PDA

View Full Version : REI Sale???

Trooper
03-12-2010, 11:02
Hi,

I know there is a 20% off sale on REIoutlet.com right now, but anyone know when/if REI.com is having a spring sale anytime soon? I'm hoping to catch a good slae price on a Marmot Arroyo sleeping bag.

Thanks!

Cabin Fever
03-12-2010, 11:30
REI dividend along with 20% off one full price item comes out Sunday.

Storm
03-12-2010, 13:39
www.basegear.com (http://www.basegear.com)

Best price on the Arroyo that I've seen.:)

Summit
03-14-2010, 11:59
REI dividend along with 20% off one full price item comes out Sunday.The question is . . . which Sunday? It apparently wasn't this one! :rolleyes: :)

Spot In The Sky
03-14-2010, 12:12
Well what is weird is that last week I had $0 in my dividends, now I have $76 but it says that 2009 hasnt been calculated yet. And 2009 is when I bought ALL of my camping gear for this thru hike, which was close to like $2000 in gear so I would hope its more than $76!

10-K
03-14-2010, 12:17
The question is . . . which Sunday? It apparently wasn't this one! :rolleyes: :)

The REI website says "Look for it around March 22"

jnetx
03-14-2010, 12:24
last week I had $0 in my dividends, now I have $76 but it says that 2009 hasnt been calculated yet.

My dividend also appears with a balance today. They have probably calculated it but not sent out emails or letters yet, and not removed the message. I didn't try to spend it yet as they usually have a couple of decent sales in the weeks after the Dividend notifications are sent out.

Spot In The Sky
03-14-2010, 12:41
My dividend also appears with a balance today. They have probably calculated it but not sent out emails or letters yet, and not removed the message. I didn't try to spend it yet as they usually have a couple of decent sales in the weeks after the Dividend notifications are sent out.
Did yours looks like an accurate amount?

nitewalker
03-14-2010, 14:45
Well what is weird is that last week I had $0 in my dividends, now I have $76 but it says that 2009 hasnt been calculated yet. And 2009 is when I bought ALL of my camping gear for this thru hike, which was close to like $2000 in gear so I would hope its more than $76!

only certain items qualify for the dividend. you mite want to pay closer attention on what actually qualifies for the dividend...im pretty sure thats how it goes..rei inflates their prices to counter the dividend. whenever i compare with other places rei is usually the most expensive...just my 2 cents

Summit
03-14-2010, 15:25
Dividends only apply to full price items. Sales priced items do not add to dividends. Makes good business sense. They aren't going to give you another 10% off an already highly discounted item. The better alternative is to acquire and use the REI Visa card. I'm looking forward to over $200 in dividends, almost all of which is for non-REI purchases. Gonna take the 20% discount on a new pair of Merrell Moab Ventilator shoes and apply dividends to get them at no cost. I'll still have $160 balance to buy some other things! :)

srestrepo
03-15-2010, 14:11
Did yours looks like an accurate amount?
my dividend is all messed up. i spent well over 1500 dollars this year. i know i bought a few things on the outlet so i took that into account. but my dividend was only like 36 bucks... the explanation i'm going to assume is that once i return things the items that you repurchase does qualify for the dividend. which sucks becuase i only bought full price things...

i feel robbed.

scottdennis
03-15-2010, 14:19
REI dividend along with 20% off one full price item comes out Sunday.

I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone at REI on this one. I've heard so many different things it's ridiculous!

I'm beginning to thing that the federal government has taken over the administration of the REI dividend.

Not Sunshine
03-16-2010, 06:19
does anyone have that additional 20% off an outlet item coupon code? i don't. :(

bigcranky
03-16-2010, 07:25
rei inflates their prices to counter the dividend. whenever i compare with other places rei is usually the most expensive...

Not true. Products at REI are sold at their manufacturer's suggested retail price. They aren't adding anything to that price to "counter the dividend." The point of REI is that it's a co-op, and membership gets you a discount on regular price gear. (Which doesn't hurt REI at all, since their cost on clothing is half the MSRP in general.)

When you see cheaper prices elsewhere, they are below MSRP. Which is fine. Sometimes they are "sale" prices (which happens often enough at REI), sometimes they are older models on clearance (found at a lot of online outlet stores).

