PDA

View Full Version : How do you answer the "why"?

MisterSweetie
10-04-2004, 11:58
I know, I know, there are 50 reasons I can give myself, but when someone asks me or I tell someone what I'm doing, and their only question is "why?", how do you answer that?

Because I want to?

Because it will be fun?

Because I'll grow as a person?

Why not?

All of those seem to me to have easy answers discrediting them as reasons. (ie, it won't always be fun, you can grow as a person off the trail, etc).

Can anyone offer any insight for me? Thanks.

rocket04
10-04-2004, 12:02
Why anything? I mean, it will be fun is as good an answer as any. Yes, it may not always be, but neither is it off the trail. And the trail experience has the added bonus that it's not something you experience every day. So for added reasons, I'd say to get away from the superficial, to be closer to nature, to drink fresh spring water, to listen to birds sing, to see bears, to challenge yourself physically, to get all those views that most people never get to, to meet good people that renew your faith in human nature, to enjoy the small towns along the way that you'd never go to otherwise. The list goes on, I'm sure others will provide many other reasons for you.

Tha Wookie
10-04-2004, 12:05
Quite literally: There are as many reasons are there are steps.

MisterSweetie
10-04-2004, 12:08
I guess I should amend my question to mean this: How do you answer the "why" from people who have no sense of adventure, no appreciation for nature, no desire to be anywhere but the most convenient place...

Thanks for the quick answers so far.

orangebug
10-04-2004, 12:37
Why Not?

At least that's my favorite answer to that question.

rocket04
10-04-2004, 12:38
Ask them what they like to do, and you'll probably run into something that you have no interest in. Then tell them the way they feel about hiking/outdoors is the same as what you feel for basketball/cooking or whatever it is that you don't share an interest in that they like. It's something that's felt, not reasoned out.

A-Train
10-04-2004, 12:43
You shouldn't need to explain it to others. Some people will never get it. My mom was proud of me for planning a thru-hike and exucuting it, but she will never truly get why I love being out on the Trail.

Yogi says it well in her book when she says something like, most people enjoy playing golf. She hates golf and would never wanna play so why would she expect someone to understand why she likes to backpack.

MisterSweetie
10-04-2004, 13:08
Ask them what they like to do, and you'll probably run into something that you have no interest in. Then tell them the way they feel about hiking/outdoors is the same as what you feel for basketball/cooking or whatever it is that you don't share an interest in that they like. It's something that's felt, not reasoned out.

You shouldn't need to explain it to others. Some people will never get it. My mom was proud of me for planning a thru-hike and exucuting it, but she will never truly get why I love being out on the Trail.

Yogi says it well in her book when she says something like, most people enjoy playing golf. She hates golf and would never wanna play so why would she expect someone to understand why she likes to backpack.

Both posts make excellent points. Thanks! And thanks everyone, great replies.

minnesotasmith
10-04-2004, 13:28
"I want to do it, and to have done it."

That is, I would enjoy going through the experience, and in a near-endless series of gray days, could look back at any time in my mind and know that I once managed to arrange my life so as to be more alive, more in touch with how we're supposed to live, than 95%+ of people in the West ever manage.

chris
10-04-2004, 13:44
I tend not to answer this question when it is asked of me. Any answer you give will not be sufficient. So, if someone asks me, I generally respond with something innocuous, like "It is a good way to spend a summer." I've found, however, that if you do not tell people you are a thruhiker, they will not ask the question. When I was on the AT this summer, I would tell people, honestly, that I was just out on a section. When they would ask me where I was headed, I would just tell them the next town. If they would ask where I was coming from, I'd tell them the place I spent the previous night. The conversation would usually end then, as section hikers don't seem to rate highly on people's estimation scales.

minnesotasmith
10-04-2004, 13:51
I saw part of it on my hike just this past weekend. This single guy (in general as nice a fellow as you could hope to share a shelter with) made this remark when everyone in the shelter was comparing gear, and the overnight hikers (of which I was one) had let on that they had brought far more food than they would end up using on their hike:

"That's overnight hikers for you; 'I'll just throw this in!'."

The man wasn't at all wrong IMO in what I took to be his implication that section- and through-hikers have to have more discipline and longer-range thinking than "out on Saturday, back on Sunday" hikers such as I was. However, I would have loved to have been doing all of GA right now, as he was; it's not inclination that separated his hike from mine.

smokymtnsteve
10-04-2004, 13:56
PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"Cold morning on Aztec Peak Fire Lookout. First, build fire in old stove. Second, start coffee. Then, heat up last night's pork chops and spinach for breakfast. Why not? And why the hell not?"

