PDA

View Full Version : newest video (JMT)

karoberts
03-14-2010, 22:17
Here is my newest video, this one is of the JMT (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiEbvrjhHzk

In case you haven't already seen them, here are some other adventures:

AT Damascus->Harpers Ferry (2009)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwI91x0Yks

AT Harpers Ferry -> Kent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO3G0tETuEU

sidebackside
03-15-2010, 13:19
Good video.

nitewalker
03-15-2010, 15:01
great video. i have been wanting to do the jmt forever. i just cant find the time during the summer..too much work!!!!

apudreamer
03-15-2010, 16:29
Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing :)

scottdennis
03-15-2010, 17:26
Those are kick butt videos! I do good to get something with a disposable camera! Thanks for sharing.

d.o.c
03-15-2010, 18:10
liked this alot i cnt wait for my pct thru hike

Helmuth.Fishmonger
03-18-2010, 13:06
nice

"Glen Pass (hard)"

looks a lot like Forester Pass ;-)

Jester2000
03-18-2010, 13:38
Really enjoyed your video. Also liked the Summer on the AT one.

Jaybird62
03-18-2010, 20:02
All very nice....thanks for sharing.

tuswm
03-23-2010, 17:30
Nice video. I plan on doing the JMT in 2011 or 2012. I plan on doing it with my GF. we have alot of our gear already but just out of cuiosity how cold was it in august? what where your coldest nights? And what kind of cooking set did you have? canister, alcohol, white gas? Where did you resuply?

karoberts
03-23-2010, 18:52
nice

"Glen Pass (hard)"

looks a lot like Forester Pass ;-)

Oops, might have been. I was having trouble identifying some of my pics! :-)

YoungMoose
03-23-2010, 18:54
i like all of your videos. i subscribed

karoberts
03-23-2010, 18:56
Nice video. I plan on doing the JMT in 2011 or 2012. I plan on doing it with my GF. we have alot of our gear already but just out of cuiosity how cold was it in august? what where your coldest nights? And what kind of cooking set did you have? canister, alcohol, white gas? Where did you resuply?

It was in the 50s-80s during the day and freezing at night. Coldest it got was 17 degrees one night.

We cooked with a cat can stove and denatured alcohol. Very light and efficient, even over 10,000 feet.

We resupplied at Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, Vermillion Ranch, and Muir Ranch. We only mailed a bucket to Muir and just bought from the stores at the other places. If we were to do it over, there are several things we would do differently. For one thing, Vermillion has a really limited store. If you want more info about resupply, let me know.

twodifferentsocks
03-25-2010, 15:22
That made me smile:)

tothetrail
03-25-2010, 20:59
We resupplied at Tuolumne Meadows, Reds Meadow, Vermillion Ranch, and Muir Ranch. We only mailed a bucket to Muir and just bought from the stores at the other places. If we were to do it over, there are several things we would do differently. For one thing, Vermillion has a really limited store. If you want more info about resupply, let me know.

Thanks so much for posting that! I would love more insight on resupply. I'll be doing the trail this summer, at the end of August.

Can you comment on those things you would do different?

karoberts
03-25-2010, 22:12
Thanks so much for posting that! I would love more insight on resupply. I'll be doing the trail this summer, at the end of August.

Can you comment on those things you would do different?

Okay well, there isn't too much good info out there about resupply, so I can say a few things that might help.

Tuolumne Meadows: a decent store with enough stuff for a short (4 or 5 day) resupply. It is very expensive and has limited and adequate supplies. Rather than mailing a box, I would recommend just shopping the store.

Red's Meadow: a small store with less than Tuolumne. Very limited selection and also overpriced. It can still be used rather than mailing a box, however.

Vermillion: A poorly stocked store, which seems mostly stocked from the hiker box (what other hikers have left behind after mailing themselves stuff). The store also has mice, so check what you buy to make sure it is not chewed into!

Muir Ranch: They don't sell food, just things like chapstick and toothpaste. I heard tell that they had an amazing hiker box, NOT so in my experience. Also, they clean the hiker box of things like toothpaste and sunblock so that you cannot get them for free and are forced to buy at their little store (at least they did this while I was there).

What I would do differently is pack my food differently. I actually had food spoil in my Muir Trail Ranch bucket because it gets SO HOT! If I was to do it over again, I would pack TWO buckets into Muir Trail. One with resupply stuff, and one full of soda, beer, canned food, etc. and have a grand old time at the hot springs and then you can leave your trash at Muir Trail Ranch!

shoe
03-26-2010, 00:14
Another great video from you. Thanks so much for sharing.

tothetrail
03-31-2010, 14:22
Great info on resupply options, that really helps.

I really appreciate your posting all this valuable info!

Rambler
03-31-2010, 22:28
Nice job. I like the captions and music. Did you have a tripod for the flower close-ups. My pics of flowers are always a blur.

NB. You can mail a re-supply to the store at Red Meadows which is just off the trail. The rest rooms had hot water in the sink. There is a restaurant right there, too, that serves a hearty lunch. One can make good miles south out of Red Meadows...not too steep after the switchbacks.

Hanging food on a pole along the AT? I thought black bears climbed trees.
Great bear photo, BTW. Guess it would help if we learned to bark. I had a cousin who learned to bark in case unwelcomed visitors came to her apartment door.

Don't mean to distract, but....
http://sectionhiker.com/2009/07/02/how-not-to-hang-a-bear-bag/

tothetrail
04-04-2010, 13:37
[QUOTE=

What I would do differently is pack my food differently. I actually had food spoil in my Muir Trail Ranch bucket because it gets SO HOT! If I was to do it over again, I would pack TWO buckets into Muir Trail. One with resupply stuff, and one full of soda, beer, canned food, etc. and have a grand old time at the hot springs and then you can leave your trash at Muir Trail Ranch![/QUOTE]

Thanks, good tip!