In any case, you are free to shop around and buy wherever you find the lowest price.

Maddog
03-16-2010, 08:32
my dividend is all messed up. i spent well over 1500 dollars this year. i know i bought a few things on the outlet so i took that into account. but my dividend was only like 36 bucks... the explanation i'm going to assume is that once i return things the items that you repurchase does qualify for the dividend. which sucks becuase i only bought full price things...

i feel robbed.

my dividend amount appeared sunday morning and i spent it sunday afternoon...no problems!!! all from the AT...having it sent to hot springs ! happy trails! maddog:D

big_muddy
03-16-2010, 09:58
does anyone have that additional 20% off an outlet item coupon code? i don't. :(
That sale is over for now. There is no coupon code for the additional 20% off the outlet. It was automatically taken off the most expensive item in your cart when you purchased it.

scottdennis
03-16-2010, 18:37
Not true. Products at REI are sold at their manufacturer's suggested retail price. They aren't adding anything to that price to "counter the dividend." The point of REI is that it's a co-op, and membership gets you a discount on regular price gear. (Which doesn't hurt REI at all, since their cost on clothing is half the MSRP in general.)

When you see cheaper prices elsewhere, they are below MSRP. Which is fine. Sometimes they are "sale" prices (which happens often enough at REI), sometimes they are older models on clearance (found at a lot of online outlet stores).

In any case, you are free to shop around and buy wherever you find the lowest price.

I agree. I picked up a couple of water bottles at REI for $10. I saw the exact same bottles at Sports Authority for $12 (well not the EXACT same. . .one said REI the other said Sports Authority). Other than that they were the same.

The key is knowing your stuff and what the prices are else where. Some times I can get stuff at REI cheaper, other times Gander Mountain, and other times online.

Summit
03-17-2010, 07:03
My dividends have posted . . . $241, yee ha! Thank you REI Visa! Now waiting for the member's sale which should start in next 2 weeks to get 20% off high ticket item and then apply my dividends. Thinking about upgrading my backpack to the Gregory Baltoro 70. I could get it for no cash out of pocket.

REI sales are great. Get stuff when deep discounted. I NPR (Never Pay Retail) so only buy gear at REI on sale or 20% member discounted. As bigcranky said, be careful shopping online as often the cheaper item is last years' or discontinued model of that brand. If you're OK with that and want to save the money, fine. Just know what you're getting by carefully researching the product, which is relatively easy using our friend "google." ;)

An example would be the popular Marmot Precip jacket. The online discounters don't give a lot of detail, so the best advise is to learn what this year's model colors are. You likely won't find any steep discounts on those color jackets, but you will find them on other color (year/model) ones. Remember it's not just colors that changed, even though that's the best way to identify the year/model. There are usually significant improvements that the eye cannot discern looking at pictures on the web.

nitewalker
03-17-2010, 07:14

i may have misused the word inflate. i should have said that every time i go to the two outfitters[1/4 mile apart] rei sees to have higher prices than the other outfitter. i study enough prices for hiking gear that i know what i see. these are not sale items just head to head comparisons from one store to the other. i can get a candle lantern at walmart 8$ cheaper than rei..let me end on this note, not all items are higher priced...why buy something at rei for 10% dividend when you can wait for a 20 or 30% sale and do much better?

Mrs Baggins
03-21-2010, 17:11
my dividend amount appeared sunday morning and i spent it sunday afternoon...no problems!!! all from the AT...having it sent to hot springs ! happy trails! maddog:D

Ours was posted this past Friday. We went to the REI in Timonium MD today and a sales guy asked me if we were members. When I said yes, he told me that the dividends do NOT start to apply until tomorrow - Monday, 22nd - and that is when the 20% would start as well and that lasts until April 18th. Needless to say we didn't buy anything today except for Java Juice and Gu Gel packets and only because they're often out of the ones we want.

Mrs Baggins
03-21-2010, 17:15
Follow up to my last post - the store did seem oddly empty for a time when people should have been out spending their dividends, and many shelves and racks were empty as if they weren't going to stock up til later. Not winter stuff - ordinary things like fuel canisters, food items, cookware and stoves were either not there or in short supply.

