PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike Or Look For A Job?

Carbo
03-16-2010, 15:24
I'm looking for advice on a situation I've been struggling with for weeks.

I have been laid off effective July 1. I will be collecting 28 weeks of severance pay. I want to do a thru hike during that time, but I figure if I can get a job, plus collect the severance, I can pay off most of my debt.

I'm 63 and time is running out for a thru (because of age, not the late date of July 1).

Should I attempt to pay the debt or hike?

hellomolly
03-16-2010, 15:26
... you do realize that this is a forum of AT enthusiasts... right? ;)

Therefore I'm going to guess the vast majority of responses will be... hike! :banana lol

Carbo
03-16-2010, 15:28
:) I guess that's why I came here for advice. I know the answer I want to hear.

sidebackside
03-16-2010, 15:33
2 Choices:

1) Pay off the debt and attempt to thru-hike next year.

2) Thru-Hike now and pay off the debt later.

*The debt will definitely be there when you get back. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif The chance to thru-hike may not happen later.

My mom would not be proud of that commenthttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Lone Wolf
03-16-2010, 15:34

I have been laid off effective July 1. I will be collecting 28 weeks of severance pay. I want to do a thru hike during that time, but I figure if I can get a job, plus collect the severance, I can pay off most of my debt.

I'm 63 and time is running out for a thru (because of age, not the late date of July 1).

Should I attempt to pay the debt or hike?

the old saying goes "life is short". i damn near bought the farm a year ago from a massive heart attack. go hikin'

bus
03-16-2010, 15:44
Hike. You mentioned that you think your age may inhibit you from doing it at a later date.

I'd rather hike now when I can and pay off the debt later, than pay off the debt now and wish later (every day of later) that i would have hiked.

I face a similar situation when the Space Shuttle program ends. The Mrs and I and our soon to be here youngin, plan on using that time and the severence to live a an extended vacation in the Blue Ridge. After a year or so, it's back to work.

Do it. You know you want to. It may be a much needed break from the job grind and you will com eback rather refreshed and ready to work. Or totally ready to thru-hike again next year. :). I am guessing the later !

Miner
03-16-2010, 15:45
Everytime I get laid off work, I take it as an opportunity to take a really long vacation. The typical paid vacation time most companies offer in the US just doesn't allow for the sort of trips I dream of. Go hike. It's what I did last year.

Carbo
03-16-2010, 15:54
...It may be a much needed break from the job grind and you will com eback rather refreshed and ready to work.

This is very true, since I have never "not-worked" since I was 23. This open office crap is getting to me big time, and that movie "Office Space" should be dedicated to me. I happen to be at work now, and yes on WhiteBlaze (advantage of no longer giving a s***); and can hear six different conversations going on plus all the click-clacking of a zillion keyboards.

Snowleopard
03-16-2010, 15:58
It depends on your financial situation, especially retirement income in a few years.
I'd say put priority on paying off debt and getting a job. Getting a job can be hard at our age. On the average, I think chances of getting a decent job go down faster with age than the decline in physical abilities for hiking.

You may be able to collect unemployment compensation also.

Try to take a one month vacation when your job ends and hike the Long Trail, Cohos Trail, or an AT section.

Also, try to do weekend hikes in Catskills, New England, PA, etc. The rest of the week maintain an exercise program, so that when you have the time you can do some real hiking.

Bear Mountain
03-16-2010, 16:08
I believe the answer can be found in the following:
"What lies before you and what lies behind you pales insignificant when compared to what lies within you. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain.

The Flatulator
03-16-2010, 16:09
I just quit a good paying job to do another thru-hike this year. When I get back I will be looking for a job just like a good number of other people. At my age, I may not find anything that pays as well as what I am leaving. That being said.....Everyone always asks "How do you find the time to do a five month hike?" Answer is...You have to make the time. Something always comes up that can get in the way. Next thing you know, another year has passed. My advise is to make sure your heart is into it. I have always told others that hiking the AT is 10% physical and 90% mental. If you have doubts, aren't sure, don't have--most importantly--the desire, then look for a job and wait until the time is right. It took me 28 years to decide the time was right. I couldn't have done it last year or the years before, because I just didn't have "the urge". At least this year, I know that I can do the Trail again and do it all because I have "the desire". If you begin your hike and all you think about is "what am I going to do when I get back", "what about all that debt", etc., this will eat away at you and interfere with your enjoyment. Others may say hike. I say go with what your heart tells you is right. Best to get your finances in order and plan for next year as a reward for your hard work this year. Sounds like you know, in your heart, this is the right choice.

