PDA

View Full Version : Advice re: shelter etiquette

4shot
03-13-2010, 13:36
I am heading to Springer soon and have never overnighted in a shelter. What is/ are "rules" for staying there if I chose to do so? I figure that the issue of tent vs. shelter will take care of itself for me over time so I am only seeking advice on shelter etiquette. Thanks for any responses.

Blissful
03-13-2010, 13:41
Check under the shelters forum for threads on this topic. You'll see more than you want to know.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2010, 13:42
I am heading to Springer soon and have never overnighted in a shelter. What is/ are "rules" for staying there if I chose to do so? I figure that the issue of tent vs. shelter will take care of itself for me over time so I am only seeking advice on shelter etiquette. Thanks for any responses.

first come, first served

Appalachian Tater
03-13-2010, 13:52
1. First come, first served.
2. First one there sweeps out the shelter if there is a broom and it's dirty.
3. Don't take up more than your share of space. Share hooks and hangers.
4. Don't step on other people or their stuff.
5. Don't stay up late and don't shine your light in people's faces after dark.
6. If you wake up before everyone else at least pretend like you're trying not to make a lot of noise.
7. Don't play musical instruments, use loudspeakers or talk on your cell phone in the shelter.
8. Don't cook in the shelter.
9. Bring ear plugs.
10. Large groups aren't supposed to use shelters.
11. Be prepared with your own tent or other shelter if the shelter is full.
12. Clean up after yourself. Don't leave garbage in the fire pit.
13. No dogs in the shelter unless everyone is okay with it.
14. Don't smoke in the shelter. Don't even ask other people if its okay unless you already know them and know they don't care.
15. If someone announces they're changing clothes, look the other way.

Basic manners and thoughtfulness go a long way to making everyone's stay pleasant. After staying in a shelter with rude people and polite people you'll notice what a huge difference it makes when everyone is thoughtful.

4shot
03-13-2010, 13:52
Check under the shelters forum for threads on this topic. You'll see more than you want to know.

I was unaware that there was a shelters forum but now I do. I'll check it out.:o

sasquatch2014
03-13-2010, 14:54
The last one up should turn off the light and lock the door.

10-K
03-13-2010, 15:17
The last one up should turn off the light and lock the door.

Don't forget to turn off the TV...

Slo-go'en
03-13-2010, 15:23
If you snore really loud and consitantly all night - use a tent far removed from the shelter!

Don't leave open containers of water in the shelter - like a pot full of water - which can be tripped over and spilled.

Don't walk around the shelter with muddy shoes on.

Don't hang wet clothes where they can drip on people or the floor. Actually, I don't see the point of hanging wet cloths other than maybe your rain jacket, they never dry that way.

trailangelbronco
03-13-2010, 15:24
Look behind you before farting

SGT Rock
03-13-2010, 15:35
If people and all the stuff they do bother you. Don't stay at them.

Going to them and then complaining about all the stuff that comes with shelters is just sniveling.

Panzer1
03-13-2010, 15:37
Don't spread your gear all over the place. Keep it mostly all together in one spot.

Panzer

sidebackside
03-13-2010, 15:55
If people and all the stuff they do bother you. Don't stay at them.

Going to them and then complaining about all the stuff that comes with shelters is just sniveling.

I agree with you.

Lone Wolf
03-13-2010, 15:57
there's nothin' wrong with cookin' in a shelter

SGT Rock
03-13-2010, 15:58

I see people doing this all the time. Doesn't bother me. Shelters often have places specifically for this. It's one of the few things I like to do at shelters.

Nearly Normal
03-13-2010, 18:24
I see you're 51, most out there aint.
Guns, religion, dogs and politics can be touchy subjects.

scottdennis
03-13-2010, 19:06
Look behind you before farting

Sadly, that was the first thing that came to my mind too. :D

toenail
03-13-2010, 19:23
Don't pick between your toes, or put your stinking feet in someone else's face.

