PDA

View Full Version : What temp Rating for Sleeping Bag???

ssr41
03-11-2010, 17:19
What temperature rated sleeping bag should I get for spring and summer in the south east? And if yall have any recommendations for bags that would help a lot.

mister krabs
03-11-2010, 17:48
if you're 15 and buying your own, this. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065)

srestrepo
03-11-2010, 17:56
year Mr. krabs hit the nail on the head with that one. a lot of good things about this bag. and its down so that'll give you plenty of practice with how to keep it dry before moving on to lighter and warmer things i.e. feathered friends and western mountaineering bags...

bigcranky
03-11-2010, 20:51
Depends on what you mean by "spring" -- mid March? Late May? A good 15- or 20-F bag is useful in mid-March, while you only need a 30F bag or maybe a 35 in late May through the summer.

That Campmor bag is a terrific value. Good choice.

rp1790
03-11-2010, 20:59
I used a 25 deg Montbell down bag for mar - Apr last year. Never was cold, but I sleep warm.

Manwich
03-11-2010, 21:17
Campmor 20. It's a great entry level and mid level, and even a few triple crowners still roll with them.

WalkSoftly33
03-16-2010, 15:14
Your Sleep System as a hole is important. Here is what im bringing.

Bag
I just purchase a Montbell UL Super Streatch #2. rated to 25* ($260 from prolite gear) 1lb 12oz

Have not used it but this bag allows the user to sleep in a non-mummy position while pulling the insulation close to the body eliminating air that needs to be heated up

Layering
Upper
BPL Beartooth Merino Wool hoody
BPL Thoro fair shirt (If needed, used while hiking)
Montbell Alpine Light Down Jacket
Sserious fleece baclava
Mountain Hardware Perigon Dome Hat
Possum Down Gloves
MLD Event Rain Mitts (If needed)

If Cold enough and dry I would throw my Driducks jacket on as well

Lower
Smartwool microlight tights
Smartwool mid weight socks or Friedly Icecream Freezer socks (buddy works in there -40 freezer, they are super warm but bulky )

If really cold Rei Sahara Convertible pants (If needed, used hiking)
Also could put my feet inside my pack inside my sleeping bag if needed (if its that cold it will not be wet, plus I use a pack cover)

Ground Insulation
Gossamer Gear 1/8th thinlight under a
Neo-Air Short
With my feet/legs on a Gossamer Gear Nightlight Torso Length folded up (2.5")

Nightlight can also be tossed under my upper body if it is really cold or neo air fails. Does quadruple duty as a sit pad and pack pad as well

With this set up I think I will be comftorable to 15* survivable even lower. Also a tent blocks the wind and cuts back on convection. Annecdotaly adding/saving 4-5*

mister krabs
03-16-2010, 15:23
Your Sleep System as a hole is important. Here is what im bringing.

Dude, you've got near to a thousand dollars plus worth of premium gear there. Great for you, but the original poster is 15.

WalkSoftly33
03-16-2010, 15:48
Dude, you've got near to a thousand dollars plus worth of premium gear there. Great for you, but the original poster is 15.

Sorry about that did not mean anything by it. Did not see his age. Still the concept of layering and ground insulation is just as important as bag, I did not learn it until alot later than 15.

Bag Synthetic is cheaper, Alps mountainering $67
http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/ALM0011/ALPS-Mountaineering-Clearwater-Sleeping-Bag-20-Degree-Synthetic.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO002&CMP_SKU=ALM0011&mv_pc=r126

I think Walmart sells a cheap blue pad that will work for ground insulation $12

http://wwwndc.walmart.com/ip/Wenzel-71-x-24-Camp-Pad-Blue/13228658

Layering while sleeping is important. Clothes can be found anywear my only recommendation is dont bring cotton. Synthetic or wool.

Cheap rain gear - Dri Ducks or Frogtoggs for more durability

WalkSoftly33
03-16-2010, 15:57
I have a 35 degree synthetic Alps bag I purchased off Steep and Cheap for $40 keep and eye out I have seen the 20* one on there before

WalkSoftly33
03-16-2010, 15:58
I find it comftorable to about 45