PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Long Trail End to End?

JohnnyBongo
03-15-2010, 19:56
I'm contemplating a long trail end to end hike this summer, and wondering what people have spent to do the trail? I have all my necessary gear, so I'm strictly looking for a day to day expenses. I'm projecting a month to do the hike, as I have some friends and old haunts to visit on the way.

Side question; the GMC frowns on hikers beginning before memorial day, and it will be colder and muddier than later in the season, but has anyone started early May?

mweinstone
03-15-2010, 19:58
people have started every day of the year. no worries. and you only need 500 bucks. it of course could be done with less but that means less side trips and since you want to visit and hang out, you need the extra 200 i have alloted you. good luck sir or mamm

Roland
03-15-2010, 20:07
~

Side question; the GMC frowns on hikers beginning before memorial day, and it will be colder and muddier than later in the season, but has anyone started early May?

Southern VT received a few feet of snow two weeks ago. But the rest of the state has surprisingly little snow. The forecast this week is for temps approaching 50F, every day. If the trend continues, mud season could come early....and with any luck, will dry out sooner than usual. Otherwise, late April - early May are not good hiking months in northern New England. This year might be the exception....or not. Very unpredictable this time of year.

NorthCountryWoods
03-16-2010, 15:51
This year might be the exception....or not. Very unpredictable this time of year.

Thought the same thing last year, but then the rain came and didn't stop until July.

stranger
03-17-2010, 02:16
May would be insane in Vermont in many places, you'll see heaps of mud in August let alone May! I've always felt the absolute best month for another Long Trail thru-hike (I've done two) would be September! Not hot at all and cool, chilly nights!

On cost, the Long Trail is expensive. It's not like the AT where you can get $40 motel rooms, it's more like $80-100 B&B's with no TV! Plus it's New England, which is more expensive than the rest of the east coast IMO.

Awesome hike though, the Long Trail is my favorite hike of all time.

YoungMoose
03-17-2010, 19:02
im planning on spending between 350-400 bucks. im have a max set at 500 bucks

rcli4
03-17-2010, 19:10
I did it for 600. That included hotel and B&B. Inn at the long trail was 100 bucks. Five hundred should be fine. 600 included gas and tolls and bus ride from north back to the car in Williamsburg.

Clyde