PDA

View Full Version : A new, great, reason to wear low gaiters.

Morpheus
03-15-2010, 23:32
Last November, hiking in the mud on the AT, I found another great use for my OR Rocky Mtn. Low Gaiters: Convertible pants stuff sacks!
Cold in morning- keep pants legs on. As the day warms- zip off the pants legs and stuff into the gaiter. Plenty of room.
Cool off at dusk- pull up and zip on. No time or sitting required.
Last September, the south side of Big Bald was covered with stinging nettles. It would have been nice to quickly pull up the pants legs for protection if I had thought of it then.

This spring I'm trying this technique with PrAna Mojo shorts and Specialized leg warmers.
The Mojo's have a smooth wide elastic band with no strings or belts to pinch or abrade. The leg warmers are made for cycling, but I've found them great on mornings cooler than 50'.

Let me know if you try it and like it. :)

Franco
03-16-2010, 02:40
I am thinking ...sweaty feet.
My bandanna gets used at times on my wrist to warm my hand , seems to me that the same will happen down there.
Franco

mykl
03-16-2010, 11:10
I think its a good idea. How many miles can be wasted thinking about stopping to remove the legs. I've been there, but then again, I don't use gators much. At least good to do until you stop to eat, need a break etc.

Two Tents
03-16-2010, 11:16
There are lots of gaiter haters here but for those who use gaiters and zip off pants, how can you not like this idea. Morpheus, you da man! Best idea I heard this year! Thanks!

peakbagger
03-16-2010, 11:48
It looks a little strange but stuffing the zip off pant legs down into the top of my socks works just as well as gaiters. I used to use low gaiter for this purpose, but found that in warm weather if made for hot feet. About the only time I use low gaiters now is in sandy conditions and mud season.

With size 13 EEEE feet, I dont have the option of sliging the pant legs over my shoes.

mudhead
03-16-2010, 12:34
peakbagger has flipper feet. neener neener

Morpheus
03-16-2010, 13:43
Some people definitely sweat more than others. I'm on the drier side. I wear leather Goretex Asolo boots, Smartwool med. crews. If you align gaitor top with sock top and push down to almost top of boot, your feet won't be hotter than without gaitors. I've tried without them.
Dust becomes mud when it mixes with your sweat. Not only wil it get your socks dirty, but if you are wearing membrane (Goretex, Etrex) lined boots it clogs the breathability.

brooklynkayak
03-17-2010, 10:54
There are lots of gaiter haters here...

It depends on where your hiking. Sometimes gaiters aren't needed and other times they are required.

It's rare to see people hiking desert areas with loose pebbles, cactus,... without gaiters.

The Appalachian trail is a different story.

Morpheus
03-17-2010, 14:49
I suppose I should have named thread " a great new use of gaitors ( for those who where them). Hikers are as divided over gaitors as poles, filter, hammocks, and healthcare.