PDA

View Full Version : Smartwool, what weight/size

Loneoak
03-11-2010, 18:24
I see that most hikers wear Smartwool socks.

If you were buying these for 3 season wear, which weight do you prefer: Light, medium, heavy.
Also, I normally wear a size 8 1/2 to a 9 in a boot and wonder if it would be better to go with a medium size (less than a 9) or go with the large (9-12) size.
Seems the larger sock would only bunch up and help cause blister.

Your opinion please.

thx

JAK
03-11-2010, 18:41
I do well with all thicknesses of wool socks, but most people would get the most use out of light weight smartwool socks, and medium after that. I also go thinner, in the form of wool dress socks. You can sometimes find these in 80% wool, 20% nylon, and they are a cooler alternative to lightweight smartwool. I also have a couple pair of hand knit wool socks, which are a real treat, and can sometimes be found relatively cheap. These are usually thicker, because the thinner the yarn is, the more stitches there are, so thin hand knit wool socks are not so easy to find cheap. You could learn to knit your own though.

Anyhow, I would recommend 3 pairs of wool socks for most hiking trips:
1 pr thin wool dress socks
1 pr lightweight smartwool socks
1 pr mediumweight smartwool socks

You don't need that many pairs, because they are surprisingly durable. Its worth buying a pair when you find them on sale though. Also, 80% wool dress socks are somewhat rare, so when you find those on sale it is good to get at least a 6 pack.

mudhead
03-11-2010, 18:45

Your opinion please.

thx

That would happen to me. You need to try a pair to test for yourself. Some places have a basket of try ons, don't know if it is to sell socks or to sell boots.

I like Trekking. Some like thinner.

Be sure to look at Darn Tough. $, but sweet. Wish they worked on my feet.

Skidsteer
03-11-2010, 18:46
I see that most hikers wear Smartwool socks.

If you were buying these for 3 season wear, which weight do you prefer: Light, medium, heavy.
Also, I normally wear a size 8 1/2 to a 9 in a boot and wonder if it would be better to go with a medium size (less than a 9) or go with the large (9-12) size.

Your opinion please.

thx

I prefer the light hikers year round. Go with the less than 9 size, IMO.

Old Grouse
03-11-2010, 18:48
Whereas I prefer the thick ones year round and never have experienced bunching. You need to test several thicknesses and brands.

garlic08
03-11-2010, 21:27
I prefer the light hikers year round. Go with the less than 9 size, IMO.

Ditto this.

Appalachian Tater
03-11-2010, 21:51
I agree on the under 9 size. One of the outfitters told me the women's Smartwool socks have a narrower heel and don't bunch or slip as much and it seems to be true so you might consider those if you have a problem with excess material back there.

My understanding was that is the only difference besides the writing on the cardboard.

Mr. Clean
03-12-2010, 05:50
I think the heavy is overkill; they tend to be stiff. I would go with light or mediums.

JAK
03-12-2010, 07:08
Wait. I've changed my mind.

NO GEAR FOR YOU! Next.

- the gear nazi

Loneoak
03-12-2010, 09:55
LOL at Jak......did you choke on your stew ? Thanks for everyones opinion, at the cost of these socks, I didn't want to spend money for the wrong ones.

RWK
03-12-2010, 13:40
I would try a pair before you buy several pair. I bought Smart Wool socks and with the trail runners I wear(New Balance 905) I found my feet slipped too much. Didn't have the same problems with some Cabelas wool socks.

I think the quality of Smart Wool is good, in fact maybe too good with my insoles because they are very smooth if you can describe socks as smooth. Maybe slick is a better word.