PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing

LimpsAlong
03-15-2010, 17:53
Whats a good way to waterproof maps? I print out just the ones I need and most times write notes on them.(takes the place of a journal)
So, any solutions for a waterproof (or resistant) treatment that you can write on?
Thanks,

GA BASS
03-15-2010, 18:13
laminate, print on plastic

scottdennis
03-15-2010, 18:19
I saw some printed out maps in a water bottle full of water at REI the other day. I didn't really pay any attention to what point they were trying to make, but I was impressed that the map in the bottle was in pretty good shape. (No noticeable damage to the map.)

Perhaps some of the REI employees on here know what product their pushing with that setup. It's certainly waterproof that's for sure.

Rocket Jones
03-15-2010, 19:23
For light water resistance you can use the spray fixative sold in craft stores. Comes in matte or gloss and dries very clear. Do a test, some brands may work better than others.

leaftye
03-15-2010, 19:27
Some people say good things about Aquaseal, at least when they prepare a tub of it and dip their maps in. I've only used the brush and didn't like it at all.

I'm personally having my thru-hike maps printed with a color laser printer on regular paper, and then storing those maps in a zip lock freezer bag. Actually, I need to go pick those maps up from the printer right now.

mr. dribbles
03-15-2010, 21:43
Thompsons Water Seal-- $5 at Home Depot in spray can. Will seal lots of maps. I spray both sides and hang to dry with binder clip. Doesn't even make printer ink run.

Mags
03-15-2010, 23:50
Large ziplock bag.

garlic08
03-16-2010, 00:27
Or print your maps on this stuff:

http://www.riteintherain.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=8511&Category=

Wise Old Owl
03-16-2010, 01:07
Good question Limps Along and I like the previous suggestions. Your printer is using water soluble ink so no matter when it gets wet it runs all over the place so it has to be fixed or protected.

Most of the time I just print two copies and notes on the back (running the same page twice and pop it in cheep sleeves of plastic called sheet protectors, one can find at Staples.

Here is a more expensive idea for fixing the ink .

http://www.rei.com/product/684961

Or take the image or print on a thumb drive or disk and they will print it in Lazer Color on regular paper and it won't run at all for about the same price at the store.

leaftye
03-16-2010, 01:28
If you do go for a color laser printing service, I suggest Laserquick. The shop in Oregon quoted $75 for a set of color maps over 400 pages. Only worth it for larger orders because shipping costs will kill you on small orders. I'm getting a set printed locally right now.

Sailor (The other one)
03-16-2010, 04:42
Map Seal. The brush on. Used on Florida Trail Association maps I've purchased and on maps run off on my printer. Have used them in the rain with no problems.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21549

LimpsAlong
03-16-2010, 06:39
I like the Thompsons, looks to be the cheapest. Maybe Map seal if its as readily available. Can you use a ball point pen on either of the two options above?
I've used ziplocks and they work fine as long as you don't need the map when it's raining. And if you want to hike in the rain plan your hike when I do. I always get rain.
Thanks guys,

mr. dribbles
03-16-2010, 09:11
You can use pen or pencil on the Thompsons. I have maps printed on regular paper with an inkjet printer that are treated on one half only for demonstration when I do map and compass courses. The map will temporarily darken when wet, but its hard to tell it's been treated when dry. You might want to spray the map outside- the Thompsons has a smell to it until dry. Ziplocks are good until you have to refold the map in the rain.

Jaybird
03-16-2010, 09:19
Whats a good way to waterproof maps?.........ETC.................Thanks,

"Maps?...we dont need NO STINKIN' MAPS!"

section hikin' APr 24-May 8th NOBO Clarks Valley,PA to Greenwood Lake, NY (NY 17-A):D

LimpsAlong
03-16-2010, 10:31
"Maps?...we dont need NO STINKIN' MAPS!"

Usually I don't BUT sometimes I like to wander around jus' lookin'. I've had to use the map and compass when I finally "come to".

Wise Old Owl
03-27-2010, 16:42
Have you noticed your GPS for the car can find your parents new home when they deliberately moved away to Florida, but cannot take you to a trail head?:-?

Kerosene
03-27-2010, 16:52
Have you noticed your GPS for the car can find your parents new home when they deliberately moved away to Florida, but cannot take you to a trail head?:-?Trailheads typically don't have an address. I solved this by using Microsoft Maps & Streets to obtain GPS coordinates for the trail crossings I wanted my wife to pick me up/drop me off. Of course, one tool used decimal coordinates while another used minute and seconds, which was a pain to convert.

Kerosene
03-27-2010, 17:24
I solved this by using Microsoft Maps & Streets to obtain GPS coordinates for the trail crossings...one tool used decimal coordinates while another used minute and seconds, which was a pain to convert.I just found an option within Google Earth Preferences to display GPS coordinates as decimal long/lat instead of degree/minute.

Mags
03-27-2010, 18:06
I've used ziplocks and they work fine as long as you don't need the map when it's raining.

If you are talking quads, I usually just have the section I need folded so I can look right at the map THROUGH the Ziplock. This is true of even ones I can print.

If I am looking for a larger scale, most of the maps I use (e.g. Trails Illustrated or similar) are often printed on water proof paper already.

A tip, most water proof paper will stick together when folded and rip a bit when unfolded. Be sure to dry out the map completely before refolding it if possible...

Which reminds me, I have to unfold my TI map I used for skiing today. :o

Kerosene
03-27-2010, 19:19
I just StumbledUpon a site attempting to this site attempting to compile a worldwide list of GPS waypoints: http://www.waypoint.org/

The only Appalachian Trail waypoint I found in their database was for Cheoah Bald.

One of you guys with limitless time on your hands could enter in coordinates for all of the trailheads and shelters!

Sailor (The other one)
03-28-2010, 09:48
Can you use a ball point pen on either of the two options above?

Just used Map Seal on a photocopy of a topo of the Arbucle Tract here in Florida. Can use a ballpoint and a pencil on it no problem.

data recovery
07-20-2010, 02:01
Hello,
I read your post. I want to share some words. Just use the clear plastic covering stuff use its is cheaper. Do both side totally cover for waterproofing or you should laminate the maps will cost few money.
Thanks
Addie
http://www.datadoctor.biz

atraildreamer
07-04-2011, 10:35
I have used clear Contact Paper to cover my maps. You can get a 5 yard roll for a couple of bucks and cut it to fit you maps, just cut it about 1/2" bigger than the map so that you can seal the edges. It's not the lightest option, as you have to use a second piece to cover the back of the map, but it is extremely rugged, and you can write on the plastic with a grease pencil.

I was on the Long Trail many years ago and had a map of the entire trail, Listing all shelters and mileages, along with the AT section, that I had laminated this way. I showed it to a Long Trail NOBO thru hiker. After his eyes lit up when he saw the map,:eek: I gave it to him. BTW, the map was a freebee that used to be given out at highway rest stops and information booths. Haven't seen anything like it in years. Anyone know if they are still available? :confused:

Wise Old Owl
07-13-2011, 17:44
It was the special paper pack for ink jets. Holds the ink better.