PDA

View Full Version : The A.T-How To Prepare for and Hike It by Jan D. Curran

DapperD
03-15-2010, 20:20
All in all, I believe this to be a good read for anyone contemplating a thru-hike or an extended hike on the A.T. This book examines the different aspects of long-distance hiking, including the hard times when one may be likely to want to quit due to bad weather, terrain, etc...also has info on equipment, food and water, sanitation, and personal safety. The author hiked the A.T. over the course of two seasons, and the book also incudes info about getting to the trail, post offices close to the trail, and maps. I feel that this book is useful for people planning potential thru-hikes, as well as for people who simply want to read about the different aspects of it. There is also another review which can be read here for this book:http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/walking_retired/25148

kayak karl
03-15-2010, 20:25
the fact that HOW TO is in the title. i won't read it. just saying
KK

Roland
03-15-2010, 20:34
I recently learned that a guy I work with has dreamed of hiking the AT since childhood. To fuel his fantasy, I let him borrow some AT videos.

He watched the vids and enjoyed them all. But when he returned them, he asked if I knew of any "how-to" videos of the Trail.

One man's garbage is another man's treasure.

Lyle
03-15-2010, 22:20
the fact that HOW TO is in the title. i won't read it. just saying
KK

If I remember right, isn't it more of a compilation of what worked for the folks who were hiking when he did. He interviewed the hikers and compiled what gear they used, what the philosophies were, why they were out there, their motivations, their reasons for quitting or continuing, what illnesses they got, etc.

Keep in mind it was before the internet was so huge a part of the hiking community. Basically, what he did was gather a lot of information from experienced hikers, just like WB does today. No reason to avoid the book, actually was a pretty fun read, and I imagine would give potential hikers a lot to think about as they prepared. He didn't preach a right or wrong way to hike.

Kinda dated today, as far as gear goes, but attitudes, frustrations, physical limits are all the same.

I am thinking of the correct book right?

Alien Grey 1972
03-15-2010, 23:50
His first two books "The Appalachian Trail A Journey of Discovery and The Appalachian Trail Onward to Katahdin" are really good reads also.

DapperD
03-21-2010, 10:22
If I remember right, isn't it more of a compilation of what worked for the folks who were hiking when he did. He interviewed the hikers and compiled what gear they used, what the philosophies were, why they were out there, their motivations, their reasons for quitting or continuing, what illnesses they got, etc.

Keep in mind it was before the internet was so huge a part of the hiking community. Basically, what he did was gather a lot of information from experienced hikers, just like WB does today. No reason to avoid the book, actually was a pretty fun read, and I imagine would give potential hikers a lot to think about as they prepared. He didn't preach a right or wrong way to hike.

Kinda dated today, as far as gear goes, but attitudes, frustrations, physical limits are all the same.

I am thinking of the correct book right?No actually the book that comes to mind that fits your description is "Long Distance Hiking-Lessons from the A.T.", by Roland Mueser which I have also read and enjoyed. "The A.T.-How To Prepare For & Hike It" by Jan Curran is more of a book that provides information about how to plan your hike, information that will be useful and helpful once underway, and some of the difficulties (including physical and emotional) that will inevitably present themselves on the journey.

Speakeasy TN
06-17-2010, 05:28
As a thru-hiker in prep mode, I have this book. I like it more for the mileage charts than anything else. I'm reading everything I can get hold of because you never know where that missing nugget of info will be found that will make a difference in your hike. Oh I'll hike my own hike but if I can escape tripping over your rock............