Carbo
03-16-2010, 16:10
It depends on your financial situation, especially retirement income in a few years.
I'd say put priority on paying off debt and getting a job. Getting a job can be hard at our age. On the average, I think chances of getting a decent job go down faster with age than the decline in physical abilities for hiking.

You may be able to collect unemployment compensation also.

Try to take a one month vacation when your job ends and hike the Long Trail, Cohos Trail, or an AT section.

Also, try to do weekend hikes in Catskills, New England, PA, etc. The rest of the week maintain an exercise program, so that when you have the time you can do some real hiking.

Wise advice. It's not what I wanted to hear, but it makes sense and I would feel comfortable following it.

Carbo
03-16-2010, 16:17
...Best to get your finances in order and plan for next year as a reward for your hard work this year. Sounds like you know, in your heart, this is the right choice.

Yes (gritting teeth) I know this is the right choice. Thanks to you, and every other person here, I think I'm closer to a good decision.

WalkSoftly33
03-16-2010, 16:26
I wanted to thru last year. I would have of had my one of my closest friends with me had I done it. But I waited until this year and planned my life to save up the money to afford the trip and put my life on hold.

Part of me says just go for it this year Carpe Diem *

Lone Wolf
03-16-2010, 16:27
next year might not come...

Carbo
03-16-2010, 16:44
next year might not come...
I hear you.

A quote that has stuck in my mind is 'As each minute passes, my life is closer to the end'.

Roland
03-16-2010, 16:57
Carbo, I don't know what industry you work in or what the odds are of finding a job equivalent to the one you're leaving.

It would be a shame to pass up the chance to hike and spend the next 6 months looking for a job, similar to your current position, which you never find.

If you're going to have to settle for a less desirable job, you may as well do so after having had the pleasure of a thru-hike.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2010, 17:27
You could stay home, watch TV and spend all your severance pay on fried food.

Or go hike.

bigcranky
03-16-2010, 18:36
You could plan for both things -- look for a job, and plan a hike. If you find a great job, take it. If not, hit the trail.

Given the state of the economy, and the few available jobs, you just might spend six months looking for a new job and not find one -- six months you could have been on the trail.

Or am I just rationalizing it? <grin>

Good luck whatever you decide.

Hawkwind61
03-16-2010, 18:38
2) Thru-Hike now and pay off the debt later.

*The debt will definitely be there when you get back. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif The chance to thru-hike may not happen later.

My mom would not be proud of that commenthttp://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif
This mom would tell him to go hiking. Like LW said. Life is short.

berkshirebirder
03-16-2010, 19:09
Sounds as if you're a pretty responsible person. I agree with Flat. How are you going to feel about not paying off your debt when you have the opportunity to do it?

If you're healthy enough to consider a thru-hike this year, the chances are you could hike next year and take more joy in doing it.

Good health is never guaranteed, but neither is completing a thru-hike.

txag
03-16-2010, 19:39
I have the same situation. Knowing that my time was going to be short with my company a year ago. Got on this site and with their advice made some gear decisions. As luck would have it I was laid off on October 29th with 24 weeks severance. Shortly afterwards the temperature here dropped to 45 and never rose above that until this month (I know I have been home a lot). The weather here has been just as bad relatively speaking as the Southeast.

I have also been working with a professional career consultant service to do resumes and other job search advice. Unfortunately, when you hit 50 your marketability decreases. Resumes are written to hide college graduation dates and how many years of experience you have. Still do not want to believe that this is true but I have sent out over 50 resumes in the last 4 months and heard NOTHING - period!!! Many other friends have similar results. 70% of jobs are found through connections - if you have some take advantage - otherwise it might be a prime opportunity to hit the trail.

My state allows receiving unemployment while getting severance pay. Would suggest you take it if you can. This little economic crisis was caused when people making big bucks made bad decisions for their personal gain - and the gov't bailed them out. Even though it is not much you may need the money down the road. It may help to raise your employer's unemployment tax rate in any event.

My pack is packed and sitting on the floor. Hopefully I can get out East after Easter and hit the trail for a few days with the crowds to see what it is all about. Things have kind of started to pick up and after 5 months the "ego" for some strange reason needs to go back to work.

I do plan on putting gas stabilizer in the fuel tank just in case......

Simba
03-16-2010, 19:45
I've spent the last six months looking for a job; no go, and if it was now I would have done a hike instead. So it goes...I will be using the end of my unemployment time to hike for two months this June. I say go for a hike; the economy sucks. I'm lucky enough to have someone staying at my house and watching the dogs; my fiance who is not outdoorsy.

