PDA

View Full Version : Final Gear shakedown b4 GAME

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 14:05
Ill be leaving in 4 days and I just wanna make sure I have everything I need, also I was hoping for some feed back on what to change.
Golite Quest pack, Serria Designs 15 deg bag, Eureka backcountry solo tent, Neo air, GSR cook set, pocket rocket, large fuel can, sm fuel can(backup), Camera, cell phone, charger, mp3 player, Frisbee(double as a plate). pocket knife, leatherman micra, knife shapener, petezl e+lite headlamp, excedrin, 2 short sleeve syn shirts, beanie, syn baselayer(top and bottoms), golite vest, rain jacket and pants, syn long sleeve shirt, 2 pair smartwool, 2 pair underarmor, gold bond, sandels, playtpus, wine bag, trail book, reading book, first ad kit, TP, aquamira, rope, ace bandage, soap, tooth brush/paste, sleeping pad and tent patch kits, spices, lip balm. Is there anything im forgetting??????

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 14:22
Compass, maps.
small pillow or sack to stuff as pillow.
Lighter
pen and pad

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 14:22
Tent is a little heavy but you already have it.

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 14:25
bandana or towel
gloves

ChrisFol
03-16-2010, 15:02
Ill be leaving in 4 days and I just wanna make sure I have everything I need, also I was hoping for some feed back on what to change.
Golite Quest pack, Serria Designs 15 deg bag, Eureka backcountry solo tent, Neo air, GSR cook set, pocket rocket, large fuel can, sm fuel can(backup), Camera, cell phone, charger, mp3 player, Frisbee(double as a plate). pocket knife, leatherman micra, knife shapener, petezl e+lite headlamp, excedrin, 2 short sleeve syn shirts, beanie, syn baselayer(top and bottoms), golite vest, rain jacket and pants, syn long sleeve shirt, 2 pair smartwool, 2 pair underarmor, gold bond, sandels, playtpus, wine bag, trail book, reading book, first ad kit, TP, aquamira, rope, ace bandage, soap, tooth brush/paste, sleeping pad and tent patch kits, spices, lip balm. Is there anything im forgetting??????

Forgetting:
Fleece gloves
Underwear
Sunglasses
Compass
Maps
Poles
Pack liner or WP stuff sacks
Windscreen for stove
Lighter and matches or fire-steel and tinder
Deet
Bear bag/food storage

You could leave at home:
- A few of your baselayers, I count five in total, surely all of these are not needed? One to hike in and one to sleep in is all that is really required. If needed, throw in a warmer third baselayer.
- Knife sharpener, just sharpen before you go.
- Cell phone, battery will only last two or three days, there is no guarantee of a signal etc-- better to just leave at home. Nix the charger also.

You also have a lot of entertainment: mp3 player, frisbee, trail book and a reading book. All of these are optional and personal preference of course, personally I would ditch them all.

- Two knifes? nix one.

- Frisbee/plate-- nix, just eat out of the pot.

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 15:04
lighter, yeah and towel, my tent is only like 3lbs 3 oz, i would have to spend almost 3 times as much for and thing lighter, after doign a large section hike I never once needed paper, i do carry a golf pencil

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 15:24
Forgetting:
Fleece gloves
Underwear
Sunglasses
Compass
Maps
Poles
Pack liner or WP stuff sacks
Windscreen for stove
Lighter and matches or fire-steel and tinder
Deet
Bear bag/food storage

You could leave at home:
- A few of your baselayers, I count five in total, surely all of these are not needed? One to hike in and one to sleep in is all that is really required. If needed, throw in a warmer third baselayer.
- Knife sharpener, just sharpen before you go.
- Cell phone, battery will only last two or three days, there is no guarantee of a signal etc-- better to just leave at home. Nix the charger also.

You also have a lot of entertainment: mp3 player, frisbee, trail book and a reading book. All of these are optional and personal preference of course, personally I would ditch them all.

- Two knifes? nix one.

- Frisbee/plate-- nix, just eat out of the pot.
gloves not needed you have pockets, underwear was listed, sunglass no need never worn them b4 in my life, compess why? Maps are in trail book. Poles for what?? i forgot to mention pack liner, forgot to menton ido have a wind screen, i figured lighters was a given, i do have deet. bear bag is food bag + rope, all my clothes are lightweight so i can layer and i hate beening cold, knife shapener weight maybe 2 grams, and over 5 months your gonna need to sharpen your knife, 2 knifes i like to carve, cell phone will last weeks in between charging keepit off unless your using it. mp3 player i gotta have and it uses the same charger as my phone, frisbee i just gotta have it. u dont read a trail book for fun, reading book gotta have

ChrisFol
03-16-2010, 16:09
- Pockets are great, but they are no substitute for gloves. Your hands will thank you on those cold mornings and in the evening when you stop hiking-- also helpful in your bag at night and means you don't need as many layers.

