PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mt. Campground

Sparky!
10-04-2004, 21:37
THe hike from 501 to this shelter is some of the nicest trail conditions in PA. The shelter has a loft with windows on each side and a very nice picnic table and fire pit. The privy is a compost privy with a second stage are for the waste. There is a sign to keep off the grass, you may have missed it. Looking at the shelter go to the right side and look up at the back eves... there is a stone "Keep Off the Grass" sign there.
Water and numerous tent sites are to the right of the trail and just so happens to be where the water is... Very nice are and where I spent the night. Plenty of water, plenty of fire pits and plenty of space....

Sparky

Crash
10-09-2004, 12:01
Is there water by the shelter side of the trail?
I thought the water was on the campsite side of the trail.
I hammocked there last year at the campsite.

c.coyle
10-10-2004, 16:23
Is there water by the shelter side of the trail?
I thought the water was on the campsite side of the trail.
I hammocked there last year at the campsite.

The spring is on the campsite side of the trail. I'm not aware of any water on the William Penn shelter side. It's a 5 minute walk from the shelter to the spring.

Sparky!
10-11-2004, 18:49
There is no water at the Shelter, the water is located at the Blue Mountain Campsite. Just follow the blue blaze trail off of the AT... When you are North Bound the blue blazed trail will be to your left, William Penn Shelter Trail to your right. I was south bound..... thus the trail was to my right... sorry about that, I should have been more clear.

At Blue Mnt Camp site there is a very large oak tree that was blown down which offers plenty of good fire wood for a toasty campfire...

Sparky!

c.coyle
12-14-2004, 11:12
Stopped by Sunday, 12/14/2004. Someone moved the picnic table around to the side of the shelter, then built a second fire ring directly in front of the shelter and no more than 10 feet away. Not a bright idea, IMO.

The original fire ring was about 30 to 40 feet away and off to the side.

mbroadhe
06-02-2005, 12:51
Picnic table is back in front of the shelter and the fire pit is on the side. Nice shelter with a loft and windows. Many hikers will push on to the 501 shelter/hostel, so there's a good chance this one would be empty. The spring is on the campsite side of the trail .1 miles off of it. Nice spring with good flow.

Hauger
08-07-2005, 14:11
Visited this shelter in late July this year -- in very good shape, and the loft is a sweet feature. Not a lot of room to spread things out, though; take a larger group to the campsites across the AT...

BlackCloud
01-17-2006, 14:03
As of 01/06, the shelter was clean, though the picnic table out front was covered w/ all manner of crumbs, etc. I liked the loft upstairs.
Although the privy fits the scale of the shelter, they are both HUGE!

The privy is about 9' tall..............

Bayou
03-03-2006, 18:08
I should be staying here on about the 15th of March, as I start my AT/LT hike. I will be headed north to the LT.

Does anyone else plan a N or S hike thru this section in Mid-March or late March??