PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Hiking 3/27-3/31

cschriner999
03-16-2010, 17:21
I'm setting out with a buddy on 3/27 and we want to hike for 4 days. We've been told the Smokey's have too much snow at that elevation so we've been looking at Northern Virginia. Does any one have any suggestions for 4 day hikes in lower elevations and perhaps even the corresponding shuttles that would be able to help us?

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

Cookerhiker
03-16-2010, 19:07
Re. Northern Va, you're talking Shenandoah National Park. I suggest you hike one of the 3 districts for your 4 days with the Central Section between Thornton Gap/Rt. 211 and Swift Run Gap/Rt. 33 as my first choice for you for a few reasons. One, you can base-camp at Big Meadows in the middle of the Park. Two, since you need a shuttle you can contact Skyline who operates one based out of Luray a few miles from Thornton Gap. His website is www.mvshuttle.com (http://www.mvshuttle.com) And third, the central section has some neat features including Hawksbill Mt, the highest point in the Park at >4,000', other viewpoints e.g. Stony Man, several waterfalls, and a possible side trip down White Oak Canyon and up Old Rag if you don't mind several thousand feet of elevation change.

Finally, the Big Meadows wayside is open if you want nice meals. Here's the full schedule (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/facilities-opening-schedule.htm) of what's open.

You're not likely to have crowds at all. Just be prepared for cold nights. Daytime weather can run a broad range that time of year from light snow, cold rain up to warm sun with 60+ temps. Wildflower-wise, you may be lucky enough to see some bloodroot. You surely will see deer and wild turkeys.

For your hikes, you can buy the PATC map and if desired the guidebook to circuit hikes in SNP at the Big Meadows Wayside. Or depending on your travel time schedule, stop in at ATC Harpers Ferry to pick them up - it's only slightly out-of-the way when coming from NYC.

Hope it works for you and you have good weather.

Marker
03-16-2010, 23:12
I agree...Shenandoah Central is perfect for 4 days (That is what I did last Spring Break) I have used mvshuttle during breaks the last two years- great service. Doing so again during the same timeframe as you, but will be completing the southern section. North section is a nice hike-slightly shorter than central or south.