Old Hillwalker
03-13-2010, 21:42
You may pick your feet only if you're from Poughkeepsie. Don't pick your nose!

JustaTouron
03-13-2010, 21:46
Don't pick your nose!

You can pick your nose.
And you can pick your friends.
But don't pick your friend's nose.

Tinker
03-13-2010, 22:54
If you set up a clothesline (or a mouse baffle), it (they) immediately become public property.
If you snore, be kind and sleep outside.

Manwich
03-14-2010, 00:30
There is only 1 rule. 1st come 1st served to capacity.

Anything else just shows how much you/others are willing to cater to others and is only a gentlemanly reflection.

That said, I have my one personal rule:

If I do end up staying at a shelter and it's to capacity, if someone who has come from a significantly longer distance than myself arrives, as the youngster with his own shelter... I'll cede my position to them. Has happened 50% of the time I decided to stay at a shelter.

Spokes
03-14-2010, 01:08
Talking about snoring in shelters is futile.

fiddlehead
03-14-2010, 03:22
The only rule I remember: There's always room for one more in a storm.

Lyle
03-14-2010, 06:05
If you snore, be kind and sleep outside.

If snoring bothers you, be realistic and sleep outside.

Egads
03-14-2010, 09:04
Sleeping near shelters sux because some inconsiderates want to talk into the late night and others wake up before the crack of dawn. Both groups cut into sleep.

scottdennis
03-14-2010, 11:21
There is only 1 rule. 1st come 1st served to capacity.

Anything else just shows how much you/others are willing to cater to others and is only a gentlemanly reflection.

That said, I have my one personal rule:

If I do end up staying at a shelter and it's to capacity, if someone who has come from a significantly longer distance than myself arrives, as the youngster with his own shelter... I'll cede my position to them. Has happened 50% of the time I decided to stay at a shelter.

Good rule. I believe one who's sectional hiking (me) should definitely give it up (the shelter space that is) to the ones thru hiking. Unless you're a really hot babe who wants to give it up to a thru hiker, which in that case "yes I am thru hiking!" :D

Lone Wolf
03-14-2010, 11:25
Good rule. I believe one who's sectional hiking (me) should definitely give it up (the shelter space that is) to the ones thru hiking.

why? they're no more deserving than an overnighter

Cookerhiker
03-14-2010, 11:32
If you snore really loud and consitantly all night - use a tent far removed from the shelter!.....

....If you snore, be kind and sleep outside.

Talking about snoring in shelters is futile.

Some contradictory perspectives...

Re snoring (of which I'm quite guilty so I'm told), there are 2 ways to divide the world of hikers:

1. Those who snore or
2. Those who don't

and..

1. Those who are bothered by and can't sleep because of snoring, or
2. Those who can sleep through snoring w/o problems.

In a perfect world where everyone is honest with their answers and considerate, both questions would be ferreted. IMO, a loud snorer should be willing and prepared to tent. OTOH, a loud snorer shouldn't have to move out if his non-snoring sheltermates are still able to sleep through snoring which may very well be the case if they're thruhikers putting in big miles; they can sleep through anything!

If a shelter has 8 hikers - 3 snorers, 4 non-snorers who can sleep despite others snoring and 1 very light sleeper - who should tent outside? And re. the first-come-first-served "rule" - oy! If I'm in a shelter alone and then someone shows up at 8:30 in burgeoning darkness and announces (s)he is a very light sleeper, I'm the one who should move? If the situation is reversed, I'd be prepared to tent but I'd certainly broach the subject and stress wanting an honest answer; don't fear coming across as impolite.

Like so many things on the Trail, folks just need to work things out with a maximum of reason and a minimum of selfishness.

scottdennis
03-14-2010, 11:50
why? they're no more deserving than an overnighter

I believe an overnighter can more easily carry a few extra pounds for a nice comfortable shelter since they're not carrying the load quite as far.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but personally I'm willing to give up my space to someone who's gone through the effort to make a thru hike. I know Monday night (or whenever I get back), I'll be back in my bed.

