PDA

View Full Version : Why would you quit the trail?

Class2010AT
03-13-2010, 02:25
Why in your mind is a good resaon to stop hiking??

For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win i'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myself

jrwiesz
03-13-2010, 02:36

If you were to die. That might be a good reason.

Just sayin'. :sun

Mountain Wildman
03-13-2010, 02:47

For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win I'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myself

Yeah but is that the only reason for being on the A.T.
For me it is the challenge of doing something so huge, meeting new people, beautiful scenery, fresh air, no traffic, the list goes on and on.
If I defeat a large mammal, I thank God and treat myself to a huge Banana Split at the next town and continue on to Katahdin, Until I touch the sign on Katahdin, I am not done.
Severe injury or life threatening illness is the only reason I will leave the trail.
But, I'll return to complete my hike A.S.A.P.

thelowend
03-13-2010, 03:34
well, the sheer magnitude a task as big as hiking 2,179 might be one opposing force.. that's usually the thing people are there to conquer in the first place.

thelowend
03-13-2010, 03:36
oh ok.. i understand the question better now. no, if i won a battle against a large mammal, i would hike the trail (and probably with the most bada$$ trail name ever, if anybody believed/saw the occurrence)

thelowend
03-13-2010, 03:37
the rest of the trail that is. ugh, long day. ill log off now.

kayak karl
03-13-2010, 05:10
when it stops being fun!

Bronk
03-13-2010, 07:42
I think the first thing you have to consider is why you are hiking the trail to begin with. You might not figure that out until you get out there.

I quit about 850 miles into it. I was just ready. You'll know when/if you're ready.

fiddlehead
03-13-2010, 07:52
Looks like the OP is looking for reasons to quit before he even starts!
Go figure.

Rockhound
03-13-2010, 08:44
I would quit the trail if they began using trail moderators to track everyone's progress, make sure everyone is hiking correctly, and keep campfire conversations relegated to gear, miles and maps only.

Deadeye
03-13-2010, 08:49
For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win i'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myself

I'm not sure earning the trail name "Chipmunk Killer" would be a good reason to stop.

Hawkwind61
03-13-2010, 08:54
when it stops being fun!
Good reason.

Injury or illness would be a biggie for me.

My cousin was on the Long Trail with her husband when she sustained a very painful sprain. She also realized that the two of them hiked at different 'speeds' when distance hiking. It was hard enough for her to keep up with him even though they both wanted to be there. The injury made it tougher.

They didn't finish, but they had a great time even though my cousin was injured. They do a lot of day hiking together, travel together, and love primitive back country camping. But they discovered that hiking for more than a day together didn't work well.

They are very devoted to each other so they chose not to distance hike together since there are plenty of other options for them.

Injury, illness, finding that you have fulfilled enough of your dream to be comfortable not going the whole distance. Getting word that a family member is ill. Loss of a family member. Not planning well. Not having enough money. Not having the right equipment, etc. I can think of many reason why someone would choose to not finish.

I will not say quit as I suspect most people continue to be avid hikers and backpackers. But not everyone is going to find that there is something inside them that absolutely must finish the trail.

Toolshed
03-13-2010, 08:55
Type A Personality here. I stop when my mental state tells me I have too many other recreation goals/projects/work and family commitments I should be enjoying other than just wandering around in the woods.

Usually after a couple of weeks I snap out of the need to hike and move on to other things (bicycling, fishing, climbing peaks....)

That's why I am a section hiker. :D

Gaiter
03-13-2010, 09:06
injury, illness, time, money, just not feeling it..... everyone has their reasons for getting off, no biggie, trail will still be there

Red River Falls
03-13-2010, 09:17
I would consider quitting when it became clear there was not enough pleasure to counter the discomfort of the experience. If I was to purely guess, I would say that might become an issue in northern Va. or PA. New England is appealing to me and the southern part of the trail hold interest for me. Of course, that is with me sitting here thinking about it, not being out there.

