PDA

View Full Version : Smokies in july

ike1985
03-14-2010, 18:49
Hey everybody, the only time i can go hiking is a in july, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the smokies are like in july in regards to:

people
flowers
weather
etc

I will be hammocking and using (undecided) a jrb no sniveller as a top quilt and a warbonnet 3 season yeti as bottom insulation. Is this overkill? I dunno what to expect from the smokies in july since i've never been there at all.

ike1985
03-14-2010, 18:50
my other thread:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=987788#post987788

Egads
03-14-2010, 19:21
Hey everybody, the only time i can go hiking is a in july, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the smokies are like in july in regards to:

people
flowers
weather
etc

I will be hammocking and using (undecided) a jrb no sniveller as a top quilt and a warbonnet 3 season yeti as bottom insulation. Is this overkill? I dunno what to expect from the smokies in july since i've never been there at all.

There will be people - mostly hikers
July is past the flower season
lows in the 50s/60s highs in the 80s/90s chance of thunderstorms
good bed selection for this time of year
I don't use bear spray We're not on the food chain of black bear the human voice is the best deterrent
fires in fire rings only
Hammocks are allowed at campsites
forget the mittens & balaclava, this is July we're talking about. bring a lightweight stocking hat

ike1985
03-14-2010, 19:50
There will be people - mostly hikers
July is past the flower season
lows in the 50s/60s highs in the 80s/90s chance of thunderstorms
good bed selection for this time of year
I don't use bear spray We're not on the food chain of black bear the human voice is the best deterrent
fires in fire rings only
Hammocks are allowed at campsites
forget the mittens & balaclava, this is July we're talking about. bring a lightweight stocking hat

My main insulation is probably going to be my montbell thermawrap if were expecting lows to be in the 50's. Stick with the 3 season yeti for the hammock, packa for weather protection + rain pants, 150wt merino baselayers bottoms for sleeping/possibly chilly night, merino/synthetic lightweight t's for hiking, nylon convertibles, smartwool phd's with coolmax liners x2, inov-8 shoes, synthetic undies x2, lightweight cap, that is most of my clothes off the top of my head.