I didn't say that they're more deserving, but I'll personally give up the space. Doesn't make me better or you worse or anything. It's just what I believe.

Lyle
03-14-2010, 12:00
I believe an overnighter can more easily carry a few extra pounds for a nice comfortable shelter since they're not carrying the load quite as far.

Well, using this logic, the Thru hiker will have an easier day, since they have their trail legs and will be in better shape. One of the difficulties with section hiking is that you are always starting over.

Shelters are first come first served. No one should feel obligated to give up space to a "Thru Hiker". Their heads get big enough as it is. :D

scottdennis
03-14-2010, 12:03
Their heads get big enough as it is. :D

There you go! Who said ALL my reasons for wanting to "give them their space" were pure. :cool:

Lone Wolf
03-14-2010, 12:03
Shelters are first come first served. No one should feel obligated to give up space to a "Thru Hiker". Their heads get big enough as it is. :D

especially in georgia when there's so many thru-hike wannabes.. they qualify as a large group which aren't suppose to use shelters

Mags
03-14-2010, 12:12
All these "rules" is why it is far easier to just tent it. No muss, no fuss.

When I first started backpacking, it never occurred to me to sleep in a lean-to.

I will sleep in a shelter if I pretty much have it to myself or with one or two others..esp on a rainy night. :)

Overall, though, it is far easier and more comfortable to just pitch a tent..even when it is rainy and cold out. Shelters tend to get crowded on a rainy night making it hard to sleep (at least for me).

I recognize the social aspects of the shelter areas. I'd often cook dinner, talk and then tent out on my own.

Not trying to start an anti-shelter rant...just saying why it can often be easier to not to use one. YMMV.

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2010, 12:45

Which is EXACTLY what 4shot was asking about when he started this thread! :cool:

JustaTouron
03-14-2010, 12:58

I don't buy that.

A thru hiker needs to carry shelter just like the overnighter and is more likely to have invested in a good quality shelter than someone who only camps occasionally. Also the thru hiker is more likely to know how to pitch their shelter in such a way that rain doesn't run thru it because of the more experience than a newbie overnigher who will likely set it up their walmart tent in the middle of what will become a river or puddle.

The one reason why an overnighter might be better situated to tent is they are gonna be heading home afterwards and can dry out the tent in the garage, while the thru hiker will be stuck with a wet tent.

Cookerhiker
03-14-2010, 13:05

I'm not saying you're wrong, but personally I'm willing to give up my space to someone who's gone through the effort to make a thru hike. I know Monday night (or whenever I get back), I'll be back in my bed.

I didn't say that they're more deserving, but I'll personally give up the space. Doesn't make me better or you worse or anything. It's just what I believe.

Even if I agreed with your characterization and position regarding "overnighters," it still doesn't cover all "section hikers", some of whom hike 2 weeks, a month, 2 months. Why should these folks cede their space to thruhikers?

Jack Tarlin
03-14-2010, 15:01
A few quick thoughts:

1. It's totally uncool to "hold" spaces for your friends who aren't there yet.
2. In most circumstances, it's not cool to erect a tent in a shelter with other people in it.
3. No one is entitled to a shelter spot based on what equipment they are carrying or not
carrying, i.e. your decision to leave your tent at home does NOT entitle you to a
shelter spot.
4. Most folks don't want to see you naked. Use consideration and common sense when
changing clothes.
5. Most folks don't approve of public drug use in trail shelters, nor should you smoke
tobacco products there, either
6. It is perfectly OK to gently wake up a loud snorer, but people really sensitive to this
kind of thing should probably avoid staying in shelters
7. Private/personal hygienic stuff, even of a medical nature, should probably be performed
behind a tree, i.e nobody wants to see your daily anti-chafing ritual from a distance
of three feet.
8. Avoid leaving food out when you go to sleep; it attracts all sorts of vermin
9. When hanging a drying line or hanging up wet stuff, be sure your stuff isn't dripping
on other folk's stuff or in their face
10. When shifting or moving someone else's stuff, it's always nice to ask them first

