, raccoon attack or just plain boredom and sick and tiredness of walking. None of these reasons is an attempt to lessen the blame or to seek to justify getting off trail, which is what an excuse would be. Sometimes a series of minor injuries can erode the will.

In any case, nobody signs a contract that says they must perform to any standard, therefore nobody has anything to be ashamed about or to make excuses for if they decide to get off the Trail. Hiking the AT is not a competition and it's not basic training. Other rules apply if any apply at all, which they mostly do not.
Everyone's experience is different out there according to what they bring to the table. After a point, long-distance hiking is mental more than it's physical; you have to keep your head in the game...

Well said!!!

Scooby99
03-19-2010, 03:31
Any news from the trail on Mike? FB page has not been updated since the 13th when they were planning on leaving Neels Gap, I would think they should be nearing Hiawassee soon. Maybe Ron has heard something?

Pak-Man
03-19-2010, 08:30
My wife and I ran into mike and the videographer on the north side of tray mountain.

They had just gone through six or seven blowdowns, a few pretty hairy, and they seemed in good spirits..

We chatted a bit and wished them luch and continued SOBO...

after climbing Tray, Rocky, and Blue mountains we just shook our heads and wondered how he had made it up and down..

Best of luck to both of them...

"dirt"

The Solemates
03-19-2010, 12:57
where does he plan on being around trail days?

Daydream Believer
03-30-2010, 09:22
Are there any updates on Mike and his progress? I can't help but think of him.

Darwin again
03-31-2010, 07:56
He's made it to the NOC.
Will be skipping the Smokies.

Daydream Believer
03-31-2010, 09:32
Thanks for that blog page! I'm glad to hear he's doing well. I can't blame him for bypassing the Smokies if there's still a lot of snow up there.

I found a link to his facebook page for those who get on there. There are pics also of him up on Springer and various parts of his hike so far.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Hanson-Appalachian-Trail-Campaign/189755727503?ref=search&sid=1101924775.3222094069..1

Colter
04-16-2010, 11:29
There's been no update on his blog (http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/) since March 27. Anyone run into him along the trail or heard any news?

Rain Man
04-16-2010, 12:15
There's been no update on his blog (http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/) since March 27.

I have to admit, it really irks me when any hiker, sighted or blind, leads readers down the primrose path, then their journal just ... stops. That's not right. If they want readers, that's cool, but then they become OBLIGATED to their readers to post SOMETHING if their hike ends. THEY made it a two-way street. Fair's fair.

Rain Man

Slo-go'en
04-16-2010, 14:30
Yea, since he was able to arrange a videographer to tag along, you'd think he could have arranged someone to keep his blog updated on a reasonably regular basies. Especially since he is asking for donations. I'm sure those who have already donated would like to know his progress and condition, along with those of us who are just curious.

But has he given up and quit or just hasn't been able to do any updates? Can't tell with no information. But it is interesting that those who make some noise about trying some unusual feat you often don't ever hear from again.

ChinMusic
04-16-2010, 14:45
He skipped the Smokies and I don't know how much more. I can't tell from his Facebook page how contiguous his trip has been. They have posted nothing for LONG time with others posting random sightings.

Hampton Tn on 4/11???
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs485.ash1/26552_1272672741696_1376226476_30687473_6002219_n. jpg

from 4/12???

Just met Bulldog and Hitchcock on the Trail on their way to Denson's Cove, while we were section hiking! I'll post a picture soon! Way to go, guys!

Mini-Mosey
04-16-2010, 20:02
This is very inspiring!! Thanks for all the info; I hope he updates soon. I'm going to check out his blog.

Lone Wolf
04-18-2010, 10:26
saw him in damascus thursday

Nuthatch
04-22-2010, 14:09

http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/These haven't been updated in quite a few weeks. Any word on where Mike is currently?

Tin Man
04-22-2010, 20:30
These haven't been updated in quite a few weeks. Any word on where Mike is currently?

Apparently he isn't making many friends... :-?

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=304623

Nuthatch
04-23-2010, 13:03
Apparently he isn't making many friends... :-?

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=304623Well, everyone gets cranky now and then so...shrug. I didn't see anything in that TJ about him making or not making friends.

What kinda puzzles me is that I heard that he skipped the Smokies "because the Park Service would not let his film crew accompany him, since they didn't have the right permits to film their documentary in the Smokies". Is this true? And if so, why didn't he just tell the crew he'd meet them at Davenport Gap? If he can't hike without his film crew, that indicates to me that he can't/isn't hiking unassisted...:-? Not that that takes away from his huge accomplishment, just I'd thought he was saying he was doing this unassisted is all.

white_russian
04-23-2010, 13:57
What kinda puzzles me is that I heard that he skipped the Smokies "because the Park Service would not let his film crew accompany him, since they didn't have the right permits to film their documentary in the Smokies". Is this true? And if so, why didn't he just tell the crew he'd meet them at Davenport Gap? If he can't hike without his film crew, that indicates to me that he can't/isn't hiking unassisted...:-?

