PDA

View Full Version : Front Pack

partinj
03-15-2010, 12:02
Do any of you guys carry a front pack to carry your ever day need like camera at guide
and snack for while you are hiking. Here is a picture of the one i was thinking about
bringing

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/opactest/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg

JustaTouron
03-15-2010, 12:07
I am thinking my next pack might be one of these.....

http://www.aarnusa.com/

I know nothing about them other than from their website...but the concept makes perfect sense.

leaftye
03-15-2010, 12:15
I thought about it, but I think it'd get too hot. I've opted to use shoulder and hip strap pouches because they don't trap heat. Snacks go in the hip pouch, gps/camera and eyeglasses go in the shoulder pouches.

white_russian
03-15-2010, 12:28
I carry a Wet Rib and it is amazing.

icemanat95
03-15-2010, 13:10
I carry a wet rib as well. Plenty good for maps, snacks and at-hand water. Not too hot or in the way too much. I sweat a lot, so ventilation is pretty important to me.

Inwoods
03-15-2010, 13:52
Just another thought or option. I cut the lid of my pack (Dueter act lite 65+10) . then made a very lite belt for it that attaches/ detaches when i need it. I use this as a day pack when in town. I also made a small atachment on the back of the lid that attaches to my hip belt.When its not in use on me, it reataches realitively easy back on to my pack where it came from.It works well for me, and serves as a multiple use item

Inwoods
03-15-2010, 13:54
Oh , and the whole modification weighs only about an ounce

scooterdogma
03-15-2010, 14:05
I have the AARN pack and it is not any hotter than a normal pack for me. The balance (front) pockets have an aluminum stay in them which you bend to place the pockets away from your body. The weight of the pockets sits on your hip belt. You can get as much air as you want, and you can see your feet and ground between the pockets. The balance pockets sit high enough on the hip belt so your thighs don't bump them while you are climbing. I love this pack. It is very comfortable and all the stuff I need for the day is within reach WITHOUT taking the pack off. Plus, my back or shoulders feel great at the end of the day.

DISCLAIMER/ I am not affiliated or do I own stock in AARN, just love the pack :sun

cowpoke
03-15-2010, 14:56
I bought a marmot fanny pack and just turned it around....carries two water bottles, camera, map/trail guide, snacks, etc....don't really noticed it. cheers.

SawnieRobertson
03-15-2010, 14:59
I have the AARN pack and it is not any hotter than a normal pack for me. The balance (front) pockets have an aluminum stay in them which you bend to place the pockets away from your body. The weight of the pockets sits on your hip belt. You can get as much air as you want, and you can see your feet and ground between the pockets. The balance pockets sit high enough on the hip belt so your thighs don't bump them while you are climbing. I love this pack. It is very comfortable and all the stuff I need for the day is within reach WITHOUT taking the pack off. Plus, my back or shoulders feel great at the end of the day.

DISCLAIMER/ I am not affiliated or do I own stock in AARN, just love the pack :sun

So, Scooterdogma, did you get it mail order/online without trying it on first? Or did you find a way to try it prior to buying it?--Kinnickinic

Lellers
03-15-2010, 15:03
I have an inexpensive fanny pack that I just turn around and wear in the front. I used that for the first time on a week-long trip last October, and it was very convenient. I have an REI UL-45, and it's not really easy to get into (top load only), and it's small. I thought about making some modification to the hip belt to add some pockets and pouches, but the pack is already several years old and is showing wear. I've re-stitched some seams, too. It's just not worth working on it very much. I'll probably buy another pack next year, so I'm going with the fanny-pack-in-front until then. I keep my camera, snacks/lunch, chapstick, and map in there. It's easy to access. The only problem I had with the fanny pack was that a wear spot quickly appeared where it was rubbing against the buckle of my hip belt. Some duct tape on the thin spot on the fanny pack, and adjusting the fanny pack to ride a bit below the buckle did the trick.

bigcranky
03-15-2010, 15:56
Wet Rib is great, but it stays on the pack all the time. I now carry a small waist pack that carries camera, wallet, headlamp, lip balm, etc., and is always on, even when my pack is not.

Mountain Wildman
03-15-2010, 16:16
I am planning to add one or two of the Granite Gear Belt Pocket.
http://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CF239rb2L._AA300_.jpg&size=17&dhm=4c6dab53&hl=en (http://www.whiteblaze.net/product_url?q=http://www.amazon.com/Granite-Gear-Belt-Pocket-Right/dp/B001F1PR9M&fr=AHP5n82se_pulZ5JfQqlod2iB-NRBIOiiYzifxqPUvUxBkGHtpC61D28Xq-Opqh3Z3gQSo4h3VbhTKY3L8qzl6OfxYYPk_Sr79lOuP_X8XlM0 eeA_TLQH4AFbp8Cqn7KsRJMbnuipcH0f3AMJrO5Y18AAAAAAAA AAA&ei=g5WeS7rtLZDjlAeQ0OSGBA&sig2=0mc0-zKe7Ld_Sm5_7SvWyQ&gl=us&hl=en)

Blissful
03-15-2010, 17:02
I use a small marmot front pack I got from Winton at Neel Gap. Love it.

scooterdogma
03-15-2010, 18:41
Hey Kinnickinic, I bought it without trying it. I researched and tried on a lot of packs. My previous packs were a Lowes Alpine and a Granite Gear Latitude Vapor. I could not get a hold of one of the AARN packs to try out. I talked to DanaMac, with AARN USA endlessly on the phone. He sent it with the stipulation I could return it if I was not satisfied. He sent it, and the rest is history. DanaMac is great to work with, I found him very helpful. The pack is very comfortable.

Jonnycat
03-15-2010, 18:46
I have a little camera pouch on my hipbelt, and use a water bladder with a hose to drink from.

When it's time for food, I stop and take my pack off.

Less is more.