PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Remember the Cocoon 3&4 Sleeping Shelter Systems?

DapperD
03-13-2010, 23:30
I am not sure these are even manufactured anymore but was just wondering if anyone owned or had ever heard of or used these. Years ago I had considered this for a thru-hike as it was supposed to replace your sleeping bag, ground pad and tent and do the job of all, while providing "Unequalled Performance":http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/gear/Cocoon4.htm

Tinker
03-14-2010, 00:13
Yeah, I remember that one. It's only as good as the coating on the fabric which enables the user to inflate or deflate the down compartments to vary the warmth. Being coated, the compartments were essentially vapor barriers, which would, theoretically, leave any user sweaty in less than frigid conditions.
I bought a Stephenson's Warmlite Triple bag instead. It still had the vapor barrier which narrowed the comfort zone, temperature-wise. I prefer to bring along a vapor barrier as a separate liner if I expect that temperatures may dip lower than the comfort rating of my sleeping bag (s) - (I double a couple of lighter bags for winter use).
Sometimes great ideas on paper don't make it in the "real world".

Franco
03-14-2010, 17:27
Pneugear went out of business in 2002.
Possibly the "system" was not pitched at the correct market.
To me it looks like it could have worked for some "survival" type situations or maybe for the Iditarod type races , however not for backbacking.
For a start it was a 10- 13lbs system (depending on the size) , bulky at 11"x17"- 12"x19". And of course a bit expensive at $1300-1800...
The fact that it could perform at -40 should tell you that at the average AT night temperature you are carrying far too much weight to keep you warm.
Beside that , how many would want to do the AT inside just a bivvy ? (no tarp...)
Having a modular mat/bag/shelter system allows us to pick and choose the exact combination we like, a "mulitool" system like the Cocoon locks you in to a one item that will not necessarily perform best in most situations.
Franco
A report on that system here :

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA257809&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf (http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA257809&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf)

DapperD
03-14-2010, 18:17
Pneugear went out of business in 2002.
Possibly the "system" was not pitched at the correct market.
To me it looks like it could have worked for some "survival" type situations or maybe for the Iditarod type races , however not for backbacking.
For a start it was a 10- 13lbs system (depending on the size) , bulky at 11"x17"- 12"x19". And of course a bit expensive at $1300-1800...
The fact that it could perform at -40 should tell you that at the average AT night temperature you are carrying far too much weight to keep you warm.
Actually the product I considered for backpacking was made by a company called Envirogear, unsure if they are/were related to "Pneugear". The products were made in the USA and the company was located in Cortland, NY. The Cocoon3, which was what I was interested in at the time,(and having the information still)states that it is three season rated(+70F to +10F). It is 7"X17" rolled,weighing in at 6.25 pounds,for people up to 6'2" and 250lbs. It is listed with a price of $380. A full length mesh enclosure,weight not listed,could be had for an additional $49.50, and a Canopy/tent that would fit it added an additional 1.2 lbs., and cost an additional $95. Be aware that these prices were from the early '90's.

DapperD
03-14-2010, 18:42
Actually the product I considered for backpacking was made by a company called Envirogear, unsure if they are/were related to "Pneugear". The products were made in the USA and the company was located in Cortland, NY. The Cocoon3, which was what I was interested in at the time,(and having the information still)states that it is three season rated(+70F to +10F). It is 7"X17" rolled,weighing in at 6.25 pounds,for people up to 6'2" and 250lbs. It is listed with a price of $380. A full length mesh enclosure,weight not listed,could be had for an additional $49.50, and a Canopy/tent that would fit it added an additional 1.2 lbs., and cost an additional $95. Be aware that these prices were from the early '90's.It appears "Pneugear" bought the rights for the product from Envirogear at some point. This was the original N.Y. Times article on the original product:http://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/14/news/featherbed-in-the-breeze.html?pagewanted=1

leaftye
03-14-2010, 21:04
I remember that! I've been trying to find a link about it for the longest time. I wish I bought a setup way back when. I think it was a great idea.