SGT Rock
03-14-2010, 15:30

I think the exact opposite. Anyone planning to stay on the trail for 6 months should have their own shelter at all times. They should be competent in its employment. And if they hike long after others have quit hiking and made their own beds, then that hiker should also not make anyone feel obligated to unseat themselves for someone that could have stopped somewhere else earlier in the day.

scottdennis
03-14-2010, 16:32
Yeah! I guess you guys are right (BLEEEEEEEEP) those (BLEEPEDY BLEEP BLEEP) thru hikers! They've been on the trail long enough and should be use to it.

I'm keeping my butt right here in this shelter and the HELL with you guys taking on one of the toughest things you'll ever do! First come first serve so kiss my hind parts.

SECTIONAL HIKERS RULE!! WHOOOO HOOO!

You nasty smelly thru hikers! I have zero respect for you and even though I'll be in my nice soft cozy bed a couple days after sitting on my lazy boy sipping my beer I don't give a crap! If you wanted the shelter you should have hiked your hind parts here quicker.

scottdennis
03-14-2010, 16:36
BTW, I'm not knocking any thru hiker's competence of setting up and deploying a kick butt light weight shelter system.

To me, it's a matter of respect to someone who trying to conquer a fair difficult task. That's all I'm saying.

JustaTouron
03-14-2010, 16:44
BTW, I'm not knocking any thru hiker's competence of setting up and deploying a kick butt light weight shelter system.

To me, it's a matter of respect to someone who trying to conquer a fair difficult task. That's all I'm saying.

I seems to me it would be a lot harder to hike the trail in one week segments with each trip you needing to get back into hiking shape than to do it in one shot.

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2010, 16:47
scottdennis, if anything I would expect a thru-hiker to be prepared enough to yield a place to an unprepared section hiker who showed up hypothermic with no dry clothes and a K-mart tent in driving rain. Barring a true medical emergency situation like that or something out of their control like their whole pack fell over the cliff into the river and went downstream, if they show up and there's no room in the shelter and they don't want to sleep in their tent or under the shelter or in the outhouse or on the ground next to the fire they can just keep right on walking until they get to the next place to hitch a ride into town, doesn't matter who they are. It truly is first come, first served except for the few instances where the shelters require a reservation like in the Smokies.

If anyone showed up looking all happy and asked I would just say, sorry, I was here first. If they then asked to borrow a tent I would probably ask them what happened to their shelter and if they didn't have one out of choice I wouldn't lend them one. Some people are too stupid or too rude and need to learn lessons the hard way.

scottdennis
03-14-2010, 16:50
I seems to me it would be a lot harder to hike the trail in one week segments with each trip you needing to get back into hiking shape than to do it in one shot.

Absolutely! But I would be willing to be that many of you sectional hikers are like me and don't just hike the AT. I'm fortunate to have a lot of trails within an hours drive, but the AT is a little further for me. So I spend more time doing "local" hikes.

Plus I bet quite a few people do a little more cross training than I would care to, but know I should.

But I'm lucky to have hills. People from Florida wouldn't be able to get a lot of hill work in in between sessions, so I'll certainly concede your point.

Bobbo
03-14-2010, 17:14
There are no rules
Try enforcing any of these rules that people have listed - it will only create problems.
There are ignorant people everywhere.

If you don't like snoring - don't stay in a shelter
If you are a light sleeper - don't stay in a shelter
First come first serve regrdless if you are out for a day or a month
Thru hikers in Georgia are not a group - mostly everyone is operating independently and doesn't even no one another.

If you stay in a shelter - treat others the way you would like to be treated

easiest solution to all of this is to stay in a tent - much more comfortable, quiet and private.

Shelters should be used in emergencies and that's about it.

Cookerhiker
03-14-2010, 17:32
There are no rules....

