PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Kettles?

rustyb
10-05-2004, 22:34
I have seen enough reference of the Kelly Kettle to pique my curiosity yet not a whole lot of description or weights.

From what I understand, a fire is built inside a hollow double walled container creating a quick boil for non-cook meals. Is this correct? And are there light enough versions to make it a viable alternative to an alcohol or canister stove?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
r

orangebug
10-05-2004, 23:13
Have you done a Google search on it. I just did and found that a pint Kelly Kettle weighs a bit over 1 pound and involves what looks like an open flame. You use it to boil water, then attempt to pour it, potentially holding your hand on the handle over the chimney.

It looks to me that an alcohol stove, pot and pot cozy would do a similar job with less expense, weight and potential for fire.

PKH
10-06-2004, 07:11
The kettle weighs about 19 oz, and holds close to 3 1/2 cups. At first glance this would seem to be a heavy piece of equipment, but it deserves a second look. Bear in mind you will not be carrying any fuel, and if you have a cooking style that simply requires you to rehydrate your food, you will not have to lug a pot around either. So the 19 oz weight may be offset to a considerable degree. Having said that; there is no question that an alcohol burning system is the lighter.

I have used both and depending on the nature of my hike and mood I will continue to use both the Kelly or my Brasslite Turbo I. I consider them both excellent water heating "systems", but really they are like comparing apples and oranges.

First of all, the Kelly is amazingly efficicient. It is easy to light - not as easy as a liquid fuel stove or cannister stove- and believe me, because it is basically a natural chimney it burns like a blacksmith's forge. Water heating times are very quick, especially for refills when the kettle is already hot and and the base fire is going well.

I should point out that this is the only "stove" that I know of that functions better in a good breeze, so no messing around with wind screens. In fact, you will learn to welcome a good wind.

Yes, if you are careless you can put your hand over the open flame. You'll only do this once and quickly learn to use a stick to lift it off the fire. I use a extra tent peg.

An unanticipated side benefit of the kettle is a sudden wonderful surplus of hot water. Fuel is free and you are not concerned with making your precious alcohol or cannister last until the very last minute.

The kettle is bulky and this may be a factor for some hikers. Sometimes it is for me - it all depends on the the nature of the hike and the load I'm carrying. Remember however that the thing is hollow and I'm sure you can find something in pack to stuff in that hollow space.

Cheers,

PKH

orangebug
10-06-2004, 07:21
The thing is hollow, but it must be sooty as heck.

The pictures of it burning, and the nickname "Volcano stove", look like there would be risk ofburning embers and fire spread. Would this stove be allowed in NOGA, where we have had an open fire ban for years?

I'm tempted to try one, seeing that it is Irish.

Bill...

kncats
10-06-2004, 08:04
Try these links for more information:
www.kellykettle.com
www.oldjimbo.com/survival/kellystove.html

Looks like a clever device, but the ONLY thing you are going to be doing with it is boiling water. While my wife and I most often have meals that are of the add boiling water to a bag type, they're not the only foods we eat and I wouldn't want to be limited to them only due to my cookware. Also, given the description in the links of stoking the fire, it seems as though it would be hard to get the kettle back on the burner after you used some of the water.

As far as whether the Kelly Kettle would be legal in "no open fire" regions I would think it would be all right. I've never heard of a Zip Stove being prohibited.

PKH
10-06-2004, 09:12
Well yeah the insides are sooty - actually more of a sticky creosote coating. Anything I shove inside it is in a plastic bag of course. I have never had a problem with embers shooting out the top although I certainly can why you'd think you would. Those flames can come roaring out of the top! The Kelly leaves about the same signature as a Zip stove. That is, small pile of ashes that looks like the remains of a bon fire for six inch men. You shouldn't have problem getting the stove back on the base. I take a stick or tent peg to arrange the sticks - for the most part they're only thumb size, as for a Zip stove. Kncats is quite right. This is only practical for boil and wait types of meals. If you know that is all you are going to be doing for a particular hike then this can be a viable option.

I'm not really pushing this kettle - I certainly don't use it exclusively. I have used just about all types of back country stoves and water heaters and depending on the circumstances they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I guess I am most taken by the elegant simplicity of the Kelly Kettle. It is a beautifully designed and functional piece of kit.

Oh - this is available from Lee Valley Tools in Canada - worth mentioning because of the very favourable (for Americans) exchange rate.

Cheers,

PKH

TDale
10-06-2004, 09:29
Did anyone notice that there's a cookset that goes with the kettle? Looks like you can do more than boil water.

JimSproul
10-06-2004, 12:31
I bought and used the large size Kelly Kettle. It worked okay but only that. For example an Esbit tablet, burned in the kettle did not significatly heat the water. With sticks or paper you can get a boil quickly. It is big and heavy compared to a titanium pot and stove, even a canister stove.

I am clearing out excess gear. I plan to sell mine on ebay. It was a good idea, like the Zip Stove, but if weight is an issue, fuel is just not that heavy.

flyfisher
10-06-2004, 14:35
I built a couple prototype copies to get the design down to very light. I was able to get it down to 6.3 oz.

http://www.imrisk.com/kettle/ultrakettle.htm

I used it for one section hike and tired of the idea. It was the first twig burning stove I tried.

At one point I bought a Kelly Kettle, small size, but was impressed that it was too big and too heavy for my likes. I sold it on BPL before I ever built a fire in it.

My most recent twig burner is lighter, more capable, and less fragile:

http://www.imrisk.com/woodgas/coffeestove.htm