HiKen2011
03-16-2010, 19:46
I agree with txag,

I have been out of work for i 1 1/2 and no one is calling me back because of my age. There are to many fresh faces out ther to hire an old geezer like me. I plan to leave April 2nd. Hope to see you out ther.

Detour

txag
03-16-2010, 21:09
We just might, Detour!!

I had considered continuing my job search on the trail (Droid equipped) but that would have been a stress that would would have "been a reason to quit the trail". When my unemployment runs out then we'll see where I end up......

Carbo
03-16-2010, 21:11
You guys/ladies are great. There is a lot of turmoil out there, especially off the trail. I really appreciate all the comments and help. It is ironic how the problems on the trail are so different than those in our lives when we try to live "off the trail".

DapperD
03-16-2010, 22:31

Should I attempt to pay the debt or hike?I really feel something like this is a very personal decision that really only yourself needs to make. Your current level of savings, etc...will all come into play and only you truly can/need to make an important decision such as this.:-? Good Luck

Tinker
03-16-2010, 22:37
Hike. No question.
Enjoy :).

The Solemates
03-16-2010, 22:47
I'd pay off the debt and then go hiking. Why not do both? But I would definitely pay off debt first, and then NEVER get into debt again....among many other things, it hampers your ability to hike :)

sbhikes
03-16-2010, 22:49
My boyfriend went to do his taxes and saw that someone had stolen all his money out of his online account. That caused him to realize that he defers everything he really wants to do in life. Tomorrow may not come. The money may not be there. His health may deteriorate. He could die. Go now, even if it's only a section hike.

Will the debt be gone in a year if you don't go?

stranger
03-17-2010, 02:08
Hey Carbo...you're 63, if you were going to get around to thru-hiking it would have happened a long time ago.

Most people do not ever get around to anything, that's really not how life works, you need to go out there and take things, you need to make decisions, hard decisions...and accept the consequences. It's really that simple, life is really that simple.

Someone just bankrolled you for 28 weeks! Think about what that means...that means you do nothing and collect a paycheck for 28 weeks, 90% of the people on Whiteblaze would do anything to be in your shoes!

Go hiking, don't think twice!

Bronk
03-17-2010, 03:46
Still do not want to believe that this is true but I have sent out over 50 resumes in the last 4 months and heard NOTHING - period!!!

My state allows receiving unemployment while getting severance pay. Would suggest you take it if you can. This little economic crisis was caused when people making big bucks made bad decisions for their personal gain - and the gov't bailed them out. Even though it is not much you may need the money down the road. It may help to raise your employer's unemployment tax rate in any event.

If you've sent out 50 resumes since last October 29th then that may be one reason you haven't gotten a job. I spend some time doing research on the employer and the job I am applying for and then I always write a completely new resume for every job I apply for, tailoring and rearranging my education and work experience to highlight knowledge and skills that are geared to the job and employer. That way, when someone from HR looks at my resume they are thinking "wow, this guy's perfect for the job."

Instead of blasting your resume out everywhere, find 3 jobs that you really want, and work on them non-stop until the hiring is over, adding a new job listing every time one of your 3 jobs has been filled. I've never had to apply for more than 3 jobs before being offered one, even in a recession.

And I say this as someone whom has been hired as the number one pick out of over 200 applicants, about 40 of which were given an actual interview. And my education and experience really aren't all that special, I just know how to sell it.

For the OP, you may have the option of taking your severance as weekly/bi-weekly paychecks or as a lump sum. If you take it as a lump sum you can turn around and file for unemployment as soon as you receive that last check instead of having to wait 28 weeks until your severence has run out.

Carbo
03-17-2010, 12:00
Stranger, I didn't thru hike a long time ago because I learned of the AT only five years ago.

I have to say thank you all, again. The comments and advice have helped me think deeply about what needs to be done.

In looking back on my life, there were many decisions I made. Whether they were good or bad decisions they always made my life more memorable.

Doctari
03-17-2010, 13:22
You are 2 years short of "Official retirement age" What are your options for retiring Early? You should be getting a SSI update on or around your birthday saying how much you will get if you retire now, & there (I think) is a number on the form for questions.
My dad retired at your age & always told me it was the best thing he ever did. Got to be retired for almost 5 years instead of just 2 had he waited (assuming same / similar situation: Drunk driver, crossed center line hit dad & his motorcycle head on).
Not to be a fatalist, but Like Lone Wolf Says: Next year may not come.
In your shoes, I would be packed & ready TODAY to be on the trail July 2nd. Actually, knowing me as I do I would likely say "Hey boss, give me 1/2 my remaining pay now [plus the severance pay] & I'll leave early" :cool:

stranger
03-18-2010, 02:18
Hey Carbo, sorry if my post sounded gruff...

