PDA

View Full Version : Compression Sacks

Ladytrekker
03-11-2010, 15:40
Are they worth the cost and what do you use them for?

Lyle
03-11-2010, 15:48
Never use them. Bad for insulating gear like sleeping bags and jackets.

ChrisFol
03-11-2010, 16:09
Are they worth the cost and what do you use them for?

I don't use them, for the reasons mentioned above. Three Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil drybags and one food storage bag (varies depending on location regulations and duration) are all that I use for organization.

1) Sleeping bag and clothing that will be used at night go into one drybag.
2) Daytime clothing will go into another
3) Small items that I want to protect from water (headlamp, FAK, matches) and toiletries go into the third bag.

My cook system all stores together as one unit, my hydration and filtration system is packed together with a rubber band. Throw in my Tarp, pegs, and pad and I am all set to go.

Granted I could do away with the sacks altogether and save some ounces, but I just like the ease of finding and organization items with this system.

Roughin' It
03-11-2010, 17:01
Why are they bad for insulating gear? You gotta pack it down somehow. my JRB Nest underquilt for my hammock comes with one.

Lyle
03-11-2010, 17:13
To me it's just common sense. The less time your insulation is compressed, and the less severe compression it endures, the better off it is.

There is a reason all of the good manufacturers include large, cotton storage sacks for your good down and synthetic gear.

Franco
03-11-2010, 17:33
That JRB type is less aggressive than most, still compression sacks are not that clever for optimal packing . The reason is that you end up with a lot of bowling bowl shaped bundles that have unused space in between. Better to use dry sacks (loose) and let the weight of your gear compress everything down and fill all of the space available.
Just my opinion..
Franco

beakerman
03-11-2010, 17:39
Agreed that compression sacks are bad for "lofty" items. However it's gonna get crushed anyway in your pack. I never store my sleeping bags rolled or even in a stuff sack for this reason. However putting my bag in a stuff sack or even compression sack with mild compression while in my pack is not a concern to me. It helps keep it clean/dry and reduces the bulk. I let my bag loft back up before I crawl in it for the night.

carobe
03-11-2010, 18:44
I've used them in the past for reducing the volume of a fleece jacket (or the like) in a smaller pack, but they do leave those pesky unfilled gaps, so I tend to avoid them more often than not.

mykl
03-15-2010, 22:19
I've seen people use compression sacks for tents. Any opinions on that? I've been thinking about doing that, but just when in the pack/on the trail. Otherwise, stored loose.

srestrepo
03-16-2010, 00:59
i used to use a compression sack for my dome tent also. really made a big difference.

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 01:02
I considered using them but I dished out so much cash for my gear that I just don't want to risk damaging any of it, At least not until I get my money's worth out of it. I bought a large Backpack so I could fit everything without compression sacks.

leaftye
03-16-2010, 01:35
I use it for my synthetic sleeping bag. Using it is pretty much the only way I can fit my sleeping bag into the bottom compartment of my 6100 cu backpack.