PDA

View Full Version : Dinner for Breakfast - why not?

Mrs Baggins
03-14-2010, 13:33
I was in a hurry to get going out of the house the other day and starving as I hadn't eaten breakfast. I don't like breakfast foods very much but I didn't want to go to the grocery store on an empty stomach, either. So I opened the fridge and spotted a container of leftover Rice-A-Roni from the night before. Popped into the microwave and munched it down. It dawned on me then......I know I should eat breakfast on the trail but I since I don't like sweet stuff for breakfast very much (like poptarts, cereal bars) and also don't care for cereals and oatmeal, why not just cook a packet of Lipton Sides for breakfast? It would be satisfying, filling, and really no more trouble than boiling water for oatmeal. I realize those side dish things are higher in salt but at least I'd be eating something instead of skipping breakfast altogether and then wolfing down 2 Snickers later in the day because I'm so hungry and don't want to stop and unpack to cook something.

So....anyone else do dinner for breakfast? Just wondering.........

JustaTouron
03-14-2010, 13:40
Slight thread drift....

But prior to marrige I rarely paid much attention to conventional norms of what should be eaten when.

Pizza for breakfast.... Pancakes for dinner.
Chicken soup and grilled cheese for breakfast....french toast for lunch....pb&j sandwich dinner.

Since marriage I tend to stick to the conventions 'cause I don't do the cooking.

Mountain Wildman
03-14-2010, 13:58
I eat breakfast for dinner all the time, and when the mood hits me I will eat pizza, chicken, baked potatoes, whatever I crave for breakfast. Food is food.
Who says you have to eat only eggs or bagels or pancakes etc... for breakfast.
Not me!!

white_russian
03-14-2010, 14:11
brinner is awesome

Mrs Baggins
03-14-2010, 14:14
I eat breakfast for dinner all the time, and when the mood hits me I will eat pizza, chicken, baked potatoes, whatever I crave for breakfast. Food is food.
Who says you have to eat only eggs or bagels or pancakes etc... for breakfast.
Not me!!

I agree! :) But come breakfast time what do you see everyone hauling out of their food bags? Bagels, bags of cereal,oatmeal, poptarts, pancake mix if they have the gear to cook them....if I'm boiling water for coffee then I can boil more for some rice or noodles. I'd rather eat Ramen for breakfast than cereal. I just never considered it when hiking. Now I will!

Mountain Wildman
03-14-2010, 14:31
I agree! :) But come breakfast time what do you see everyone hauling out of their food bags? Bagels, bags of cereal,oatmeal, poptarts, pancake mix if they have the gear to cook them....if I'm boiling water for coffee then I can boil more for some rice or noodles. I'd rather eat Ramen for breakfast than cereal. I just never considered it when hiking. Now I will!

I will admit that I do love a traditional breakfast like eggs and bacon and home fries, But I also love it for dinner.
To me, food is food, as long as I get the necessary nutrients and minerals, proteins etc... what does it matter what food they come from.
I have eaten Ramen for breakfast while at home.
The other night my dinner was Scrambled eggs with mild cheddar cheese and steakums. Filled the void.

Lellers
03-14-2010, 14:33
I do that all the time, both here and at home. Got into it more when we the son of some friends, who are Korean, stayed with us for an extended visit. He ate dried fish in the morning, rice all day; there were no norms for what was breakfast, lunch or dinner food. It really makes more sense. Eat what fuels you and what you are willing to prepare. I do like to eat a big meal in the morning and eat lighter the rest of the day, so I'm willing to take the time in the a.m. to cook something. I make up for it at the end of the day when dinner is something snack-like with a hot cup of tea. I basically just set up my shelter and relax at the end of the day. I'd rather not deal with a big meal and then have all sorts of clean up at the end of the day.

ken209
03-14-2010, 14:35
My stomach doesn't know what time it is, just knows it's hungry.