You got this man! Go for it, like you said, we rarely regret the decisions we make, it's more the ones we don't make.

I hope you get out there and have a great time!

singingpilgrim
03-18-2010, 02:41
My gut says hike!

However, if you're really going back and forth, why don't you take the time to hike a sizeable section, let's say for a month. If at the end of that you don't want to leave, keep going (consider this before you go and plan accordingly) And if you're not enjoying yourself because you feel irresponsible, then go back to real life, but keep your exercise level up, and then go and do sections during vacation time. You might not be able to complete a thru-hike, but you could still be a 2,000miler!
That'd be my advise.

peakbagger
03-18-2010, 08:03
My theory is that 28 weeks of hiking is going to cost a lot less than 28 weeks of living at home. Unless your debts are a significant part of your expenses, your weekly severance check should cover 3 or 4 weeks of hiking. Therefore when you get back from the thru hike you should have a good chunk of money in the bank to fund your job search.

Secondly, if you do the thru hike, you are most likely going to be in the best shape you have been in quite awhile when you get done, which will go a long way in offsetting some of the age issues when looking for work.

mweinstone
03-18-2010, 08:12
i lost mine in oct. and im 3 months behind in rent and bills. and im goin if i can. allways go if you can. the trail can fix your body and soul and mind. whats money done for ya lately.

Carbo
03-18-2010, 10:01
Stranger, no you didn’t sound “gruff”. My hide is mighty thick (so is my head according to my wife).

Doctari, yep that SSI is not bad even if I start collecting a year or so early.

Anyway the plan taking shape is look for work May & June. Devote July to hiking the NJ NY CT section. Maybe catching a few tail-enders coming up from GA, shed a few lbs, and see if I have any issues with the hike/gear. If I land a job, hopefully start in Aug; if no job, alternate the hiking with job search until Dec.

The severance ends in Dec and I will be 64. If still no job I will apply for SS and start the planning for a full thru for March 2011.

Thank you all for your input. It is amazing how your ideas helped!

Carbo
03-18-2010, 10:20
Originally Posted by garlic08 http://whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=989982#post989982)
Please join me in congratulating Mags on his new job. He says having thru-hiked was a major factor in standing out among the scores of qualified applicants...

Do you believe it!!! After I thought I had it all planned out, I just read the above and now I am wondering if this is one of those coincidences that has an important message for me.

neighbor dave
03-18-2010, 10:32
hike, and never look back

DocHolliday
03-18-2010, 10:34
Man, just go.

Money is a non-factor compared to self accomplishment.

We made dollars, we didn't make perseverance.

berkshirebirder
03-18-2010, 10:59
...now I am wondering if this is one of those coincidences that has an important message for me. --carbo

There's also a chance you could win the lottery, Carbo. Luck vs. probability.

Mags
03-18-2010, 12:14
Do you believe it!!! After I thought I had it all planned out, I just read the above and now I am wondering if this is one of those coincidences that has an important message for me.

Heh..don't use me as a good example necessarily. My life is a very open Google book (if you will). Googling potential employees seems to be par for the course. Two potential employers were a little concerned ( a lot)..and who knows who else that DIDN'T reply back to me.

OTOH, it did help me in this case for what could potentially be a fantastic job. (It was the hiking, along with my writing, public speaking, being quoted in outdoor publications and workshops I've done that helped, too.).

The new company is only 10 yrs old, so still a very dynamic mind set. They also saw how the attributes that help a multi-month hike (and having experienced related activities mentioned above) also works well in a business.

But, this is becoming a thread-jack. :)

The gentleman who suggested a 1 month hike and then assess probably has the best advice for your situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Marta
03-18-2010, 12:29
Carbo--Unless you have a line on a very, very likely new job, the worst of both worlds is that you hang around home for six months or a year, don't hike, and don't find a new job either. My suggestion is to put out some resumes while you're pulling your hiking stuff together, and then go hike. If a serious job prospect turns up, you can always stop hiking, temporarily or otherwise, and follow up on it. The AT is not that deep in the wilderness. You'll be passing through towns all the time, and can get cell phone reception more often than not. If something happens that you need to deal with, you'll be able to return phone calls and show up for appointments, as long as they're made two or three days in advance.

Good luck!

Carbo
03-18-2010, 13:57
Mags - thanks for the clarification. It did give me a thought about going after the outdoors-type companies for a job if one has a thru-hike under the belt, but that may be the same rationale if a booze hound thinks they have a better chance of getting a job at Seagrams.

Marta - good idea. It also will give me a good excuse for carrying a cell.
A worse scenario is being out on the trail half-way through the first day and getting a call to come home for an interview.