PDA

View Full Version : NOC AT Conditions

Jack-Leg
10-05-2004, 22:29
Hi - I will be hiking from US 64 to the NOC in November and wonder if anyone knows about the trail conditions now. I would assume that things are OK (or close to normal) by now. Thought I would throw the question out there to see if there are any lingering problems from the hurricanes.

Thanks!

grrickar
10-14-2004, 12:36
I just hiked into the NOc from Hot Springs and the only issue we had was there were some large trees that have not been cleared. I'm thinking it will take awhile for maintainers to move all of those trees.

steve hiker
10-14-2004, 13:37
I did Fontana to U.S. 64 last week and had no problem. There is one area near Licklog Gap where the trail is washed out totally, but there's a flagged detour so you won't have any problem. Other than that, there are only a few blowdowns which are easily walked around.

Rain Man
10-14-2004, 17:40
Hi - I will be hiking from US 64 to the NOC in November and wonder if anyone knows about the trail conditions now.

I'm hiking from Wallace Gap, NC (that's just south of US 64) to Wesser, NC (NOC) this weekend. I'll try to remember to post a report for you.

Anybody want to tag along?
:sun
Rain Man

Jack-Leg
10-24-2004, 20:41
Thanks for the help! I will post a report when I get back.

Rain Man
10-25-2004, 07:07
I hiked the AT from Wallace Gap, NC to Wesser, NC (where the NOC is) on Saturday and Sunday, October 16 and 17, 2004.

The trail there is in excellent condition, with one major exception, a huge slide requiring a long detour (but the detour is in good condition).

From Wallace Gap to Winding Stair Gap, I saw numerous fallen trees freshly cut off the trail The trail maintainers have been very busy! There was a single fallen tree across the trail still, with an easy walk-around.

Just south of Licklog Gap, there was a huge slide that wiped out a large portion of the AT. The detour is about 3/8ths of a mile, I am guessing, and is marked with orange tape.

Just north of Cold Spring Shelter, there was another tree across the trail, which hikers have to crawl under. There is another very short section of trail washed out north of there, but the "detour" is only about 50 feet or less.

Anyway, the trail is in great condition and there are numerous fallen trees that have been cut off the trail... plenty of them over two feet in diameter.

Hoorah for the Nantahala Hiking Club!
:clap
Rain Man