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Flash Hand
10-04-2004, 14:05
People forget often that two person are NOT A LIKE! no one in the world is the same. Everytime I hear people talking about how crazy I am for doing thru hike, travel around the world and I told them, my name is Allan, you are not Allan, so your name is John Doe, do anything you want and mind your own business and I will do the same. A lot of people are glued to the same old system today, Society. People who are plaqued to the society today, i.e. school, college, job, then marriage, prepare for retirement and burial places. If you don't have one of those, people questioned you and think you are crazy. Today I am 33, am not married, didn't finish college, don't have job after got laid off, no kids, and have no retirement plans in my mind yet. I am not homeless. I have some goals to make in the future, thru hike the AT and probably PCT, travel around the globe, bike across the America, visit all national parks, etc., then when I am satisifed with my goal, then I will start doing something that what people expect me to do, finish school, get degree, get a job, get married, have kids and then plan for the retirement...

Everyone is different, everyone is obliged to make decision to what they want. This is the nation of free. You are free to do whatever you want, do it. Life is one time opportunity, not two. Make sure other people knows that you have many choices to make to fulfil one life span.

Just talk with your friends or people who have doubt about your plans. It take a lot of time to educate others. You have plenty of time to talk about it, instead of why not? It not fair to other people if you don't want to share the wealth of information. A lot of people I met, think I am crazy for going on Appalachian Trail, but when they saw the information on the internet, newspaper, some kind of media information and it will change the way their thinking is. Invest your time to teach something to other people. My step father is member of Racing Homing Pigeon, and not a lot of people aware of that. It is a sport and hobby that always keep my step father busy. Some people think it is a waste of money to keep those hobby. They don't think how hobby and recreation is not free, but expensive. Recreation is what life is made of. I can list a lot of things but the best way is to invest your time to educate others. It is fun to see other people learn something new.

Just two cents

Flash Hand :jump

Footslogger
10-04-2004, 17:20
I gotta go with A-Tain on this one. If someone has to ask why there's a pretty good chance they wouldn't be able to understand or relate to your answer.

This thread caused me to recall a comment made by my older sister when I told her I was doing a thru-hike of the AT in 2003. She looked at me, like a big sister often does, and said ..."what makes you think you can hike the AT?" It took me a second or two but I stared right back at her and said ..."what makes you think I can't !!"

Wookie put a number to it (sort of ...) when he said that there are as many reasons to hike the trail as there are footsteps !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Tha Wookie
10-04-2004, 19:06
yeah, I had about 4.25 million reasons to hike the West Coast this year.

peter_pan
10-04-2004, 22:16
If I have to explain you won't understand........

Clark Fork
10-04-2004, 23:30
Why? The AT is the ultimate blue blaze trail. Those who ask you why are likely living their lives along a white blaze trail never veering off to enjoy the pleasures of a trail marked with blue blazes. Choosing a different route is simply a daring adventure that is after all an unusual and exciting experience. It affords you the right to be insolent both to those left behind and to the gods to be met.

“The tops of mountains are among the unfinished parts of the globe, whither it is a slight insult to the gods to climb and pry into their secrets, and try their effect on our humanity. Only daring and insolent men, perchance, go there. Simple races, as savages, do not climb mountains,--their tops are sacred and mysterious tracts never visited by them. Pomola is always angry with those who climb to the summit of Ktaadn.” From “The Maine Woods” Henry David Thoreau, August-September 1846

Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

minnesotasmith
10-05-2004, 06:13
I would say that most people are solely yellow-blazers, never blue- or white-blazing. They don't hike as a rule out of sight of cars or buildings; they are essentially nonhikers IMO.

minnesotasmith
10-05-2004, 08:28
But, it looks like nonhikers are more likely to end up that way:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3677502.stm

Walking link to low[er] dementia risk

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40096000/jpg/_40096066_ramblers203.jpg Walking can help the elderly stay alert, say researchers

"Walking is linked to a reduced risk of dementia, research suggests.

Two separate US studies, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, looked at the benefits for men and women.

The study of over 2,000 men over 71 found those who walked least had almost twice the risk of developing dementia than those who walked the most.

A second study of 18,000 women showed those who did more exercise scored better on mental agility tests.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif It is certainly becoming increasingly evident that what is beneficial for the heart is also good for the brain, including exercise http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Dr Clive Ballard, Alzheimer's Society

Previous research has suggested that physical activity could be related to dementia risk, but it was not know if the association included low-intensity activity such as walking.

