PDA

View Full Version : Tent or Hammock?

BostonAndy
03-13-2010, 22:30
I'm planning on a NOBO E2E in late July. I have both a REI Quater Dome T2 tent and a Clark Jungle Hammock North American model. I'm basicly wondering if the LT is a hammock friendly trail? I think I will have more options in my hammock than my tent. People who have used hammocks on the LT let me know your experances.

Manwich
03-13-2010, 22:32
I intend on doing NoBo E2E of the VT Long Trail late july in my Hammock.

Tinker
03-13-2010, 22:38
I section hiked the Long Trail in the 1990s. With the exception of Mt. Mansfield, I can't think of any place that you couldn't hang a hammock. I tented or used shelters back then. I hammock now, and am contemplating an E2E this September (SOBO).

butts0989
03-13-2010, 22:53
TENT, but i just use a tarp. Ok just kidding all you hammock campers, i used to be one too, till it screwed up my back. it works for some but not for all. The weight difference (unless you use a cuben tarp or SUL gear) is virtually none (this is assuming you are using a warbonet hammock, IMO they're the best). it completely comes down to you're preference or the environment you're going to be in.

Tinker
03-13-2010, 23:07
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502

Hammock - 10.5 oz.
Straps or rope 8.0 oz.
Carabiners - 2 oz. (total)
Poncho - 12 oz. (with cordage)
HUGE tarp - 24 oz. (with cordage)
Mac Cat Spinnaker tarp 9.5 oz (with cordage)
Stakes - 4 oz. (but no one includes them in their weight)
Total - Min. 30 oz. (includes imaginary sleeping pad - none needed)
Max. 44.5 oz.
(Add bug net if you need to - 7.5 (Warbonnet) - 16 (ENO)
Really, it's about the same as using a single walled tent, light pad, and groundsheet, but SO much more comfortable!

Manwich
03-13-2010, 23:18
Tinker... +2oz for awesome sunglasses.

http://i.imgur.com/FramBl.jpg

Quoddy
03-14-2010, 09:41
If you plan to stop anywhere except shelter areas you are going to find it difficult to find a spot to pitch a tent. I've used a hammock extensively on the LT and love the freedom to stop anytime, even if just for a rest/nap.

About half way between Laura Woodward and Shooting Star I stopped early and got the hammock/tarp up seconds before the squall line hit.

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq164/Quoddy1/The%20Long%20Trail/SecondsbeforetheThunderstorm.jpg

YoungMoose
03-14-2010, 10:36
Im planning on tenting and using the shelters for my nobo this summer.

Bleemus
03-14-2010, 14:37
The Long Trail is a great trail for hammockers. I know the whole trail from MA. to Rte. 4 and there isn't a spot that you can't hang. I imagine the northern section is the same with the exception of Mansfield.

BostonAndy
03-14-2010, 19:18
I guess I will be taking my hammock. I was leaning that way anyways. Glad to hear LT is a hammock friendly. I'm leaving late july and taking my time. So the idea to hang it any where is more appealing then looking for a flat spot to pitch a tent.

MyName1sMud
03-15-2010, 11:22
TENT, but i just use a tarp. Ok just kidding all you hammock campers, i used to be one too, till it screwed up my back. it works for some but not for all. The weight difference (unless you use a cuben tarp or SUL gear) is virtually none (this is assuming you are using a warbonet hammock, IMO they're the best). it completely comes down to you're preference or the environment you're going to be in.

or........

TarpTent