Egads
03-21-2010, 17:16
Ours was posted this past Friday. We went to the REI in Timonium MD today and a sales guy asked me if we were members. When I said yes, he told me that the dividends do NOT start to apply until tomorrow - Monday, 22nd - and that is when the 20% would start as well and that lasts until April 18th. Needless to say we didn't buy anything today except for Java Juice and Gu Gel packets and only because they're often out of the ones we want.

Dividends have been available for online purchases all week

Mrs Baggins
03-21-2010, 19:15
I want to buy clothes and I have to see them and try them on - - so on-line purchases don't apply.

double d
03-21-2010, 20:06
I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone at REI on this one. I've heard so many different things it's ridiculous!

I'm beginning to thing that the federal government has taken over the administration of the REI dividend.

Did you call them? Here is there HQ at 1-800-426-4840. REI has great personal working for them, so good luck on your questions.

double d
03-21-2010, 20:13
I want to buy clothes and I have to see them and try them on - - so on-line purchases don't apply.

Good point, but you can always order them online, have them shipped to the nearest store to you, try them on there and exchange them at that REI store for a better fitting item, but whatever works best for you, is best for you.

K2
03-21-2010, 20:25
Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=991444#post991444)

Good point, but you can always order them online, have them shipped to the nearest store to you, try them on there and exchange them at that REI store for a better fitting item, but whatever works best for you, is best for you.

This is what I did and it worked out great.

Trooper
03-22-2010, 09:49
REI 20% off one item sale going on now.

I just bouhgt the Marmot Arroyo, a 20 L. stuff sack and some new hiking socks. I'm good to go baby!!!

10-K
03-22-2010, 10:03
Is the REI 20% a one time use thing, or can you place multiple orders and get 20% off on each order? I'm a member but my go-to store for gear is Backcountry.com because the prices are the same as REI and they offer free shipping over $50

FWIW, Campsaver.com has a 20% off everything you order with no limit on how many times you use the coupon until March 31st.

Mrs Baggins
03-22-2010, 10:09
Is the REI 20% a one time use thing, or can you place multiple orders and get 20% off on each order? I'm a member but my go-to store for gear is Backcountry.com because the prices are the same as REI and they offer free shipping over $50

FWIW, Campsaver.com has a 20% off everything you order with no limit on how many times you use the coupon until March 31st.

The website says "20% off of one regular priced item." That would seem to say you one shot on one thing and that's it. Now, you might be able to circumvent it by using the 20% for an on-line purchase, and then going to a store and using it again in person - - if they don't track that sort of thing. Personally, I don't even sneak food into movie theaters, so I'd have to be honest about it and use it once. My loss, I know.

In the meantime, I've filed a complaint with REI about the Timonium store's not applying dividends until today and about their shoddy inventory. Always helps to vent.

10-K
03-22-2010, 10:32
[QUOTE=Mrs Baggins;991642]Personally, I don't even sneak food into movie theaters, so I'd have to be honest about it and use it once. My loss, I know.
[QUOTE]

Ms. Baggins, it's what you do when nobody's looking that counts.

I wouldn't sell my integrity for 20% off either.

Hooch
03-22-2010, 10:45
Just used some of my dividend and the 20% off to get a new Mountain Hardwear Elkommando hiking kilt. It's backordered, but I'm interested to try one of these things out for myself. I've heard lots of good stuff about hiking in kilts, so it's time to give it a go. :banana

Mrs Baggins
03-22-2010, 10:46
[QUOTE=Mrs Baggins;991642]Personally, I don't even sneak food into movie theaters, so I'd have to be honest about it and use it once. My loss, I know.
[QUOTE]

Ms. Baggins, it's what you do when nobody's looking that counts.

I wouldn't sell my integrity for 20% off either.

You're a good man. :sun My friends and family make fun of me when I get so angry at them for doing something like sneaking food into a theater or trying to get discounts they should not be getting. I had a friend make train reservations for the two of us and she did it using the "senior" discount because it was cheaper - - even though we were both about 15 years too young to qualify at the time. I canceled the trip when she refused to change the tickets. I do not sit on fences. I pick a side and I stand by it.

double d
03-22-2010, 11:21
What a great time of year, NCAA basketball, springtime and REI's 20% discount and the 2009 dividend!!!! BTW: all apply now.