Mountain Wildman
03-14-2010, 14:57
I do that all the time, both here and at home. Got into it more when we the son of some friends, who are Korean, stayed with us for an extended visit. He ate dried fish in the morning, rice all day; there were no norms for what was breakfast, lunch or dinner food. It really makes more sense. Eat what fuels you and what you are willing to prepare. I do like to eat a big meal in the morning and eat lighter the rest of the day, so I'm willing to take the time in the a.m. to cook something. I make up for it at the end of the day when dinner is something snack-like with a hot cup of tea. I basically just set up my shelter and relax at the end of the day. I'd rather not deal with a big meal and then have all sorts of clean up at the end of the day.

I lived with a Korean guy and his wife once, And you are right, they don't have the same meal standards as we do. Again, food is food. But I also can remember taking a dish out of the fridge that was in there too long, It used to be scrambled eggs, but it was now green, just like Dr. Seuss.
As we ate our usual rice and seafood and wonderful and delicious Kim Chi, He ate that whole bowl of green eggs. I almost had to leave the table, but I was hungry and it was a training night. He would not let us throw it out because to him it was still food.

modiyooch
03-14-2010, 15:05
We camped north of the notch heading sobo. That morning we had a huge dinner for breakfast and then tackled the notch. It was beneficial.

Other times I have found myself weak and faint, and realize that sugar for breakfast is not productive.

Blissful
03-14-2010, 15:19
My husband eats dinner leftovers all the time for breakfast. He loves them and its good for my fridge.

Blissful
03-14-2010, 15:20
We camped north of the notch heading sobo. That morning we had a huge dinner for breakfast and then tackled the notch. It was beneficial.

Other times I have found myself weak and faint, and realize that sugar for breakfast is not productive.

Interesting advice., esp for tough sections Thanks

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2010, 15:43
I used to eat breakfast at night a lot more often than I do now. I love a big bowl of grits but NOT in the morning, same with oatmeal or any hot gloppy stuff served in a bowl, can't swallow it until at least 11 a.m. Once every couple of months I will still make a big bowl of grits and fried eggs and toast for dinner. Sometimes I make oatmeal with raisins and cinnamon and brown sugar for dessert in the evening.

On the other hand, my absolute favorite breakfast is cold pizza straight out of the fridge leftover from the night before.

LaurieAnn
03-14-2010, 18:00
We do this on the trail on occasion. If we have a particularly hard day ahead we'll have dinner for breakfast and then have breakfast when we make camp.

dmax
03-14-2010, 18:15
You could also make a really big dinner for breakfast and eat the leftovers for lunch.

modiyooch
03-14-2010, 18:22
You could also make a really big dinner for breakfast and eat the leftovers for lunch.
leftovers?

dmax
03-14-2010, 18:23
I see your point...:)

Appalachian Tater
03-14-2010, 18:32
But I also can remember taking a dish out of the fridge that was in there too long, It used to be scrambled eggs, but it was now green, just like Dr. Seuss.They may or may not have been spoiled but the color likely was not because they were spoiled even if they were. Scrambled eggs turn green naturally because of the sulphur and iron, especially if you cook them in a cast iron skillet or iron wok.

My bet is the eggs were fine and he was secretly laughing at you trying to keep him from eating them!

Mountain Wildman
03-14-2010, 19:29
They may or may not have been spoiled but the color likely was not because they were spoiled even if they were. Scrambled eggs turn green naturally because of the sulphur and iron, especially if you cook them in a cast iron skillet or iron wok.

My bet is the eggs were fine and he was secretly laughing at you trying to keep him from eating them!

You may be right,
He went back home to Seoul.
We will never know for sure.

geomaniac
03-14-2010, 19:46
I think I will start eating dinner for breakfast when I am hiking now too. It seems like the more complex carbs would be a great help keeping me going. Not that you cant have complex carbs and protein in normal breakfast foods, but more often they are loaded with sugar.

Gray Blazer
03-14-2010, 20:49
This is starting to sound like the guy who had his breakfast the night before and slept in his suit to save time.

My favorite breakfast is birthday cake and ice cream.

Mrs Baggins
03-14-2010, 21:05
Hey thanks guys for a fun discussion. Maybe some of us have broken a paradigm and will have a good time trying out something different for the breakfast routine.

Slo-go'en
03-14-2010, 21:12
My favorite breakfist on a chilly, wet morning? Rama's with Hot chocolate instead of the spice pack. Why dirty another cup?