Shelters should be used in emergencies and that's about it.

But that's not a rule;)

JustaTouron
03-14-2010, 18:01
scottdennis, if anything I would expect a thru-hiker to be prepared enough to yield a place to an unprepared section hiker who showed up hypothermic with no dry clothes and a K-mart tent in driving rain. Barring a true medical emergency situation like that or something out of their control like their whole pack fell over the cliff into the river and went downstream,.

I would hope any hiker would come to the aid of someone who showed up hypothermic regardless of what type of hikers the two parties are.

stranger
03-14-2010, 18:37
In 2008 I ran across two seperate thru-hikers who didn't carry a shelter by choice, saying they would hike to the next one if the shelter was full...sure buddy.

What would happen in practice was when they would arrive at a full shelter, or hostel, they would announce that they had no personal shelter and kinda stand there looking frazzled. Inevitably people would make room for them, and then someone would eventually "choose" to set up their tent because the shelter was too full.

harryfred
03-14-2010, 20:11
I think Appalachian Tater and Jack gave a very good list, an LW is always good at stating the obvious. I just want to chime in here with a couple of thoughts.

I always carry a tent which I can and will put up. I stay at shelters because I do like to socialize. I stay in shelters because it is convenient. I usually don't unpack my gear and set up till almost dark. that way if the situation warrants I can just pick up and move on. Once I set up I'm staying.

I have a lot of years sleeping in communal situations and it is my observation that very, very, few people sleep silently. They either snore, mumble, thrash around etc. If you are truly that light a sleeper YOU pitch a tent. The rest of us will just laugh at each other in the morning. I have met a few hikers that complain about snorers and I know they them selves snore.

If you are like me and know you are going to get up in the middle of the night to pee; go away from the shelter and the traffic areas, I usually pick my spot before I turn in. I do not have a problem with peeing on the hot embers of a fire.

My pet peeve PUT YOUR FIRE OUT before you leave camp that means cold stirred ashes.

Situations dictate the response. If it is windy and rainy we will all be cooking in the shelter. If you have a white gas stove I will keep a close eye on you. Extreme cold and wind and there is room of course put you tent up in the shelter. every bit of warmth helps. Late arrival and you look beat up I will move or help you set up your tent. I will and have even cooked out of my own food bag for some. Really bad weather and you are a late arrival we will find room even if that means I sleep sitting up.

We take care of each other out there. I don't suffer a$$holes; but some times a hiker just has a bad day and I can help. To quote Red Green "We all in this together and I'm Pullinforya".

-OvertheEdge- :)

Bobbo
03-14-2010, 21:44
But that's not a rule;)

Ha.....should have prefaced the whole thing with "In my opinion" because that is all it is. My own guidelines for myself you might say.
When I thru hiked the AT, there were times I stayed in shelters, but I learned that I pretty much hated the experience. I never get a good night sleep. The closest I've come to staying in a shelter in the last 6 years was sleeping on the floor of the Lake of The Clouds Hut. Did a work for stay. It was free and dry - other then that it sucked. Mice running around, people staying up wicked late and of course, people getting up really early. Didn't say a word to anybody or present with an attitude because - you get what you pay for!

The thing is - there are tons of people that absolutely love staying in shelters and wouldn't have it any other way. That's great for them.

Tinker
03-14-2010, 21:48

You apparantly don't know what motivates me.
I snore, and, I usually sleep outside. I've slept in shelters twice in the past five years.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2010, 21:59
1. First come, first served.
2. First one there sweeps out the shelter if there is a broom and it's dirty.
3. Don't take up more than your share of space. Share hooks and hangers.
4. Don't step on other people or their stuff.
5. Don't stay up late and don't shine your light in people's faces after dark.
6. If you wake up before everyone else at least pretend like you're trying not to make a lot of noise.
7. Don't play musical instruments, use loudspeakers or talk on your cell phone in the shelter.
8. Don't cook in the shelter.
9. Bring ear plugs.
10. Large groups aren't supposed to use shelters.
11. Be prepared with your own tent or other shelter if the shelter is full.
12. Clean up after yourself. Don't leave garbage in the fire pit.
13. No dogs in the shelter unless everyone is okay with it.
14. Don't smoke in the shelter. Don't even ask other people if its okay unless you already know them and know they don't care.
15. If someone announces they're changing clothes, look the other way.