Egads
03-22-2010, 12:07
The website says "20% off of one regular priced item." That would seem to say you one shot on one thing and that's it. Now, you might be able to circumvent it by using the 20% for an on-line purchase, and then going to a store and using it again in person - - if they don't track that sort of thing. Personally, I don't even sneak food into movie theaters, so I'd have to be honest about it and use it once. My loss, I know.

In the meantime, I've filed a complaint with REI about the Timonium store's not applying dividends until today and about their shoddy inventory. Always helps to vent.

It's not a morals thing. You get to use the 20% off once only

DAJA
03-22-2010, 12:10
It's not a morals thing. You get to use the 20% off once only

Yes but people with morals love to point out how moral they are...:-?

tuswm
03-22-2010, 13:59
So my GF and I have about 100 bucks at REI. We dont need anything........What would you blow the money on?

Blissful
03-22-2010, 14:01
Nice thing is, many online stores run the 20% off or better at the same time. That's how I got my tent.

bigcranky
03-22-2010, 14:16
So my GF and I have about 100 bucks at REI. We dont need anything........What would you blow the money on?

Wait until this summer and ask REI to send you a check. Then spend it on a night in a nice B&B somewhere. Bring a bottle of wine and some chocolate.

DAJA
03-22-2010, 14:18

Socks! 3 pair each...:)

double d
03-22-2010, 14:26

It an REI doesn't have everything your looking for, why not just shop online and they will mail it the Timonium store? It sounds like your just complaining to complain, especially about a very good company.

double d
03-22-2010, 14:28

Thats a good position to be in, you can wait until they mail you the money or you can buy alot of little things (hey, we all need that extra roll of duct tape and AAA batteries!).

Summit
03-22-2010, 15:57
Yes but people with morals love to point out how moral they are...:-?Maybe occasionally you see that, but experience indicates immoral leaning people just hate those striving for the higher road! ;)

Summit
03-22-2010, 15:59
So my GF and I have about 100 bucks at REI. We dont need anything........What would you blow the money on?Everyone can use a second Jetboil! That ought to ruffle the jetboil hater's feathers! :)

Roland
03-22-2010, 16:01
Yes but people with morals love to point out how moral they are...:-?

Maybe occasionally you see that, but experience indicates immoral leaning people just hate those striving for the higher road! ;)

Nice retort. Well played.

trailangelbronco
03-22-2010, 16:19
You could buy me something. I would accomodate that

DAJA
03-22-2010, 16:36
Maybe occasionally you see that, but experience indicates immoral leaning people just hate those striving for the higher road! ;)

Hmmm, my experience indicates that those who claim the moral high ground generally do it out of some form of insecurity or guilt... But whatever, again in my experience, those who follow the moral path live a life that requires no explanation...

tuswm
03-22-2010, 18:42
Everyone can use a second Jetboil! That ought to ruffle the jetboil hater's feathers! :)

I was spacifically told no more stoves.

Roland
03-22-2010, 19:31
Hmmm, my experience indicates that those who claim the moral high ground generally do it out of some form of insecurity or guilt... But whatever, again in my experience, those who follow the moral path live a life that requires no explanation...

You certainly are entitled to your beliefs. I've seen your posts and I don't expect that I, or anyone else for that matter, will change your view on this or any other subject.

Suffice it to say that some people do the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do. You say they act this way as a result of some insecurity, but they would disagree.

Believe what you wish.

envirodiver
03-22-2010, 19:35

Can always use some new clothing and REI carries great clothes, shoes...or get those cool titanium pots you want.

envirodiver
03-22-2010, 19:36
Wait until this summer and ask REI to send you a check. Then spend it on a night in a nice B&B somewhere. Bring a bottle of wine and some chocolate.

That works too I believe July is when you can "cash out". Or the dividend is good for 2 years " I think" may want to check on that.

DAJA
03-22-2010, 19:49
You certainly are entitled to your beliefs. I've seen your posts and I don't expect that I, or anyone else for that matter, will change your view on this or any other subject.

Suffice it to say that some people do the right thing simply because it's the right thing to do. You say they act this way as a result of some insecurity, but they would disagree.

Believe what you wish.

No that's not what I said. I said, those who need to announce there moral acts, in my experience, do so out of insecurity or guilt. While those who truely live by their morals have no reason to announce it, as their actions speak for themselves.