On his blog he says it is because of the snow and ice, but there were plenty of other people who didn't skip it. I mean the guy is from Minnesota and he claims to do all kinds of outdoor activities so you would figure he should be acquainted with snow and ice. I just wonder if he is actually being true to his claim of only using the GPS and pole?

ChinMusic
04-23-2010, 15:06
From other journals, by the time he would have gotten to Fontana all but an area around Clingman's would have been just fine with regards to snow, if that.

Tin Man
04-23-2010, 16:36
Well, everyone gets cranky now and then so...shrug. I didn't see anything in that TJ about him making or not making friends.

My comment here was not just about what he was said in the TJ, although it was implied that others agreed with the author that he was 'cranky'. My comment was also regarding what is missing. I couldn't find any one else referring to him or hanging with him, like so many other journal types comment on 'oh we met up with so and so in town or at this feed', etc. Nothing, but perhaps he has befriended some non-journaling types. Who knows. :-?

What kinda puzzles me is that I heard that he skipped the Smokies "because the Park Service would not let his film crew accompany him, since they didn't have the right permits to film their documentary in the Smokies". Is this true? And if so, why didn't he just tell the crew he'd meet them at Davenport Gap? If he can't hike without his film crew, that indicates to me that he can't/isn't hiking unassisted...:-? Not that that takes away from his huge accomplishment, just I'd thought he was saying he was doing this unassisted is all.

He never said he would hike completely unassisted. He posted a year or two ago, that he would welcome assistance in fact, but would likely not have that assistance every step of the way. He never was totally clear what that meant or what role the videographer would have, so we don't know. I do know he put it out there what he was doing, but leaving us hanging on his progress and the details might be frustrating to some. Perhaps he is just hyoh and observers from the peanut gallery just need to be patient. Maybe he wants us to wait for the film to come out. Let him hike and we will get the details when he sees fit. :cool:

dufuss06
04-26-2010, 12:35
I hiked both in front of Mike and Gary this year and I believe the man has guts. Gary is awsome also anyone that can put up with following a man around day in and day out that way deserves respect. I am currently off trail due to divorce hearings but will return shortly.

Lagging Behind
05-07-2010, 05:52
From what I hear, is he really hiking unassisted? It sounds like his camera man is helping him, regardless of what they say, I find it hard to believe that a GPS is accurate enough for him to be able to always stay on the trail.

mistiaggie
05-08-2010, 08:57
We first met him right after Bland and then at Woodshole Hostel in Pearisburg last Monday.

Shooting Star
05-08-2010, 11:25
I hiked through his camp in the Crawfish Valley btw Atkins/I-81 and Hwy 42. He
and Gary were doing fine...

Geo.
06-07-2010, 00:58
Looks like he arrived Harpers Ferry Jun 4th. Leaving tomorrow.
(see blog http://blindhiker.wordpress.com/ )

Spokes
06-07-2010, 08:06
saw him in damascus thursday

...........sort of ironic isn't it?

Lone Wolf
06-07-2010, 08:07
...........sort of ironic isn't it?

what?............

jayhawker
06-08-2010, 17:49
what?............

Acts.. fifth book in the new testament if I recall.

Lone Wolf
06-08-2010, 21:17
Acts.. fifth book in the new testament if I recall.
oh. OK. i'm bible illiterate. but open to learning

Appalachian Tater
06-08-2010, 21:23
A blind man whacked my shin with his cane today.

jayhawker
06-09-2010, 11:57
oh. OK. i'm bible illiterate. but open to learning

Not to twist this thread into a religious discussion but I'll explain the meaning of Spoke's clever remark :P

From what I remember anyway, Saul (AKA Paul) was travelling to Damascus to persecute the Christians and he is blinded by Jesus, spends three days in Damascus and converts when a disciple restores his sight and he becomes an evangelist travelling all over spreading the good word. :sun

jayhawker
06-09-2010, 11:59
And although I am not really a religious person.. I read constantly, including religious texts among other thigns. Odd that my first 3 posts on WB are related to religion :banana

Pickleodeon
06-09-2010, 16:16
just saw this on my aol homepage today Blind Hiker Battles Hardships on Appalachian Trail, Updates Facebook (http://www.switched.com/2010/06/09/blind-hiker-battles-hardships-on-appalachian-trail-updates-face/)

http://alturl.com/byjx

johnnybgood
06-09-2010, 16:38
Having a visually handicapped daughter myself ,so I have been following his journey closely .

I know of the obstacles that he refers to regarding public perception and employment in todays world.

Adapt and overcome is a great attitude to have.

Lagging Behind
08-18-2010, 22:01
Anyone know what has become of Bulldog? It has been several months since there has been anything said about him. Is he still on the trail? It would be great to get an update.

Jester2000
08-19-2010, 02:24
Anyone know what has become of Bulldog? It has been several months since there has been anything said about him. Is he still on the trail? It would be great to get an update.

Saw this (Warwick is in New York, just across the NJ border):

http://www.strausnews.com/articles/2010/08/11/sports/nj/misc/222.txt

Scooby99
08-19-2010, 08:05
Anyone know when he is going to flip up to Katahdin? At his pace, there is no way he reaches before winter.

johnnybgood
08-19-2010, 20:08
Anyone know when he is going to flip up to Katahdin? At his pace, there is no way he reaches before winter.

