PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah Conditions

Toolshed
03-14-2010, 21:15
Planning to head there in early April. I'm looking for an update on snow, blowdown and any other general trail conditions.
Thanks

Blissful
03-14-2010, 22:29
Most snow should be gone, I'd think. Nice temps this week. But boy there was a lot up there last weekend. I love April in SNP.

Lellers
03-15-2010, 00:21
When you get back, can you post about the conditions, as I'll be headed there middle to late April.

ATsawyer
03-15-2010, 18:59
I had to cancel my crew's blowdown sweep of the AT in Shenandoah last weekend due to deep snow. Tried to work on some other side trails in Nicholson hollow but couldn't get to them due to high water from heavy rain and snowmelt. Water was literally sheeting off the mountain. Settled for a fire road walk to the upper trailhead of Robertson Mt. At the summit of Robertson (3300') I was still post-holing to my knees in the remaining snow drifts. Made crosscutting BDs an adventure.

The roar of fast moving water echoed through the hollows the whole day.

By early April though, the crews should be out working the overwinter BDs.

mikec
03-15-2010, 20:40
I drove the northern section of SNP yesterday. The road is clear and there are patches of snow on the mountains. I got out and hiked a short bit of the AT where it intersects the Jenkins Trail. Again, occasional deep patches of snow, alot of blowdowns, the temps were hovering right at or above freezing and there was fog and mist. Not a nice day to be out on the trail. The ranger told me that the south section of skyline drive was closed due to blowdowns across the road.

Toolshed
03-16-2010, 00:55
Thanks for the info. I am lookinmg forwatd to getting back downthere for some spring wildflower hiking. It sounds like the snow will be long gone by then. I'll post a TR for others.
Thanks

Chance09
03-16-2010, 10:52
I hiked old rag last thursday and there was still a ton of snow. I bet the rain we've had this past week has melted most of it thought. I'm planning on doing a two night trip this week so i'll let you know how the conditions are when i get back.

Hobbler
03-16-2010, 22:42
Yeah!...As of today, both gates to SNP and the BRP at Rockfish Gap were open for the first time since the December 19th blizzard. The north and central sections of SNP have been open for some time, but the Southern section was hit the worst and has remained closed until now. Looks like the A/T trail heads along Skyline Drive and from points along the BRP are finally accessable. I will be driving down one or the other to do some leg work on the A/T Soon! It has been a long...long winter...Yeah spring!

Rocket Jones
03-17-2010, 06:26
Radio report this morning called for a possibility of more snow in higher elevations over the next week or two.

peakbagger
03-17-2010, 09:47
In 2002 I did a section hike southbound from the southern gate of SNP to Damascus. The first few weeks are up on the ridge crest until Troutdale. It was a lot colder than I expected. Many nights the temps got cold enough that our water bottles would partially freeze. The temps rarely got much over 60 F during the day. It was nice hiking weather in the sun out of the breeze but any shade or wind and it got cold. I would expect that those conditions could occur in SNP. At a minimum its important to have a good warm hat, gloves with a widn barrier and windbloc fleece or a soft shell jacket. A goretex jacket works, but its hard the internal layers to keep dry due to perspiration. I would consider a 20 F bag and possibly a liner as my 30 degree bag didnt cut t on a couple of cold clear nights where we didnt sleep in a shelter.

We did a lot of campfires in the evening (plenty of down wood from the winter) so be careful with the synthetics as they melt easily.

Chance09
03-21-2010, 16:38
i just did an overnight from Bearfence Mtn Shelter to Stonyman parking area and the snow was melting. We may have walked on a half a mile of snow over the 18 mile section we hiked. The blow downs were not as bad as i expected either.

Blissful
03-21-2010, 19:32
Hiked the AT by Hawksbill today, still pockets of snow with snow / ice right on the trail on the western facing side of the mountains. Clear elsewhere.
Big Meadows wayside is open and yes, they are stocking fuel canisters (though pricey)

Lellers
03-21-2010, 19:54
woo hoo! It sounds like SNP is waking up for the season. This is the first national park I ever visited, so it holds a special place in my heart. I'll be in Yosemite later this year, but while I'm there I'll be wearing my SNP shirt.

johnnybgood
03-21-2010, 21:26
Just returned from a weekend hiking Shenandoah and was amazed at how quickly the snow had melted away.
I only ran across small snow fields here and there while hiking, usually in gaps where the sun has trouble reaching .

The sun was out early this morning and was quite warm as I changed into shorts and rolled up my sleeves.

I only encountered 1 blowdown in the 9 mile stretch from Skyland to Marys Rock.

Thanks to all the volunteers for their hard work and dedication .

ATsawyer
03-22-2010, 18:47
Where was the BD? I chainsawed from Skyland Stables to Meadow Spring trail (just short of Mary's Rock) on Saturday. Could you estimate the diameter?

Lemni Skate
03-22-2010, 19:28
Definitely been great weather last 10 days and another nice 10 in store for us. I was up in Highland County on March 20 and there was pretty much no snow left.

As for SNP, it definitely can stay cold throughout the Spring. I hiked the park in late May. It was low thirties every night and definitely got below freezing a couple of nights. I went 10 days without seeing 60 degrees or higher.

Chance09
03-31-2010, 20:06
Hiked the AT by Hawksbill today, still pockets of snow with snow / ice right on the trail on the western facing side of the mountains. Clear elsewhere.
Big Meadows wayside is open and yes, they are stocking fuel canisters (though pricey)

The wayside was open? I got there around 5 and it looked closed and under renovations. This was a week or so ago. They had the windows and doors covered by white sheets.