Basic manners and thoughtfulness go a long way to making everyone's stay pleasant. After staying in a shelter with rude people and polite people you'll notice what a huge difference it makes when everyone is thoughtful.

Wow, OK you have really got this down. Are you the Emily Post of shelters? perhaps you should post a book and I mean that sincerely...;)

Bulldawg
03-14-2010, 22:01
I see people doing this all the time. Doesn't bother me. Shelters often have places specifically for this. It's one of the few things I like to do at shelters.

Exactly what I do.

Well, using this logic, the Thru hiker will have an easier day, since they have their trail legs and will be in better shape. One of the difficulties with section hiking is that you are always starting over.

Well said.

All these "rules" is why it is far easier to just tent it. No muss, no fuss.

When I first started backpacking, it never occurred to me to sleep in a lean-to.

I will sleep in a shelter if I pretty much have it to myself or with one or two others..esp on a rainy night. :)

Overall, though, it is far easier and more comfortable to just pitch a tent..even when it is rainy and cold out. Shelters tend to get crowded on a rainy night making it hard to sleep (at least for me).

I recognize the social aspects of the shelter areas. I'd often cook dinner, talk and then tent out on my own.

Not trying to start an anti-shelter rant...just saying why it can often be easier to not to use one. YMMV.

Exactly, its a social aspect for me, only.

A few quick thoughts:

1. It's totally uncool to "hold" spaces for your friends who aren't there yet.

Really Jack, I heard a story from a hiker in 2009 who you allegedly berated in Georgia for having set his tent up "in your spot". Maybe he was lying?

TD55
03-14-2010, 22:20
Other than first come first serve, I always thought that almost all shelters were rule free zones. However, I admit to being etiquette challenged.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2010, 22:25
Other than first come first serve, I always thought that almost all shelters were rule free zones. However, I admit to being etiquette challenged.

Yea so am I, the poster boy of etiquette challenged.

just saying not one of my strengths,

maddawgg
03-14-2010, 23:12
"Holy sardine can, Batman!" If shelters are as crowded as most of the posts here indicate, I would rather sleep under a rock! I am claustrophobic to the point of a mummy sleeping bag being out of the question. In 2011 you can find me anywhere but a shelter.

Tinker
03-14-2010, 23:15
"Holy sardine can, Batman!" If shelters are as crowded as most of the posts here indicate, I would rather sleep under a rock! I am claustrophobic to the point of a mummy sleeping bag being out of the question. In 2011 you can find me anywhere but a shelter.
There you go!

white_russian
03-14-2010, 23:34
internets != real life

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2010, 23:45
I reread the thread wow Harryfred you rock!

Panzer1
03-15-2010, 02:21
Given that there are no rules in shelters, its amazing that the system seems to work just fine most of the time.

Panzer

sasquatch2014
03-15-2010, 07:03
I would hope any hiker would come to the aid of someone who showed up hypothermic regardless of what type of hikers the two parties are.

I would help so that they get better and have their wits about them. when you are truly that hypothermic you won't remember a lot of things and I want you to remember the beat down and mocking you should get for not being able to keep an eye on one of the most basic of safety issues for back country travel.

And you better have your own shelter because after the public humiliation you are banished from the shelter for the night. No one shall speak your name you are officially shunned.

Jack Tarlin
03-15-2010, 09:06
Bulldawg:

Re. your story:

Anyone who has hiked with me knows that I avoid shelters at all costs and very seldom stay in them. But if I were to arrive at a shelter on a rainy miserable night, and there was a tent up in it that was depriving people of needed space, well yeah, I'd probably say something about it.

And so, I suspect, would you. :D

JustaTouron
03-15-2010, 09:49
I would help so that they get better and have their wits about them. when you are truly that hypothermic you won't remember a lot of things and I want you to remember the beat down and mocking you should get for not being able to keep an eye on one of the most basic of safety issues for back country travel.

And you better have your own shelter because after the public humiliation you are banished from the shelter for the night. No one shall speak your name you are officially shunned.

I have only came upon one hiker who was in a hypothermic state. You are right she quite delirious. She didn't remember much of what happened. But we didn't mock her or try to humiliate her. We just did our best to save her life.

She had been hiking alone, tripped while crossing a stream, got herself completely soaked and busted up her knee. She had managed to get herself out of the stream, but not much further. We warmed her up and dried her off and then when she was warm enough and strong enough to travel I helped off the trail and then I drove her to the hospital. We were the only other ones on the trail that day. Had we not came along she would have died that night.

The closest thing I have ever done to mocking her is to tell her afterwards that it is dangerous to hike alone. Advice that she not only follows now but frequently preaches to others.

I have not shunned her, nor she shun us. In fact I attended her wedding and at her wedding along with her thanking her parents for giving her life, she thanked me and my kids for preserving it. I found that more meaningful than I would have by mocking her or giving her a beat down. But to each their own.

sasquatch2014
03-15-2010, 10:07
I have only came upon one hiker who was in a hypothermic state. You are right she quite delirious. She didn't remember much of what happened. But we didn't mock her or try to humiliate her. We just did our best to save her life.

She had been hiking alone, tripped while crossing a stream, got herself completely soaked and busted up her knee. She had managed to get herself out of the stream, but not much further. We warmed her up and dried her off and then when she was warm enough and strong enough to travel I helped off the trail and then I drove her to the hospital. We were the only other ones on the trail that day. Had we not came along she would have died that night.

The closest thing I have ever done to mocking her is to tell her afterwards that it is dangerous to hike alone. Advice that she not only follows now but frequently preaches to others.

I have not shunned her, nor she shun us. In fact I attended her wedding and at her wedding along with her thanking her parents for giving her life, she thanked me and my kids for preserving it. I found that more meaningful than I would have by mocking her or giving her a beat down. But to each their own.

Well Excuse Me! I guess I have not yet elevated myself to your more saintly level and since I am still just a lowly heathen I will take this opportunity to instead mock and taunt you.

*in outrageous French accent* "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!, Come back again and I shall taunt you some more you English pig dog!"

Bulldawg
03-15-2010, 10:08
Bulldawg:

Re. your story:

Anyone who has hiked with me knows that I avoid shelters at all costs and very seldom stay in them. But if I were to arrive at a shelter on a rainy miserable night, and there was a tent up in it that was depriving people of needed space, well yeah, I'd probably say something about it.

And so, I suspect, would you. :D

Nah, Jack, it was a tent spot man, not a spot in a shelter. I avoid the things except for cooking on the tables at night and hanging out if there is a fire.:D

jersey joe
03-15-2010, 11:51
I generally don't have a problem with cooking in shelters, however, I have seen people spill fuel and turn their stoves into a huge fireball on more than one occasion, so, I kinda understand how it could be frowned upon.

Cedar Shaft
03-15-2010, 11:53
Don't sweat the petty stuff and Don't pet the sweaty stuff!

maddawgg
03-15-2010, 21:13
internets != real life

?????????? :-?

Egads
03-15-2010, 21:15
internets != real life

?????????? :-?

internet's not equal to real life

scottdennis
03-15-2010, 21:33

What are you talking about. . .internet IS real life! :D

maddawgg
03-16-2010, 11:42

How stupid of me! I should have checked with "Snopes" before posting...:O):rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
03-16-2010, 18:42
Chaco Taco's Shelter etiquette- avoid them if possible.

Plodderman
03-16-2010, 18:48
If it's rainy and cold get there early. Just got back form Springer and man was it wet an cold. Shelters filled up quick so we tented.

Anyways we try to make room for everyone.

BabySue
07-05-2010, 20:29
Etiquette tip: Don't party loudly till long after midnight - singing, shouting, drinking, getting high, & being crass & vulgar - as Little Dipper and Joker did last night while others were trying to sleep.

Lone Wolf
07-05-2010, 20:35
Etiquette tip: Don't party loudly till long after midnight - singing, shouting, drinking, getting high, & being crass & vulgar - as Little Dipper and Joker did last night while others were trying to sleep.

avoid shelter and tenting areas. problem eradicated.

Lemni Skate
07-05-2010, 20:55
I am a snorer.

I don't like staying in shelters unless it's empty or just me and the kids and even then, I'd usually rather be in a tent. I often stop and have dinner at a shelter and sit around and talk with other hikers, but then right before dark I wander off and find a tent spot.

I however do not feel like the fact that I snore disqualifies me from using a shelter. If the weather conditions got dangerous I would get in and not apologize. If I'm in there first and somebody else can't take it, tough. People do all sorts of stuff to keep you awake besides snore. Snoring is just one thing.

The thing is, I volunteer on the trail, my whole family pays dues to the PATC and ATC. I have as much right to the shelter as anyone.

Other etiquette I wish all people would observe on the trail (in or out of shelters): refrain from cussing like sailors around my kids. Refrain from racist, sexist and dirty jokes around my kids. I'm trying to be a good dad by taking them out there, but a rare few groups make me wish I had taken them to the local bar instead.

Jester2000
07-06-2010, 00:12
I don't think snoring should be a problem for anyone in a shelter. If you're staying in shelters and you don't carry earplugs, I don't have too much sympathy.

generoll
07-06-2010, 07:13
I'll tell my wife that.

Nean
07-06-2010, 10:11
If I snored loud and often I wouldn't stay in a shelter w/ others.:-?

Knowingly disturbing others while they try to sleep is just rude and inconsiderate.:(

Since I know lots of folks are inconsiderate of others- I solve the problem by tenting.:welcome
Same w/ my dog. Shelter empty- no problem. Others in the shelter I don't know- we tent.:)

BabySue
07-06-2010, 20:18
Well said, Lone Wolf. I may have to take that step, avoid shelter areas, and become more of a lone wolf myself.

10-K
07-06-2010, 20:36
avoid shelter and tenting areas. problem eradicated.

I can't stand mice running over me while I'm trying to sleep.

I totally avoid shelters - I'd rather tent in a torrential downpour than sleep in a shelter.

Bear Cables
07-06-2010, 21:18
*in outrageous French accent* "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!, Come back again and I shall taunt you some more you English pig dog!"

Perhaps one who shows up late to shelter without tent should just sleep in half a hole...and like it!

Lone Wolf
07-06-2010, 21:32
Perhaps one who shows up late to shelter without tent should just sleep in half a hole...and like it!

stupid mindset to plan to end at shelters daily and expect space. tear down the wall!

ExplorerAtHeart
07-06-2010, 23:12
I like to stop at shelters, but not sleep in them. I prefer a tent a couple hundred meters or more depending on the situation for privacy and a place to escape to. I like shelters becasue they provide nice stopping place to meet up with people and socalize. They also have services like privy and water sources nearby. I like to be close to other people but not too close. :) The shelter areas are nice stopping points and goals.

Sierra Echo
07-06-2010, 23:16
I'm currently reading A walk in the woods.
I almost died laughing when Katz stole the woman's boots.
So behave, or someone will take your boots!

Jack Tarlin
07-07-2010, 11:33
*He didn't steal anyone's boots.
*He allegedly stole someone's laces.
*It almost certainly didn't actuallyhappen.

Describing AWITW as a work of non-fiction is being charitable, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

Sierra Echo
07-07-2010, 13:23
You're right! It was the laces!!