Rocketman
03-19-2010, 22:30
I was doing some research on down and staying warm and I came across a military technical report on the evaluation of the Cocoon 4 system for the Canadian armed forces.

I downloaded a PDF copy of the report described below.

================================================== ====
Accession Number : ADA257809
Title : Testing of the Cocoon-4 Sleeping Shelter
Corporate Author : DEFENCE AND CIVIL INST OF ENVIRONMENTALMEDICINE DOWNSVIEW (ONTARIO)
Personal Author(s) : Ducharme, Michel B.
Handle / proxy Url : http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA257809 Check NTIS Availability... (http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/NtisCheck?&accession=ADA257809)

Report Date : SEP 1992

Pagination or Media Count : 13

Abstract : The objective of the present study was to evaluate the performance of a new concept of sleeping shelter, the Cocoon-4, in the field and in the laboratory, and under different temperature and humidity conditions that could be encountered by the Canadian Forces. It was found that the concept of adding air to an airtight down sleeping shelter to vary the insulation while keeping the down dry works well. Some problems with the quality of construction and the design of some critical components such as the valves were observed which made the performance of the Cocoon less impressive than expected from the claims made by the manufacturer. It was concluded that the Cocoon-4 could be useful for the Canadian Forces as emergency shelter providing the manufacturer could improve on the quality of his product, and could add some modifications to the design.

Descriptors : *FIELD TESTS, *TENTS, *SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, TEMPERATURE, EMERGENCIES, MODIFICATION, INSULATION, CANADA, QUALITY, VALVES, HUMIDITY.
Subject Categories : HUMAN FACTORS ENGINEERING & MAN MACHINE SYSTEM
PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE ================================================

The link in the above abstract, which appears to be the PDF which I downloaded, does not currently appear to be working. I suggest it be tried after the weekend if anyone is interested in the full report.

I can email it should the original poster be interested.

Franco
03-19-2010, 23:10
For the ones that don't have me on ignore, you could try the link I posted on comment N3
Franco

Rocketman
03-19-2010, 23:57
For the ones that don't have me on ignore, you could try the link I posted on comment N3
Franco

Turns out we both ended up referring to the same report. Franco was clearly the first.

BOWSINGER
03-20-2010, 15:09
IT took a little digging, but I have here in my hot little hands my 1990 brochure and letters from Envirogear and the Cocoon 4 sleeping system.
SPECS:
Cocoon 4
650+fill power prime goose down
Temp. Rating: adjustable from +70 to -45F.
Weight 8 pounds
Length of sleeping module: 83”
Inside width: 32”
Inside height: 12”
Rolled up size: 11” x 17”
Detachable canopy included.
1990 price: $674
Cocoon 4/SL
650+fill power prime goose down
Temp. Rating: adjustable from +70 to -45F.
Weight 7 pounds
Length of sleeping module: 77”
Inside width: 28”
Inside height: 14 ½”
Rolled up size: 9” x 17”
Canopy & compression sack: optional
1990 price: $564
I also have a 2000 TLB gear review of the now called Pneugear Cocoon 4 bag and the weight is given as about 10 pounds and the price is $1395.
And the reviewer backs up the company guaranteed claim that you can get into the bag with soaking wet clothes and be completely warm and dry in minutes. The 1990 brochure includes a letter of intent stating that the 1992 POLAR CHALLENGE will be using this bag and it has been endorsed by Sir Edmund Hilary himself.
The brochure goes on to say the bag was invented in 1975 and tested in 4 major labs at a cost of over $1,500,000. Suffice to say, their advertising left no stone unturned.
Being from Missouri, the Show Me State, I didn’t buy one, but maybe I should have.

zeus76
05-05-2010, 01:25
Hello, I was browsing through the old pneugear Cocoon 4 website when I came across this Warm-Aloft by Pneugear. It looks similar to the Cocoon 4 but without the blanket component. Has anyone seen or heard of this?