PDA

View Full Version : Longing to hit the Trail again...

Kerosene
10-04-2004, 18:56
So I'm standing in front of the sink shaving and my wife walks in and starts getting ready for her day after getting my daughter out the door for school. I start to talk: "You know, here it is October and I..." and she finishes my sentence with "...keep thinking that (I) should be getting ready for my Fall hiking trip."

Now we've been together for 31 years and finish each other's thoughts periodically, but I gave her absolutely no indication what I was thinking about! I've gone on a week-long section hike each year since 1999, but this year we did Georgia back in April to experience the mad rush (per Peaks recommendation). I'm going through withdrawal. Worse, it doesn't look like I'll be able to free up a week until next Fall, if I'm lucky.

Youngblood
10-04-2004, 19:26
... I'm going through withdrawal. Worse, it doesn't look like I'll be able to free up a week until next Fall, if I'm lucky.

A few years ago a friend of mine broke his ankle while hiking. I was going out practically every weekend and was posting descriptions to the group that we all hiked with before the trips. After the trips I posted a report with photos. He told me later when we where on a trip after his ankle healed that those trip reports and photos allowed him to hike vicariously through me while his ankle was healing. Maybe it would help if you 'adopted' someone on trailjournals.

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
10-04-2004, 19:51
A few years ago a friend of mine broke his ankle while hiking. I was going out practically every weekend and was posting descriptions to the group that we all hiked with before the trips. After the trips I posted a report with photos. He told me later when we where on a trip after his ankle healed that those trip reports and photos allowed him to hike vicariously through me while his ankle was healing. Maybe it would help if you 'adopted' someone on trailjournals.

Youngblood
In 2001 & 2002 when I was injured and needed to return home, I would get very "trail crazy". It helped to read Trail Journals, kind of made me feel like I was still out there. -- That said I know the feeling... come April I start getting that far away look in my eyes and my husband just automatically asks "so where and how long this time?" Sue/Hammock Hanger

Jersey Bob
10-04-2004, 22:18
at least 10 characters

tlbj6142
10-05-2004, 09:39
Looks like you need to take a couple of weekend hikes in your area. Make sure you check the hunting season before you make plans as I'm well aware of the ferver MI hunters have at the start of a season.

Where do you hike in MI? There has to be something in NW or North Central MI. And, I know, the UP has plenty of places. Anything in the central reigon closer to Ann Arbor

(I grew up in Sylvania, OH).

Trail Dog
10-05-2004, 13:34
I find myself totally unable to read Trail journals unless i am on a zero day in the middle of my hike. No long distance stuff for me and my girl till sometime in 2007. We still got the weekends.