Mrs Baggins
03-13-2010, 10:19
We stopped because of my injury/pain but 6 days into it my husband turned around one day and said "This is not fun anymore." We had spent 4 years planning that hike and building it up in our minds. As it turned out we came home to several issues that we had to be there to settle, things we could not have taken care of from the trail, so it was for the best. And we will finish someday - just not in a 6 month long stretch. We do short sections as time allows and enjoy every moment of that.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2010, 10:30
when it stops being fun!

yup. i quit 2 years in a row in gorham, n.h. for that reason

Rockhound
03-13-2010, 10:41
yup. i quit 2 years in a row in gorham, n.h. for that reason
How far is Gorham from Hanover again?

10-K
03-13-2010, 10:42
Missing family - wife, kids, etc.

right side
03-13-2010, 10:48
wow,
when your out there you'll think of a million reasons to quit. If you talk to most thru hikers that have completed it , they'll say they thought "is this really worth it"? at least once. When I did it I wanted to complete it, I kept that in mind, the thoughts I had before I went out.
No it is not fun the whole time, but when you touch that sign and you no you didnt give up I can not explain the feeling!

I always have to voices in me, one wants me to fail and one wants me to suceed, that one that wants me to fail is very smart, but I have god to fight that voice.

If you set out to hike the at, then finish it, It will be worth it!

Grampie
03-13-2010, 10:55
Well class of 2010 there are 100s of reasons to quit the trail. When you decide to quit, just pick one. The folks back home that you are telling your reason for quiting won't know much about an AT hike so they will believe what ever reason you come up with.
Be prepaired..My thru-hike was the hardest job I ever had.;)

Spokes
03-13-2010, 12:38
Jury Summons?

Spokes
03-13-2010, 12:39
Court date for your last felony?

Walkie Talkie
03-13-2010, 12:53
Hooker stole your wallet in Tenn.

superman
03-13-2010, 13:08
In 2000 there was this great hiker. He had those long hiking legs, knew all about the trail, flora and fauna. He's section hiked most of the AT. There was no reason for him not to succeed with his thru hike. All he talked about was what his family was doing at home at any given time. Finally I said to him..."Ya know you don't have to be here. You can just go where you want to be." So he packed up and went home. No foul in that. No one is being forced to hike. If you don't want to be there you where you want to be. It's better than making your body write an excuse for you.

Mountain Wildman
03-13-2010, 13:10
wow,
when your out there you'll think of a million reasons to quit. If you talk to most thru hikers that have completed it , they'll say they thought "is this really worth it"? at least once. When I did it I wanted to complete it, I kept that in mind, the thoughts I had before I went out.
No it is not fun the whole time, but when you touch that sign and you no you didnt give up I can not explain the feeling!

I always have to voices in me, one wants me to fail and one wants me to suceed, that one that wants me to fail is very smart, but I have god to fight that voice.

If you set out to hike the at, then finish it, It will be worth it!

I concur, AMEN!!!

Blissful
03-13-2010, 13:46
injury, illness, time, money, just not feeling it..... everyone has their reasons for getting off, no biggie, trail will still be there

That just about sums it all up....

Walkie Talkie
03-13-2010, 19:48
Hooker stole your wallet 2 years in a row in Gorham NH

JustaTouron
03-13-2010, 19:54
when it stops being fun!

I figure that is a pretty good reason, as the only reason to do it is 'cause it is fun.

Tractor
03-13-2010, 21:24
A massive stroke would probably do it for me. Just visited an old friend who had one and God bless him he has quit just about everything except watching TV. Haven't thought it all through just yet but thinking about getting him out for a short hike even though he never was into that before. Heck, I need to try anyways..........

DapperD
03-13-2010, 22:38

For me if I have hand to hand combat with a large mammal and win i'll stop hiking because I will think I proved myselfFor me it would be my family urgently needing my help for some very serious/important reason. This I believe would be at the top of my short list. Also I think if I became seriously sick or injured to the point where it would be very detrimental to my health to force myself to continue. I think though if the weather was constantly and consistently bad this too would/could make it into my list of reasons. A thru-hike is already going to be hard and demanding enough. I would have to at least be rewarded with plenty of warm, sunny, and dry weather!:sun

Mad Hatter 08
03-13-2010, 22:57
When I decided to get off the trail in 2008, my main thoughts were about being with my grandmother who had recently been diagnosed with cancer, although while at neel's gap I found out my boots were actually too small in the toe box so I probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyhow.