PDA

View Full Version : ATC Member benefits?

desertnomad
03-15-2010, 22:56
You’ll forgive the stupid question, but I am from the Rocky Mountains and have only been on the AT a half dozen times.
I’ve been an ATC member for a couple years now. Are there any benefits to thru hikers if they are a members of the ATC (discounts on hostels, etc)? Is it worth renewing now (my membership expires while I am on the trail) or can I do that on the trail somewhere?
Thanks in advance for the info!

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 00:59
Not sure about the ATC, I have not joined yet, I did just join the Appalachian Mountain Club New Hampshire Chapter and I do believe I get a discount at any of the Huts throughout the Whites and maybe beyond, Have not looked into all of the benefits yet.

Marta
03-16-2010, 06:52
You've probably already gotten the chief tangible benefit of ATC membership--a discount on purchasing the maps and any other publications. I don't recall any other discounts being offered along the Trail. I, too, allowed my membership to lapse when I was away from home, and not working, for six months. Reupped when I got home.

daddytwosticks
03-16-2010, 07:24
I've gotten 10% of cash/check purchases from Mountain Crossings outfitters when I show my current ATC membership card. :)

Alligator
03-16-2010, 09:29
I bet you could renew your membership at their office in Harpers Ferry, WV.

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2010, 10:31
I've gotten 10% of cash/check purchases from Mountain Crossings outfitters when I show my current ATC membership card. :)
thats exactly what i was going to say. dave at mt. rogers told me you used to get discounts up and down the trail! dave and jeff are great they always give me discounts for being a ATC member.

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2010, 10:35
i bought a life membership 10 years ago or so, it was 600.00 bucks. the only thing i didn't like was when it jumped up in price recently from 600.00 to like a 1,000 bucks in one raise of the price. i want to buy my daughter a life membership but that jump in price has me on hold.

Blissful
03-16-2010, 11:23
You do get discounts on their store, but I like the idea that they promote the trail, offer resources and support, and have a pretty good magazine. And I'm glad they had a hand in organizing to get our VA license plate.

chief
03-16-2010, 12:42
When I joined, I immediately started getting membership/money solicitations from every outdoor/conservation group known to man. Wonder how they got my address?

weary
03-16-2010, 13:33
The chief benefit one gets from joining ATC is the trail itself. Which would not exist as a continuous footpath had ATC not fought the political battles four decades ago to win federal protection.

One also gets a well-maintained trail with only minimal federal regulations despite the fact that most of the trail corridor is federally owned. ATC has been granted management responsibilities, which it in turn grants to the 35 or so maintaining clubs.

An uncluttered footpath is also a benefit one gains from ATC. ATC sets the standards for the entire 2,175 miles and oversees all the local maintaining club efforts in carrying out these standards.

And in addition to lower prices for maps, trail guides, books and some gear from its on line store, ATC membership results in reduced prices, or did, at couple of ATC hostels --one just outside Harpers Ferry, and the Bears Den Hostel.

Weary

Roland
03-16-2010, 17:46
When I joined, I immediately started getting membership/money solicitations from every outdoor/conservation group known to man. Wonder how they got my address?

There is a check box on the membership application (https://www.kintera.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4993369/k.8314/Become_a_Member/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?c=mqLTIYOwGlF&b=4993369&en=emK0KeNPIkJYL5OPJeKVL8PPJfLXKlPaLqI3KoO2IhIVL9M ZItI9KvJ) regarding mailing list information. You may have agreed to allow ATC to share your address with "other worthy organizations".

I'm a lifetime member and have never received solicitations from other groups, as a result of my affiliation with ATC.

coheterojo
03-16-2010, 17:58
Since I joined in 2004 I have never received a solicitation from any outdoor/conservation group. That being said, I feel an annual contribution to the ATC helps to support and improve the trail. The magazine is a pleasure to read and I do appreciate the above mentioned discounts as well.

After I finish my thru I hope to be able to pay back the AT in other ways as well such as trail maintenence. In the meantime I'll keep sending filthy lucre.

El Flaco

chief
03-16-2010, 18:54
There is a check box on the membership application (https://www.kintera.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4993369/k.8314/Become_a_Member/apps/ka/sd/donor.asp?c=mqLTIYOwGlF&b=4993369&en=emK0KeNPIkJYL5OPJeKVL8PPJfLXKlPaLqI3KoO2IhIVL9M ZItI9KvJ) regarding mailing list information. You may have agreed to allow ATC to share your address with "other worthy organizations".
Nope, I did not agree!