PDA

View Full Version : Attractions on the LT

BostonAndy
03-14-2010, 19:30
What are some of the cool attactions on and just off the trail? I heard of alpine slides which I plan on doing. Anything else worth seeing or doing? I know VT has a lot to see and do.

Jeff
03-14-2010, 20:06
Bromley Ski Resort has not only an alpine slide but a wicked zip line as well.

Cookerhiker
03-14-2010, 21:29
If you're talking natural features, there's the ponds - Stratton, Griffith Lake, Little Rock, Sterling. There's great views in many places - Glastonbury & Stratton Mountains in the south but the best views IMO are in the north - the 50+ mile stretch from Mt. Abraham to Mansfield where you enjoy continuous views of Lake Champlain. In the far north, there's the LT version of Mahoosuc Notch - Devil's Gulch - but it's less than 1/2 mile.

Penne
03-14-2010, 22:33
Make sure you spend some time at Clarendon Gorge in the southern section. It is right on the trail. And Whistle Stop restaurant is just up the road from the Gorge. Belvidere Tower is point 2 (or maybe 3) off trail, but worth it. If it is a nice night, I'd sleep near the top of Jay Peak. You can sometimes take the lift down to the resort at the bottom of Jay for food. The ponds are good. Stratton Pond is my favorite and I like the shelter there. I also recommend sleeping on top of Peru Peak. There is a spot just big enough for a tent. There's a great view from the Killington spur trail. That's only point 2, and you can see the other 4 thousand footers you'll be climbing. That's all I have for now.

Penne
03-14-2010, 22:42
Two more things: Prospect Rock is great. Usually there is a trashcan there which is handy, and sleeping on top of Bromley at the Ski Hut is great, but bring water either from Bromley Shelter or Mad Tom Notch RD. I saw one of the best sunset and sunrise on my AT thru from the tower on Bromley.

Tinker
03-14-2010, 22:52
My favorite mountain on the LT was Jay Peak. It seemed a lot higher than it really was. The ski area took away from it a bit, though.
From Stratton Mt. I took the side trail to the gondola and got a free ride (back in the 1990s) down the mountain to a restaurant where I got a nice Reuben sandwich. I don't know what the policy is these days.

Cookerhiker
03-15-2010, 08:16
Another thought - if you can arrange your hiking schedule to stay at Butler Lodge (just a 4-sided shelter, not a real lodge) on the west slope of the Mansfield massif, you'll catch a gorgeous sunset over Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks.

Johnny Thunder
03-15-2010, 17:22
duck hollow shelter ( i think that's what it's called...just north of Waitsfield).

Long trail brewery. easy straight-shot hitch from the Inn at the Long Trail.

American Flatbread on Fridays-Sundays. I forget where this is...just after Lincoln mt.

NorthCountryWoods
03-15-2010, 18:51
American Flatbread on Fridays-Sundays. I forget where this is...just after Lincoln mt.

In Waitsfield on VT Route 100 just south of intersection of Route 17. Operating hours used to be hit or miss, even on weekends (not unusual in VT) but they've been more consistent lately.

Cookerhiker
03-15-2010, 21:24
duck hollow shelter ( i think that's what it's called...just north of Waitsfield).....

Are you referring to Duck Brook Shelter which is just north of Jonesville?

The first shelter north of Waitsfield is Birch Glen and the second is Cowles Cove - nothing special about them. Next comes Montclair Glen which is just before the ascent to Camels Hump, the best mountain on the LT in VT.