JustaTouron
03-14-2010, 21:45
He ate that whole bowl of green eggs.

Did he have ham? It is a well known fact you can't have green eggs without ham.

Wise Old Owl
03-14-2010, 21:51
Wait you have never been to a Diner for Steak & Eggs? Come on there are no rules on the trail...

FYI not directed to anyone but the all the folks in general

Tinker
03-14-2010, 21:57
The bottom line for hikers (especially long distance hikers) is "anything with calories is ok any time of day."
Pizza is always fair game - at home or away.

Mountain Wildman
03-14-2010, 22:35
Did he have ham? It is a well known fact you can't have green eggs without ham.

I don't recall there being ham at that particular meal.
But, I always remember that he loved potatoes, I don't think he ever had them growing up in Korea. He could have afforded them, He came from a wealthy family, so either there were no potatoes available in Korea or they just preferred rice.

Surplusman
03-15-2010, 22:31
My favorite breakfast years ago used to be the English delicacy of sardines on toast. I emphasize the "years ago" part.

BlueTang
03-16-2010, 00:04
I was in a hurry to get going out of the house the other day and starving as I hadn't eaten breakfast. I don't like breakfast foods very much but I didn't want to go to the grocery store on an empty stomach, either. So I opened the fridge and spotted a container of leftover Rice-A-Roni from the night before. Popped into the microwave and munched it down. It dawned on me then......I know I should eat breakfast on the trail but I since I don't like sweet stuff for breakfast very much (like poptarts, cereal bars) and also don't care for cereals and oatmeal, why not just cook a packet of Lipton Sides for breakfast? It would be satisfying, filling, and really no more trouble than boiling water for oatmeal. I realize those side dish things are higher in salt but at least I'd be eating something instead of skipping breakfast altogether and then wolfing down 2 Snickers later in the day because I'm so hungry and don't want to stop and unpack to cook something.

So....anyone else do dinner for breakfast? Just wondering.........

My dad refuse to subscribe to the notion that you "must" eat breakfast food at Breakfast. More often than not you will see him cooking up stir fry or some other veggie and rice concoction.

GGS2
03-16-2010, 00:27
My favorite breakfast years ago used to be the English delicacy of sardines on toast. I emphasize the "years ago" part.I remember that as kippers, or kippered herring. That was spkit herring, salted, dried, and smoked, cooked up in milk or desalted in water for a time. Used to find it tinned, ready to eat like sardines, but not quite the same. Today, canned herrings called sardines are usually simply steam canned in a broth or sauce, and taste rather different than kippered herring, as I recall. I'm not sure what the English would make of calling sardines an English breakfast delicacy. The name sardines usually refers to pilchards in England. In Canada at least, the fish is usually immature herring, from coastal fish traps along the Atlantic coast and the Bay of Fundy. All good, but I think the translation may change while crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

Mrs Baggins
03-16-2010, 05:59
I remember that as kippers, or kippered herring. That was spkit herring, salted, dried, and smoked, cooked up in milk or desalted in water for a time. Used to find it tinned, ready to eat like sardines, but not quite the same. Today, canned herrings called sardines are usually simply steam canned in a broth or sauce, and taste rather different than kippered herring, as I recall. I'm not sure what the English would make of calling sardines an English breakfast delicacy. The name sardines usually refers to pilchards in England. In Canada at least, the fish is usually immature herring, from coastal fish traps along the Atlantic coast and the Bay of Fundy. All good, but I think the translation may change while crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

We've eaten sardines on toast in Portugal. It was a lunch item and had some marinated veggies alongside. They also serve up grilled sardines in olive and garlic - eat 'em heads and all. Delicious! They're much bigger than what we see in cans here.

Surplusman
03-16-2010, 07:16
I remember that as kippers, or kippered herring. That was spkit herring, salted, dried, and smoked, cooked up in milk or desalted in water for a time. Used to find it tinned, ready to eat like sardines, but not quite the same. Today, canned herrings called sardines are usually simply steam canned in a broth or sauce, and taste rather different than kippered herring, as I recall. I'm not sure what the English would make of calling sardines an English breakfast delicacy. The name sardines usually refers to pilchards in England. In Canada at least, the fish is usually immature herring, from coastal fish traps along the Atlantic coast and the Bay of Fundy. All good, but I think the translation may change while crossing the Atlantic Ocean.