- Sunglasses are going to stop your eyes from straining and eliminate headaches and migraines due to overexposure.

- Poles will help your knees, most so on descents than anything else. When I completed the CT I was thankful that I had them and in years to come, my knees will also thank me.

- Knives-- in all my time on the trail I have never used a knife for anything more than cutting spectra cord and salami, chances are that neither will you and thus a sharp knife of decent quality will last. In fact, you could get by just a razor blade or two. But if you insist on bringing two knifes and a sharpener then put them in your bounce box.

- XTRA clothes, bounce box them. No one cares if you smell and with a +20 bag, tent, baselayer and down vest you should be find for your entire trip.

- Cell phone, bounce box if you insist.

- Compass and maps is what I use-- it allows me to ditch the heavy and bulky guidebooks.

- reading book, most people are too tired to read a novel after hiking 10-13mile days and to be honest you will be too busy meeting trail folk to care about it

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 16:25
Take the battery out of the cell phone and the charge will last even longer, put it back in when needed.

Mountain Wildman
03-16-2010, 16:27
Curious, Which trail book are you taking, I havent decided on which one to get for my thru in 2011.

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 16:38
- Pockets are great, but they are no substitute for gloves. Your hands will thank you on those cold mornings and in the evening when you stop hiking-- also helpful in your bag at night and means you don't need as many layers.

- Sunglasses are going to stop your eyes from straining and eliminate headaches and migraines due to overexposure.

- Poles will help your knees, most so on descents than anything else. When I completed the CT I was thankful that I had them and in years to come, my knees will also thank me.

- Knives-- in all my time on the trail I have never used a knife for anything more than cutting spectra cord and salami, chances are that neither will you and thus a sharp knife of decent quality will last. In fact, you could get by just a razor blade or two. But if you insist on bringing two knifes and a sharpener then put them in your bounce box.

- XTRA clothes, bounce box them. No one cares if you smell and with a +20 bag, tent, baselayer and down vest you should be find for your entire trip.

- Cell phone, bounce box if you insist.

- Compass and maps is what I use-- it allows me to ditch the heavy and bulky guidebooks.

- reading book, most people are too tired to read a novel after hiking 10-13mile days and to be honest you will be too busy meeting trail folk to care about it
So main stuff looks good, i think. extra clothes will be dropped in warmer months, also if you tear up your guide book and only carry the pages you need its lighter than map and a compass, as far as the knifes i carve sticks alot/ make toys, and a good knife weights more than a crappy knife and my shapener. I just dont get sunglasses?? its alot sunnyer (uv index get up to 13 quite often) (in the mountains it never gets above a 7 or 8 uv index)where i live that anywhere on the trail so i think im good. just what i have seen on trail i have seen alot more peole fall on trail with then than without. I bet i read bout 80% of the nights im on trail, and no one really talks after dark anyways. you have kinda got me on the fence bout the gloves, its just last year, i never had them and i never rember my hands being too cold, nothing a pocket couldnt fix.

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 16:43
I carry the thru hikes hand book, i like that is has a graphic at the bottom of each page for elevation, its easyer to use i think. good tip with the phone battery.

mountain squid
03-16-2010, 17:06
Some observations:

definitely need gloves
hand sanitizer
needle for draining blisters
sun screen
ear plugs
whistle
duct tape
concur leave frisbee and reading book or at least until you have hiking legs (to tired in the beginning)
keep the guidebook
also concur need maps

Good Luck!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Class2010AT
03-16-2010, 17:32
ok i thing i will get gloves, hand sanitizer, i carryed it last year and never used it i tossed it after 200mi or so. O yeah i do need neddle and floss, sunscreen not needed, i do need ear plugs, whistle built into pack and headlamp, got duct tape, the frisbee and book in total weigh bout 12 oz thats worth it for me. I have never seen a thru hiker carry a map, i just dot get why you would the trail book has everything a map has and more.

ASUGrad
03-18-2010, 10:00
Hiking poles with the duct tape wrapped on the poles. I use ski poles I got from a thrift store.
Gloves. You need them badly.
I would not eat on a frisbee. Some of those plastics will absorb oils. I use a plastic soup bowl from a Chinese takeout. Take the lid. You can rehydrate in the bowl while you walk.