And trust me, I would never for a second argue that I should be included in the later.

Roland
03-22-2010, 19:58
No that's not what I said. I said, those who need to announce there moral acts, in my experience, do so out of insecurity or guilt. While those who truely live by their morals have no reason to announce it, as their actions speak for themselves.
~

All this because Mrs. Baggins said the following:

~

You can judge her as you wish, DAJA, but I'm guessing Mrs. Baggins doesn't really care what you think.

Have a nice day.

daibutsu
03-22-2010, 20:07
Reputation is what you get when people are looking; character is what you are when no one is looking.

You can send me a new jetboil, I won't tell !!!!

DAJA
03-22-2010, 20:08
All this because Mrs. Baggins said the following:

You can judge her as you wish, DAJA, but I'm guessing Mrs. Baggins doesn't really care what you think.

Have a nice day.

Well she's clearly hoping someone cares that she doesn't sneak candy into movies... Or refuses to accept a seniors discount on train tickets, etc...

Roland
03-22-2010, 20:51
Well she's clearly hoping someone cares that she doesn't sneak candy into movies... Or refuses to accept a seniors discount on train tickets, etc...

I must admit that I don't understand how you came to that conclusion, based on Mrs. Baggins' post. But that's ok; judge her as you wish. But I doubt she'll lose any sleep over your opinion of her.

In the event you want the last word, here is your opportunity. I have nothing more to say on the matter.

All the best to you.

DAJA
03-22-2010, 21:03
why is summits comment on my comment justified? Further why is your comment on summits comment justified and even further another comment by you on my comment.... seems your looking for the last word, or is this you taking the moral high ground?

Hooch
03-22-2010, 21:24
why is summits comment on my comment justified? Further why is your comment on summits comment justified and even further another comment by you on my comment.... seems your looking for the last word, or is this you taking the moral high ground?
You silly trolls and your arguements. :rolleyes:

Summit
03-22-2010, 21:33
why is summits comment on my comment justified? Further why is your comment on summits comment justified and even further another comment by you on my comment.... seems your looking for the last word, or is this you taking the moral high ground?Your defending yourself and not just letting it go validates my assertion. I don't know you and I don't know whether or not you have a good moral fiber or not. But people who get upset at statements regarding "the right thing to do" generally have some character issues, based on my experience.

envirodiver
03-22-2010, 21:40

I must admit that I don't understand how you came to that conclusion, based on Mrs. Baggins' post. But that's ok; judge her as you wish. But I doubt she'll lose any sleep over your opinion of her.

In the event you want the last word, here is your opportunity. I have nothing more to say on the matter.

All the best to you.

Roland, I'm so thankful that we have you here to mediate any disagreements with your biased viewpoint.

Peace be with you

Alligator
03-22-2010, 21:43
Back to the REI sale. I picked up a new saw blade, one of those kid trailer bikes and a new bike rack. All that for $5.91:D.

Hooch
03-22-2010, 21:48
Back to the REI sale. I picked up a new saw blade, one of those kid trailer bikes and a new bike rack. All that for $5.91:D.
Aren't you a little big for the trailer? :banana

Alligator
03-22-2010, 21:55
Aren't you a little big for the trailer? :bananaNot that kind of trailer. It's one of these but I've got short legs.

http://media.rei.com/media/yy/99021a2a-b5f0-4f34-94b9-f299f531c8b5.jpg (http://www.rei.com/features/zoom.html?img440=/media/yy/99021a2a-b5f0-4f34-94b9-f299f531c8b5%26style=774425%26sku=7744250015&imageServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&productInfoServiceHost=http://www.rei.com/&TB_iframe=true&height=513&width=700)

Marta
03-22-2010, 22:25
I just used up most of our dividend, and the 20% off coupon, on a three-person, four-season tent for this summer's hike. Destination: Lapland. I'm fired up!

For more mundane use, it will also make a car camping tent way more spacious than anything we have right now.

double d
03-22-2010, 23:21
I just used up most of our dividend, and the 20% off coupon, on a three-person, four-season tent for this summer's hike. Destination: Lapland. I'm fired up!

For more mundane use, it will also make a car camping tent way more spacious than anything we have right now.

Ha, good call Marta, sounds like a great buy!