You're correct, of course, about what really constitutes "sardines on toast." I loved kippered herring, sardines and crackers, all that stuff. I'd still be eating them today if it wasn't for the gout attacks they give me.
Eating stuff out of a can, even cold, comes down from my grandfather, who came from a family of oil well drillers in Oil Springs/Petrolia.

LaurieAnn
03-16-2010, 08:50
mmm Kippers. I'm of Scottish descent and we had Kippered Herring often. Mom would buy them in bags that you just plunked in boiling water or in cans. The certainly do have a different flavor than standard canned sardines. We refer to Kippers as bear bait... lol.

Mrs. Baggins, we can buy frozen sardines to be grilled. They are about 6 to 8 inches long and a few inches wide. We have large Portuguese and Italian populations in our small city.

Surplusman... I remember my Dad telling me stories about eating the beans right out of the can without heating them up when he was a teen. I guess that was the easiest way of dealing with lunch when he was in the gem mines with Grandpa. I just can't imagine doing that - I'd have to warm them first.

Mrs Baggins
03-16-2010, 12:33
mmm Kippers. I'm of Scottish descent and we had Kippered Herring often. Mom would buy them in bags that you just plunked in boiling water or in cans. The certainly do have a different flavor than standard canned sardines. We refer to Kippers as bear bait... lol.

Mrs. Baggins, we can buy frozen sardines to be grilled. They are about 6 to 8 inches long and a few inches wide. We have large Portuguese and Italian populations in our small city.

Surplusman... I remember my Dad telling me stories about eating the beans right out of the can without heating them up when he was a teen. I guess that was the easiest way of dealing with lunch when he was in the gem mines with Grandpa. I just can't imagine doing that - I'd have to warm them first.

I can buy them here, too, and have a couple of times. I just roast them in the oven with olive oil and garlic. And I've eaten Chef Boyardee raviolis and the spaghetti cold from the can. I LOVE the taste of the sauce cold or hot!

Dicentra
03-16-2010, 13:31
We had cheesecake and coffee for breakfast on one (more memorable) trip. :)

LaurieAnn
03-16-2010, 15:17
I can buy them here, too, and have a couple of times. I just roast them in the oven with olive oil and garlic. And I've eaten Chef Boyardee raviolis and the spaghetti cold from the can. I LOVE the taste of the sauce cold or hot!

I was just telling my husband how strange cold ravioli from the can sounds to me.... he laughed and said that he used to do that when he was camping... he also said the Puritan meatballs in a can are good cold... lol... after 18 years I'm still learning new things about him.

sherrill
03-16-2010, 15:46
I can eat almost anything for breakfast. But back in 83, with almost no food left before a town stop, I had some Underwood Deviled Ham.

Big, big mistake....:p

Old Hiker
03-16-2010, 15:56
I found out that two or three packs of oatmeal weren't getting me to lunch even with added sugar, fruit, nuts, etc. I would start crashing about 2.5 hours after breakfast. I started having a "dinner" meal for breakfast with increased carbs and calories and I can get to lunch with no problems.

LaurieAnn
03-16-2010, 17:05
I found out that two or three packs of oatmeal weren't getting me to lunch even with added sugar, fruit, nuts, etc. I would start crashing about 2.5 hours after breakfast.

That's why I didn't include any oatmeal additions/recipes in my books. I love oatmeal but I find it doesn't stay with me very long.

Surplusman
03-16-2010, 18:39

I can eat just about anything cold from a can...of course Tabasco sauce helps too. About the only thing I couldn't stomach, Tabasco sauce or not, was Army C-Ration chopped ham & eggs. I celebrated my first hike up Mt. Everett here in MA by having a large can of cold Chef Boy-Ar-Dee ravioli.
DEE-licious!

Surplusman
03-16-2010, 18:45
I just remembered something I haven't though of in years....We would carry all of our c-ration cans end to end in a knee length men's stretch sock. Tie off the toe end to your gear, put in the cans, and tie off the other end somewhere else, and you have a bandolier of food cans!