PDA

View Full Version : Microspikes!

hellomolly
03-16-2010, 08:15
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I thought I'd give a short suggestion to people who are planning a thru in the upcoming days and weeks. A person I know who is thruhiking right now has told me repeatedly that his microspikes have been an absolute godsend for the conditions in Georgia and North Carolina.

Here's a link for those who haven't heard of them: http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3667589

I have a pair myself and and love love love them for snowy/icy conditions in which snowshoes would be far too cumbersome (which is basically 99 percent of the time in my opinion, lol). The person I know who is thruhiking said he's met so many people who either use yaktrax, which easily slip off your feet and break due to wear spots, or nothing at all and seem to really struggle in certain conditions, whereas his microspikes have prevented any sort of bad falls, slipping or such and have allowed him to keep a good pace despite varied conditions.

He mentioned that a lot of people who don't have any sort of footwear attachment seem to be from areas that don't see a lot of snowy conditions. I've read a bunch on people's journals about how they are having trouble keeping traction, slipping and going really slow through the slippery spots. In these cases, I think microspikes would be really great. They're on the heavy side when compared with yaktrax but they're sooo much better that I would think they're worth it.

Just a thought!

Maddog
03-16-2010, 08:47
i started feb 28...without spikes...im in north carolina...i dont think they are necessary...just extra weight and a hassle! happy trails! maddog:rolleyes:

Thrasher
03-16-2010, 08:51
I just ordered a pair about 30 minutes ago. I'm getting back on the trail this weekend. My wife and I were using yak traxs and hers broke after 7 days. They kept moving on our shoes and after a while became uncomfortable to wear them. They were helpful when they worked though.
I've read only good reviews for the kahtoolas. I would have gotten them first, but I decided to get something and picked up the yak traxs the day we left for our thru hike.

DocHolliday
03-16-2010, 08:56
Sure you don't sell microspikes? =P

P.S <3 Upstate NY. 6 more months and I'm there!

hellomolly
03-16-2010, 09:15
No I don't sell them. :rolleyes: Hey, it was just a suggestion. Buy them or don't, whatever floats your boat.

hellomolly
03-16-2010, 09:17
And maddog, that's great you don't feel you need them... but maybe that 'very difficult hiking' on blood mountain that you wrote about in your trailjournal would have been easier with them, perhaps? ;)

Elder
03-16-2010, 09:28
www.icetrekkers.com (http://www.icetrekkers.com)

The Diamond grips are great!
Mountain Crossings/ Neels Gap has some.

hellomolly
03-16-2010, 09:48
Hey, I've heard of those... heard they're pretty good too, except for the occasional ice build up. I wonder how they compare...

Snowleopard
03-16-2010, 10:33
The general opinion up here is microspikes are best, stabilicers are ok; Yaktrax aren't used by many anymore. Yaktrax is coming out with a new model next year; it sounds like they've listened to customer complaints. The icetrekkers are new and not much experience with them yet.
Crampons: when you need real crampons, you really need them (steep hard ice where falling is dangerous). They are sometimes needed above tree line in the White and Green Mts. and Adirondacks in winter. Out west, there are more situations where you'll need them. The microspikes and stabilicers can be used on rock and bare ground, so you don't need to constantly put them on and off. The microspikes go on faster than stabilicers.

Ice Axe: know how to use it before you take it; unlikely to need it on the AT except White Mts. in winter. There may be places on the PCT where you'll need ice axe and crampons, depending on snow conditions.

When it's cold enough it's not very slippery unless it's steep. When the snow is soft bare boots are fine. Ice is most slippery when it's around 32F.

tzbrown
03-16-2010, 11:18
I have tried most all of the traction aids and have found Microspikes to be the best. The only drawback is the weight. But you can send them home soon.

I have been following a couple of Trail Journals. Thrasher and Turkey was one. They started pretty early and battled deep snow and ice a lot. I see Thrasher is getting spikes before they start again.

mudhead
03-16-2010, 12:31
I just ordered a pair about 30 minutes ago. I'm getting back on the trail this weekend. My wife and I were using yak traxs and hers broke after 7 days. They kept moving on our shoes and after a while became uncomfortable to wear them. They were helpful when they worked though.
I've read only good reviews for the kahtoolas. I would have gotten them first, but I decided to get something and picked up the yak traxs the day we left for our thru hike.

You will love them. Yes they weigh, but you can carry less water, right?

That little short 2" skid, where you think you are going to dump, is what gets me.

Happy gription.:)

1azarus
03-16-2010, 12:38
...and not everyone is a thruhiker. i might be very tempted to NOT bring microspikes on a thruhike, but i certainly would want them on a section hike when i knew in advance to expect icy conditions...

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 13:36
WOW they even come in my size!! most thinks dont, lol, 14 mens