PDA

View Full Version : Alterig a Dome Tent?

Stoviegal
03-15-2010, 18:08
I've been lookig over tent making threads, mostly tarp tents. Lately, I've been wondering is it possible to add a foot or two of height to a dome tent by adding legnth to the poles to raise it up higher. I know I would have to open the tub bottom to accomodate the new height, but, wondering if heightening the tent is even possible.

Any suggestings other than just buy a new tent?

Doctari
03-15-2010, 19:42
I can stand fully erect (I'm 5' 7" tall) in my shelter. I suggest going with a hammock & tarp if you need more head room.

Friday night I camped on / over what turned into a 3 - 4" deep swamp after 9 hrs of rain & was able to walk around (with wet feet :p ) AND all my gear was at least a foot off the ground.

I'm just sayin.

Franco
03-15-2010, 20:29
Stoviegal
I think that I know what you are after..
Things to consider.
Raising a tent by that much will greatly compromise the stability against wind and snow . The poles would probably need to be thicker to hold the shape for a start.
Providing that ,say,you have a solid 4 season design, you might be able to just add a section or two to each pole and end up with a tent that may work in sheltered areas.
You would need to change all of the zips. Not that easy and not that cheap either.
You also would need to match the fabric as they stretch/shrink at a different rate.
Maybe you could practice on one of the cheap dome tents that folk buy for $30 (someone will have a spare one) and see how you go.
Franco

Stoviegal
03-15-2010, 22:03
The tent I have gives a little over four feet of head room and I'm 5' 6". It's not an expensive tent, rather cheap to put it blank. Though it stood it better in heavy winds than my beach camp buddie's tent did this past fall. That was a sight to see.

I think cutting from the sides I can avoid the front zipper and make a new opening using velcro. I have see velcro openings on tents made by some other people. Maybe I could, maybe not.

This evening I did raise it up on some chairs, just to get an idea of how it felt to have more head room in it. I was able to step inside quite comfortabl and being a cheap tent, the floor has already streached making it possible to have that extra room.

I have a camping trip coming up, Easter weekend, but am too afraid to chop this little tent up before then in case I ruin it. Of course I could always substitute a tarp in it's place. Plus I was going to buy a bigger tent next month. What I hate is that I don't want a gigantictly wide tent, I just want more headroom. I don't understand why they dont make 3 person size tents with more headroom. I have a bad back and all the bending is a pain not just in my back.:mad:

I bought a screen room and thought about using that, but trying to cover that 10 foot tall thing is a pain in the buckass. I'm still taking the screen room, it opens in a flash and it folds up quickly, but that's just to use for some of us campers during the daytime hours when we're doing nothing but avoiding bugs.

Still why don't they make tents taller for single serve. How am I supposed to get dressed properly all bent over at my age.

d40mFc
03-30-2010, 15:40
Have you looked at teepees? They come with more headroom. Probably some extra weight over the little tents, though.

Stoviegal
03-30-2010, 16:26
Yes, I've looked at teepees. Too much work. After this coming, weekend, trip, I'm just going to get a bigger tent. Once I have the larger tent, just for the fun of it, I'll experiment with my smaller tent by adding an addional leg to the each of four ends of my short tent and from the top to add more fabric, so I don't have to alter the zipper opening. Once done, if it works out, I'll ad a pic to show how it came out.

If I ruin the little tent, no matter, I wasn't planning to use again after my newer purchase. I just like tinkering with things around the home. :)

mudhead
03-31-2010, 09:37
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48616

I know you said no teepees, but the headroom you are looking for...