PDA

View Full Version : Getting trail maps on the way

Inwoods
03-14-2010, 18:08
I am looking for advice on getting sections of trail maps as i hike north. I know they can be orderd from the ATC. However, i am trying to reduce my food/mail drops. Presently, i have my drops/trailmaps scheduled through the Smokey Mountains. It is this point my plan is to resuply along the way. I realize some say maps are not needed, but i like the idea of having them. So, are they available in most towns/hostels along the way?

10-K
03-14-2010, 18:13
I am looking for advice on getting sections of trail maps as i hike north. I know they can be orderd from the ATC. However, i am trying to reduce my food/mail drops. Presently, i have my drops/trailmaps scheduled through the Smokey Mountains. It is this point my plan is to resuply along the way. I realize some say maps are not needed, but i like the idea of having them. So, are they available in most towns/hostels along the way?

It's possible - depending on when you get to an outfitter that carries them they may be in stock if they haven't been bought by other hikers already.

I wouldn't consider this a reliable way to procure maps - definitely hit or miss.

FWIW, after GSMNP, your next 3 opportunities to buy maps are Bluff Mt. Outfitters in Hot Springs, Uncle Johnny's in Erwin and Sundog Outfitter in Damascus.

mountain squid
03-14-2010, 18:18
So, are they available in most towns/hostels along the way?No, probably not.

I would advise against this plan. The only places you are likely to find the maps are at outfitters. Logistically, that might become bothersome trying to get to an outfitter that has the next set of maps that you need.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Inwoods
03-14-2010, 18:25
So, it sounds like either go without them. carry them all. or plan more mail drops .Bummer. back to the planning stage again!!!

10-K
03-14-2010, 18:32
So, it sounds like either go without them. carry them all. or plan more mail drops .Bummer. back to the planning stage again!!!

The 3rd option is the one I'd pick. (more mail drops)

That's what I'm going to do - and in each mail drop with fresh maps I'm going to have a return priority envelope with postage already affixed to mail back the ones I'm finished with.

Inwoods
03-14-2010, 18:35
Thanks for that idea 10-K.

Tuts
03-14-2010, 23:09
I figure you probably really want to have them, but I never carried one during my thru-hike at all. Some people like to have them but I never needed one. All I had was my thru-hiker's companion. Good luck.

Terry7
03-14-2010, 23:11
I figure you probably really want to have them, but I never carried one during my thru-hike at all. Some people like to have them but I never needed one. All I had was my thru-hiker's companion. Good luck.

same for me, maps just extra weight.

white_russian
03-14-2010, 23:22
Mailing maps is not a big hassle. Plus you can use media mail so it is cheaper.