That article was previously dated July 15th -- more than one month ago.
If he is still on the trail and doing well his progress will have him much further north.

Jack Tarlin
08-20-2010, 12:54
They passed thru Hanover a few days ago, tho they presumably have some things to fill in further south, assuming their intentions are a complete thru-hike.

They seemed fit and well when I saw them.

just dad
08-20-2010, 20:41
I'm glad to hear Mke Hanson is still on the trail. When I section hiked in June/July I met a deaf and blind hiker who was thru hiking with a service support person (also deaf). They are both amazing people and their journey can be found at http://atdeafblinddream.wordpress.com/

BAG "o" TRICKS
08-21-2010, 17:58
Mike aka "Bulldog" arrived at the Hikers Welcome in Glencliff, NH today. He is in good spirits and said to me, "I may be crazy but I'm anxious to enter the Whites.., I told him he was crazy:). After talking with him about his journey thus far, I 'never' want to hear anyone complain about the trail again.

johnnybgood
08-21-2010, 20:02
It's great to hear that he is still excited and seems to cherish every moment.
He has been such an inspiration to so many people,--here's wishing him all the best .

I hope Hitchcock is faring as well . I'm sure the camera & equipment is no joke to carry 2,175 miles.

Captain Blue
08-21-2010, 22:48
It's great to hear that he is still excited and seems to cherish every moment.

Who said he is still excited and seemingly cherishing everymoment? Most are hikers are not at this point in the hike.

Jester2000
08-21-2010, 23:10
Who said he is still excited and seemingly cherishing everymoment? Most are hikers are not at this point in the hike.

Um, Bag of Tricks?

Feral Bill
08-21-2010, 23:48
I am very pleased to say that I was dead wrong in doubting Mike's ability to do this.

ChinMusic
08-22-2010, 01:07
I am very pleased to say that I was dead wrong in doubting Mike's ability to do this.
He has since said that he has relied on his partner through "difficult sections". The reliance on GPS was a bit over stated.

But I agree. An amazing accomplishment whether he finishes or not.

Feral Bill
08-22-2010, 12:49
He has since said that he has relied on his partner through "difficult sections". The reliance on GPS was a bit over stated.

But I agree. An amazing accomplishment whether he finishes or not.
Doesn't everyone depend on help at some point?

ChinMusic
08-22-2010, 13:36
Doesn't everyone depend on help at some point?
Absolutely.

The only concern/criticism of Mike's original plan was the over-reliance on GPS. It is good to read that Mike has backed off of that and accepted the level of help we all knew he would need.

Lagging Behind
08-24-2010, 16:27

Thanks Jester!

Jester2000
08-24-2010, 17:24
Thanks Jester!

That was as of July 15th, by the way. Jack says they're now past Hanover.

Lion King
08-24-2010, 20:10
They were still here yesterday (Glencliff) but they got a ride back to the trailhead from BagOTricks...the thing is, he drove around and then actually dropped them off at the trailhead in Hanover again....boy are they going to be mad at Bag O Tricks for that one when they get back here.:D

.....................and because some people here are so GD easily offended by humor, Im kidding, Mike is doing great and in top spirits.
Hope he makes it over some of the stuff coming up with less difficulty then I do.

heidir
09-03-2010, 09:10
Does anyone know if he will be stopping in Monson,Me before the last 100 mile? I work at the lakeshore pub/hostel plus there is Shaws boarding home in which i live next too,im sure many ppl here in Monson would be happy to welcome him!

johnnybgood
09-26-2010, 12:54
Anyone have information on where Bulldog and Hitchcock are now ?
The last update on his web page on Aug. 27th had him summiting Mt. Moosilauke .

Nean
09-26-2010, 22:29
Does anyone know if he will be stopping in Monson,Me before the last 100 mile? I work at the lakeshore pub/hostel plus there is Shaws boarding home in which i live next too,im sure many ppl here in Monson would be happy to welcome him!

He will stop there and enjoy the hospitality I'm sure.;)

4eyedbuzzard
09-27-2010, 01:00
Anyone have information on where Bulldog and Hitchcock are now ?
The last update on his web page on Aug. 27th had him summiting Mt. Moosilauke .
Mentioned in All Right and Half Left's journal on Sept 8th - Through NH and Mahoosic Notch as of then. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=328896

Reeper
11-16-2010, 14:56
I was on Springer Mountain when he took the pic on his facebook. Super nice guy. Best of luck to him.

fredmugs
11-24-2010, 09:23
I just saw on his facebook page that he stopped a half mile from the summit.

Geo.
01-07-2011, 17:28
Here's the most recent post from his blog site...

November 14, 2010 by Michael Hanson

Please accept my apologies for not posting this earlier. I thought this post had already gone through. I finished my hike of the AT and returned home on October 2. I had to cut it a little short to take advantage of a business opportunity. I have been invited to join a startup company that will produce assistive technology to provide real time information to persons with visual impairments currently unavailable to us. That has kept me fairly busy. I will try to keep you posted more regularly on post-hike activities related to this and progress on the documentary.’