PDA

View Full Version : Tarping in Mosquito Season

ssr41
03-14-2010, 11:59
When you tarp in the summer how do you keep the mosquito off of you?

Slo-go'en
03-14-2010, 12:18
Use a bug net or bug bivy.

I really don't see the point in using a tarp instead of a tent. With a tarp, you still need a ground cloth as the ground can often be damp/wet/muddy and unless you like bugs crawling all over you like beetles, spiders, ticks and mosquitos bitting you, you need a bug net of some kind. Might as well get a tent.

scottdennis
03-14-2010, 12:21
I hate bugs and tend to gladly carry the extra weight for a tent. I like looking at the stars just fine through the mesh covered with hungry bugs trying to get at me.

We had a guy in the Marines one time who left his skeeter net back home when we were doing some jungle warfare training. He woke up the next morning (he never actually slept very well) and looked like he had the measles or something.

Feral Bill
03-14-2010, 12:22
Bug season is not all of hiking season. There is a time and a place forr both tarps and tents. If mosquitoes are a minor nuisance, a little DEET solves the problem. If there are major swarms, yes, do use a tent.

FB

HiKen2011
03-14-2010, 12:30
I am a heavy sweater and cannot seem to find the correct layers hiking in cool, wet and windy conditions. Last year on April 2nd I was hiking from Hawk Mtn. shelter north in 45 degree weather, a strong north wind and drizzle. I was wearing a long sleeve polypro (lightweight) shirt with a columbia long sleeve nylon (Titanium) shirt and my lightweight Marmot rain jacket and My clothes were soaked. Within 3+ miles I was freezing even while walking. Any suggestions on a better layering system as these conditions are typical in early spring in GA.:-?

Thanks,
Detour

HiKen2011
03-14-2010, 12:31
Sorry I thought I posted a new thread.

Two Speed
03-14-2010, 13:09
When you tarp in the summer how do you keep the mosquito off of you?Living down south and being a section hiker and very occasional long distance hiker I generally don't hike in mosquito season.

I have successfully used an OR Bug Bivy in Maine during mosquito season. It worked but it was a freakin' cage match to the death every night when I got in the bivy.

Of course all a tent would have done is made more room for the cage match.

yaduck9
03-14-2010, 13:55

Here you go;

http://www.rayjardine.com/ray-way/Tarp-Kit/Spitfire/index.htm

I have an un-opened Ray Way NET-Tent Kit that I have never been able to get around to sewing. If your interested, let me know.

We don't get too many mosquitos in Arizona.

JustaTouron
03-14-2010, 14:11
I am a heavy sweater and cannot seem to find the correct layers hiking in cool, wet and windy conditions. Last year on April 2nd I was hiking from Hawk Mtn. shelter north in 45 degree weather, a strong north wind and drizzle. I was wearing a long sleeve polypro (lightweight) shirt with a columbia long sleeve nylon (Titanium) shirt and my lightweight Marmot rain jacket and My clothes were soaked. Within 3+ miles I was freezing even while walking. Any suggestions on a better layering system as these conditions are typical in early spring in GA.:-?

Thanks,
Detour

Synthetics are greatest benifit is in drying fast not warmth when wet. Wools greatest benifit is in being warm even when wet, even though it doesn't dry as quickly as synthetics. Consider switching to a wool shirt.

Miner
03-14-2010, 14:58

Any of these methods work. Bivy sack with face netting. A bug bivy. a bug net that covers part of you when sleeping. A head net worn over a baseball cap while staying inside your sleeping bag.

And why would I do this? Because my tarp with a bivy and ground cloth is still under 14oz. I only use the tarp for bad weather (I'm too lazy to set a tent or tarp up) and the tarp is less weight for something I may not use. And I don't use a shelter until I go to bed anyway. If one normally likes to hang out inside their shelter then yes, a tarp in bug season may not be the best solution for you. But it works for some people.