PDA

View Full Version : Off trail -- Trail Magic

Loneoak
03-13-2010, 12:41
Just wanted to pass on what happened to me this morning.

I purchased a sleeping bag at a good price last week off of Craigslist. I couldn't believe the email I had when I got on-line today.
When arriving to pick the bag up, we met a really nice couple that used to hike and camp but have not done so in some time.
My son and I told them we hoped to do a Thru Hike in 2011 and were just now trying to put together some gear. ( We had nothing to speak of ).

If you read my other post, I have been asking a lot of newbie questions.

Well, I think the included email I received from them this morning, is proof that trail magic does exist on and off the trail :)

=============================

Jim,
Lacey and I really enjoyed meeting you and your son the other day. Even though we haven’t gone packing in a long time you got us excited for you on your upcoming trips!! We have gone through our backpacking stuff and want you to put it to good use- on us!!! I’ve set it out on the front porch since it is raining this weekend. My daughter has a tennis tournament all weekend so it may be hard to catch up with us. Feel free to come by and pick it up anytime. There are two packs, one for you and one for your son. The extras are in my pack which is the blue one. I can’t find my stove??? But, if I do I’ll get it to you as well. The one side pocket zipper is off but can probably be fixed by a tailor. Both are fully adjustable so spend some time fitting them to each user.

The only requirement is to keep share your adventures; please remind me of that blog website so we can find you. Anything you don’t want or already have, pass along to someone else down the road.

Best of Luck,
Eric and Lacey

sidebackside
03-13-2010, 12:57
That's really cool.

Mountain Wildman
03-13-2010, 13:04
That's awesome!!
Most people I talk to about my Thru are either indifferent or doubtful.
But I suppose that is just typical human nature.
Your e-mail is proof that there are still good people out there.
Good luck on your hikes.

Blissful
03-13-2010, 13:37
Good story. That's the great thing about hiking - not the destination but the people you meet.

EricS96521
03-13-2010, 16:20
After talking with some hikers, I have come to realize they are the nicest people of anyone on the planet.

mweinstone
03-13-2010, 16:24
the force is strong with these.were they set out in the rain cause the force was strong with the packs as well?lol.

drdewrag
03-13-2010, 19:49
Now THAT'S a great story!

Loneoak
03-13-2010, 23:25
Went back this evening and was surprised with two backpacks 1 REI and 1 Northface, a Eureka 2 man ten, Sweetwater Microfilter, MSR cookset, thermarest pad, a book on the A T and cookbook (may come in handy...lol) numerous water bottles and some more odds and ends.
Looks l like I am about ready to try an over nighter somewhere soon :)

I can't say enough about this total stranger who so unselfishly gave these things to my son and I.

Mags
03-13-2010, 23:35
That's great!

One thing I found about my own walks is that my list of THANK YOU cards is very big!

K2
03-14-2010, 02:09
I'm so happy for you!

corialice81 was selling stuff on Whiteblaze recently. She lives just north of me, so we got to meet. She gave me a phenomenal deal on some stuff, as well as a ton of encouragement, and an offer to team up on some shake down hikes. Great lady.

~K2~

bus
03-14-2010, 09:10
very, very cool.

Rocket Jones
03-14-2010, 09:21
Congrats on your good fortune! They truly are special people.

I agree with Mags, an old fashioned Thank You card now is required.

They're gonna love getting photos and journal notes from the trail, especially from your son.

Hawkwind61
03-14-2010, 10:22
That is absolutely wonderful! Enjoy! :sun

Tuts
03-14-2010, 22:49
This is why I love everything to do with real trail people. I have never seen such kindness and trust before in my life. It warmed the coldest parts of my heart to see the caring of others out there. A true community. Great story.

Bear Cables
03-15-2010, 10:05
Just a testimony that those who love the trail want others to love it too! Just remember when you get the chance to "pay it forward" :sun

neighbor dave
03-15-2010, 10:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnRqYMTpXHc