PDA

View Full Version : Shutin Ridge Run

modiyooch
03-14-2010, 18:42
Distance -
18 miles from the North Carolina Arboretum near Asheville, NC to the trailhead for the Mt. Pisgah summit.
Terrain -
The race travels along the portion of the Mountains to Sea Trail known as "The Shut-In Trail". The trail was originally an access trail for George Vanderbilt to reach his hunting lodge on top of Mt. Pisgah. You can expect about 3000 of elevation gain, very technical single track and virtually un-run able climbs in many places.
Does anyone have experience with this run/hike? I can't open the results window and I was wondering the min/max completion times. Any takers for this run in November?

full conditions
03-15-2010, 10:37
Distance -
18 miles from the North Carolina Arboretum near Asheville, NC to the trailhead for the Mt. Pisgah summit.
Terrain -
The race travels along the portion of the Mountains to Sea Trail known as "The Shut-In Trail". The trail was originally an access trail for George Vanderbilt to reach his hunting lodge on top of Mt. Pisgah. You can expect about 3000 of elevation gain, very technical single track and virtually un-run able climbs in many places.
Does anyone have experience with this run/hike? I can't open the results window and I was wondering the min/max completion times. Any takers for this run in November?

I've run it five times in the last 15 years or so - its horrible, an absoulte misery, I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. I'm planning on doing this fall. The men's record is under 2.5 hrs (not too sure about the women's). Most mere mortals fall somewhere between three and four hours - but there are plenty of finishers in the 4+ hour range. If you plan to do it here are a couple of points that may help (although nothing really helps):
*get your application in as soon as registration opens - its limited to 200 participants and fills almost imediately. Its kind of a cult race.
*train on hills almost exclusively - uphill. Long uphills. Steep. Many miles worth.
*get a couple of training runs in on the actual shut-in trail prior to the race - esp. the upper half.
Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Chaco Taco
03-19-2010, 10:05
The climb outta the Arboretum is looooooooong.
This is a pretty popular race. Black dome is advertising for it

modiyooch
03-20-2010, 08:19
I'll be in Asheville today. Might just check it out.

modiyooch
03-20-2010, 08:20
The climb outta the Arboretum is looooooooong.
This is a pretty popular race. Black dome is advertising for itwhat is black dome??

bwb49
03-20-2010, 09:20
Black Dome is an outfitter in Asheville. Located at 140 Tunnel Road