PDA

View Full Version : I know it's a bit off topic, but. . .

scottdennis
03-15-2010, 20:56
is anyone else on here about ready to go fishing?

On topic, do any of you have a decent rod & real you pack with you when you hike. Every time I walk by a stream I can't help but to wonder "are the fish biting?"

moytoy
03-15-2010, 21:11
To answer your first Q. I'm always ready to go fishing.

I'm sure that some do but I just never have mixed hiking with fishing. I might walk 5-10 miles to get to a remoke fishing stream but I always carry a two piece fly rod. Most places I go to hike just don't have very good fishing. The southern AT is on top of a ridge mostly. In Fl I surf fish so not much hiking to that.

HiKen2011
03-15-2010, 21:14
Actually I have a backpacking rod and reel I had considered taking along but that would mean fishing permits in different states. Don't know if it would be worth it.

Detour

Mountain Wildman
03-15-2010, 21:27
I'll be packing this with a small tackle kit, Since it only weighs 5 ounces, it's not too heavy.
http://penfishingrods.com/shop/product_details.php?category_id=13&item_id=152

Tuts
03-15-2010, 23:01
Actually I met a sobo kid back in September in the whites. It was a day before Mt. Mooselauke and he carried a telescoping rod and reel combo. He was poaching but he said that catching the natural brookies was incredibly easy in Maine and NH to that point. Apparently even the little trickle brooks always held trout in them. It was before and still is a goal of mine to backpack and fish as I go for semi-long distance. I picked up an ultralite rod from eagle claw which breaks into four pieces. Now I'm looking for a good ultralite reel. I'm thinking about going LLBean but am still researching. Oh and btw, I would get a license for the state I was in... I'm planning on doing that for the Long Trail this spring and I'll get one then.

jesse
03-15-2010, 23:11
A neighbor of mine got caught poaching trout in North Carolina. They lightened his wallet by $500.

HiKen2011
03-15-2010, 23:32
Catch and release is the only way to go on native trout, al least here in GA. One person can wipe out a stream in no time. May be different in ME. I'm not sure

Detour

Tuts
03-15-2010, 23:40
Catch and release is the only way to go on native trout, al least here in GA. One person can wipe out a stream in no time. May be different in ME. I'm not sure

Detour
Lot of trout in Maine. No reason to throw them back in the high country as long as you stick to the legal limits.

HiKen2011
03-15-2010, 23:44
That's great to know, if I make it that far I'll have my rod mailed to me.

Thanks,

Detour

Graywolf
03-16-2010, 00:12
The easiest and legal way to poach fish is to first make a poaching bag. Most make these out of parchment paper..

Get your fish of choice and season it to your liking..I get fresh herbs and lemon slices and b put them into the cavity of the fish or you can also use filets/steaks..Season the out side (if using a whole fish) I like to add a bit of wine/sherry to the mix..Put your fish into the poaching bag and into the oven..Usually takes about 5 minutes or so..All your basically doing is steaming the fish..Once finished, take it out then enjoy...emmmmemmm good!!! You just poached a fish...Legally...:D

Oh by the way, I hear Two Forks in Georgia has great trout fishing...

Just a thought..

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 00:14
Ha, i just went out for the first time today, just me my dog, a cooler w capt-n-coke, subway sub, a pole,a tub of shrimp, and a pork knuckle(for the dog), it was awesome.