PDA

View Full Version : Very brief hike in Apalachicola NF - report

jbwood5
03-16-2010, 10:48
On Sunday 3-14-2010, I hiked from Camel Lake campsite, southbound, to near Hwy 67. The first 3 miles were nearly perfect, but soon after that we hit wet areas up to our shins. There is about 2500 feet of puncheons (bog bridge planks), but some of those were submerged and slippery and in many areas you had to slog through water where there were no puncheons. Ticks were just starting to appear in some places and we had some on our clothes.

The highlight of the hike was meeting this German Lady through-hiker who started in the south on January 21 or 23. She believes to be the only through hiker still going, as many started and abandoned due to cold and very wet Florida weather this winter. She told us of hiking through nearly chest high water in places and the day before we met her, the water levels south of hwy 67 were waist high in some places. Bradwell Wilderness area was supposedly bad. She talked about water logged frozen hiking shoes that she had to heat with a stove to soften them a bit before she could get her feet in them. She was a very interesting and tough person.

Just John
Seminole, FL

mike36fan
03-16-2010, 14:18
Sounds cool (except for the extra water)!

Gray Blazer
03-16-2010, 22:32
H R Huff and Puff is still going and is north of White Springs. He was reporting that the Suwanee section was a road walk with all the high water.

Red Dawn
03-22-2010, 16:15
i just did this entire section over a 5 day period - It was very hard -- Bradwell bay was most intense thing I have ever done. I saw three gators and fell into three sink holes that completely submerged me. It kicked my ass.

Snowleopard
03-22-2010, 16:48
Lil' Buddah is still hiking the Eastern Continental Trail and is now in Franklin on the AT, 1516.00 miles along. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=301038
I think he's heading to Newfoundland. It's an interesting journal.