In the study of elderly men, a team from the University of Virginia School of Medicine, Charlottesville, looked at how far they walked per day.

They were monitored from 1991 to 1993. Neurological assessments were carried out between 1994 and 1996, and 1997 to 1999 to see how many had developed dementia.

It was found that, after adjusting for age, men who walked the least, less than 0.25 miles per day, experienced a 1.8-fold increased risk of dementia compared with those who walked more than 2 miles a day.

The association remained after other factors, including the possibility that limited amounts of walking could be the result of a decline in physical function due to preclinical dementia, were accounted for.

Writing in JAMA, the researchers led by Dr Robert Abbott, said: "Although complex, this study and past evidence suggest that walking and active lifestyles in general are associated with a reduced risk of dementia," the researchers conclude.

But they said it was not yet clear why the association existed.

'Three years younger'

In the second study, researchers from Harvard Medical School studied 18,766 women aged 70 and over. They were all taking part in the Nurses' Health Study, a major piece of research which began in 1976.

The women were asked to complete questionnaires every two years, beginning in 1986.

They were then divided into five groups, depending on how much energy they expended.

The researchers found that higher levels of physical exercise were linked to better cognitive performance.

Those in the highest activity grouping also had a 20% lower risk of cognitive impairment than those women in the lowest.

Women who walked at an easy pace for at least 1.5 hours per week had higher cognitive scores than those who walked less than forty minutes per week.

Dr Jennifer Weuve and her colleagues, who carried out the study, said: "The apparent cognitive benefits of greater physical activity were similar in extent to being about three years younger in age and were associated with a 20% lower risk of cognitive impairment.

"The association was not restricted to women engaging in vigorous activities.

"In summary, higher levels of physical activity, including walking, are associated with better cognitive function and less cognitive decline."

Professor Clive Ballard, Director of Research for the UK's Alzheimer's Society, said:" This is potentially a very interesting study, but needs to be interpreted carefully as physical health problems that increase the risk of developing dementia may also reduce physical fitness and walking capacity.

"The authors do not suggest possible mechanisms, but it is certainly becoming increasingly evident that what is beneficial for the heart is also good for the brain, including exercise." He added: "More speculatively, there is also evidence from some animal studies that exercise increases the number of active stem cells in the brain, which may possibly be relevant to brain protection. "Although the mechanisms require further study, walking would be generally beneficial as part of a healthy lifestyle, and may also reduce the risk of developing dementia." "

Belew
10-05-2004, 18:15
Last year my plan was to hike from Springer to Damascus. All my aunt's and uncle's found out last spring while we were having a party for my grandma and I was dreading the question. I knew they would think I was a fool. One of them asked me where I got this idea. I told them all I could spend those six weeks at my job, the same job I've had for close to fifteen years doing the same thing I do every day or I can go hiking. When I am old and it's to late for this chance at least I wont be wondering what it would have been like if I had only tried. One of my uncle's told be that was a great reason and I could see it came from his heart. It was a good day after all.

LIhikers
10-08-2004, 16:28
If they have to ask that question in the first place they probably won't be able to relate to your answer. Oh sure they'll understand the words, but they won't be able to make the connection of words to reason. Just my 2 cents

Budster the Great
10-11-2004, 01:51
Forgive me for being Cap'n Psychology here--but why ARE you doing it?

The best answer to this (or any other) question is the truth.

If you don't know why you're doing it, or can't find the words to explain, then that's the best answer.

That is, assuming you want genuine dialogue, the kind that creates greater understanding. If you just want to get the civilians off your back, then you can throw out some stock and/or cryptic phrase, e.g: "Because it's there," or whatever.

As for me, I hike because because I feel good before, during, and after I do it. Now, how about you?

NotYet
10-11-2004, 08:48
I don't know why I hike. But I do feel the many reasons.

To me, hiking is like creating a simple, but beautiful poem. And it's a poem that runs through my heart long after I've returned home to "civilization".

SGT Rock
10-11-2004, 09:44
Usually I start the answer by trying to get that person to go hiking and find out. After that it depends on the person I talk to as to how I answer. From my days as a recruiter I find it is better to relate such an answer to something the person can relate to. Since there are so many people out there and so many reasons I choose to hike, I find it better to emphasize certain aspects rather than try to list them all. I have buddies that hunt that can't imagine I would want to walk in the woods that long without killing anything, so I try to emphasize seeing the wildlife more and no cleaning at the end of the day - just photos to process. Some friends are couch potatoes and don't know why I would want to walk in the mountains when it is so much easier to drive - so to them I talk about how much more you see one step at a time and the extra satisfaction of the view on the top of the mountain with how hard the climb was up it. There are lots of other examples, but I think you get the picture.

The Hog
11-07-2004, 08:17
My first extended hike on the A.T. was a section in southern Vermont in early October with my college sweetheart as hiking partner. In less than a week, we had rain, snow, sleet, hail, and lightning, plus gorgeous color, mud, blowdowns, misery, and splendor. I quickly fell head over heels in love with the trail, while my girlfriend hated it. There was so much LIFE packed into that week that I could scarcely contain myself! I knew that this was the thing I really wanted to do, and my girlfriend knew, I think, that she wanted nothing to do with me or the trail anymore. So,good riddance to her, and hello to a lifetime of enjoyment (and misery), life, in short, on the A.T. and other trails.

When I was working 9 to 5 for years at a job I detested, I'd look back over a week spent at the office and couldn't for the life of me remember anything interesting or significant that happened. But a week on the Trail is packed with lifelong memories, new friends, mind-blowing summit vistas, wet gear, bug bites, and wildlife sightings. Life slows down to a pace where you can fully immerse yourself in it, wallow in it, even.

After ten years of doing sections, I only had 300 miles. At that rate, I wasn't going to finish my dream of hiking the whole A.T. So I made the (huge) leap of faith and embraced the idea of chucking my job and going for it all GA to ME.

Non hikers can never fully understand. Some shake their heads and tell you you're nuts. For them, I have a ready answer. It's a quote from Thoreau:

"There is no more fatal blunderer than he who consumes the greater part of his life getting his living."

walkin' wally
11-07-2004, 10:03
For me, a major transition point in my life.
I want time for introspection and to put things in their place.
I want to leave some things in the past irretrievably stranded and I want to look forward to the future.
I want to do something I've never done and have time to enjoy the transition that is inevitable.
I want to experience the magic that is the AT.
I want to experience something a lot of people never will.

Mags
11-08-2004, 12:48
This was written by True North. I believe it was originally posted in her journal. She did the PCT and wrote this before she did the AT.

One of the best "WHY?" things I've read....

"Well, she's at it again," and they're right.
It's high time for another long walk. Why?

Well, I hike the long trail because I love to.

Because there are no traffic jams or signals,
no stop signs, parking meters or police.

Because no where on earth have I experienced lakes so deep in color they appear purple. Because in their pristine waters, a log can be seen 25 feet below the surface.

Because the greens are greener out here,
the blues bluer,
and images are crisp and sharp.

Because I like being supported by the earth each night when I rest upon her.

Because I experience the terrain, vegetation, and wildlife of the land with an intimacy those touring in SUV's will never know.

Because, alas, campsites are plentiful and free!

I hike the long trail because "getting out of town" on a Friday night is a daily occurrence — and it happens every morning at 6am.

Because hiking defines freedom, adventure, peace and beauty.

Because no two days are ever alike.

Because the toughest executive decision out here is how much water to carry, how many miles to hike, and where to camp — best of all, none need board approval to be put into action.

Because, mercifully, there are no phones or pagers on the trail.

Because some of the most awesome people I know walk trails.

I hike the long trail because I can gorge myself stupid on wild huckleberries.

Because I like the idea of carrying all I need to live on my back — which truly isn't much.

Because opening a resupply box comes closest to the excitement of Christmas morning I've known since childhood.

Because starting a day doesn't rely on coffee and unwinding from it doesn't rely on beer — just 400mg ibuprofen.

Because for every uphill there is a downhill, and for every rocky path there is one padded with soft pine needles . . . . . somewhere.

Because when no one is around to help me out of a snow bank or up a steep canyon, I discover what I'm made of.

Because trail mix tastes better out here.

I hike the long trail because the sights on a thru-hike are ultimately diverse.

Because the trail is safer than any metropolitan area I know of.

Because hikers are patient, adventuresome beings, who genuinely look after one another.

Because I'm inspired by the footprints left by those on the trail before me.

Because June 21st (summer solstice) is "hike naked day".

Because "taking a walk" will never hold the same meaning again.

And finally, not because I regard hiking a long trail as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that many of the other concerns of mankind are equally unimportant — and not nearly so much fun.

---- True North (PCT ‘01)

Spirit Walker
11-08-2004, 13:05
That is a really terrific answer.

Usually when people ask, I come up with a dozen half answers. If the timing is wrong (a really hard day) I have a hard time coming up with any. But bottom line, I hike because it makes me truly happy.